The Student Room Group

EEM exchange with Princeton?

Hi guys,

I'm aware that Oxford has an exchange programme with Princeton for students in subjects such as Biochemistry, Engineering etc... Engineering students, unlike others, do their exchange in the 4th year, during which I presume they are doing their final year project.

I wanted to know whether Engineering, Economics and Management (EEM) students are also allowed to apply for this exchange programme. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Reply 1
On the course pages linked from this page, it is mentioned under Engineering but not under EEM. As the EEM course basically follows the Engineering course until you get some Management in the second year and Economics in the third year (i.e. it becomes more multi-disciplinary as it goes on), I would guess the exchange isn't available. But I don't know for sure, so if I were you I'd ask the department: [email protected].
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I sent an email to the address you gave about two weeks ago but still haven't gotten any response (probably due to holidays). If anyone else could provide any input in the mean time then that would be great.
Reply 3
Original post by CocoPop
Thanks for the reply. I sent an email to the address you gave about two weeks ago but still haven't gotten any response (probably due to holidays). If anyone else could provide any input in the mean time then that would be great.
Curious - did they reply and if so what did they say?
Reply 4
Original post by CocoPop
Hi guys,

I'm aware that Oxford has an exchange programme with Princeton for students in subjects such as Biochemistry, Engineering etc... Engineering students, unlike others, do their exchange in the 4th year, during which I presume they are doing their final year project.

I wanted to know whether Engineering, Economics and Management (EEM) students are also allowed to apply for this exchange programme. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Be aware that not all colleges will participate in this, for three reasons: firstly, they'll have to decide how to balance the credits you get there with the credits you get during terms at Oxford, and the effect on finals, coursework etc; secondly, because they may offer some financial assistance (dem Amerkins be pricey!); and thirdly, because generally speaking, exchanges like this go both ways, and they will thus have to accommodate for an American student or fellow in response.

Thus only some colleges will participate in this. Worcester, where I was, did Erasmus to European Universities (including Bonn and the Sorbonne) for very select students, and it basically involved you deferring a year; I can put you in touch with a theology student currently on her year abroad in Germany if you would like to ask her how she won over the college into letting her do this (I imagine it was something to do with her very high First in Prelims)! Keble has a very well renowned exchange for students of all subjects to Dartmouth University, another of the top ten US universities. St Benets have done exchanges to the Catholic University and to Ioana University. But it is very college dependent.

If the department aren't replying to you, I would try sending a message to whichever college(s) you're considering applying to - it will be them, rather than the department, who generally has a bigger say over where you spend your time during your undergrad!

Hope this helps

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest