The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bignic12
unfortunately, it is April 1st!!!!! Although would be a blast were it to be true :redface:

Ha Ha. Wondered if you would get it!
Good April fool though!

There's a lovely positive article on BBC today from a runner in the 5 miler yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17568175
Have a good day Eve. It was lovely to travel together and you were so brave about your back. No moaning whatsoever and I know you were in considerable pain. Would love to see the photos. Take care now.
Morning Peeps!

Hope youre all well? I'm paying the price for too much walking yesterday ..... aching and had to resort to popping the painkillers again :frown:

Still, the sun is shining and I'm sitting in a garden chair on the side of a road in Reading waiting for daughter and son-in-law to run past in the Reading half marathon. Good luck Jen and Glen xxx
It was a great pleasure to meet you all yesterday as I am sure it was a pleasure for you all to meet me - LOL.

I do hope all the enthusiastic "reserves" I met hear something positive very soon.
Reply 5326
Original post by fyrecracker
Morning Peeps!

Hope youre all well? I'm paying the price for too much walking yesterday ..... aching and had to resort to popping the painkillers again :frown:

Still, the sun is shining and I'm sitting in a garden chair on the side of a road in Reading waiting for daughter and son-in-law to run past in the Reading half marathon. Good luck Jen and Glen xxx

sorry to hear that you are suffering, at least you can rest your leg today and exercise your voice instead by shouting encouragement to the runners!!
I am having a lazy day today!
Reply 5327
Original post by wickedgrin
It was a great pleasure to meet you all yesterday as I am sure it was a pleasure for you all to meet me - LOL.

I do hope all the enthusiastic "reserves" I met hear something positive very soon.

I am sure it was a pleasure for you to meet me too :redface:

ditto for the reserves!!

hahahaha! Yep, lovely to meet you ...... I'll be watching out for the pink tellytubby withe pineapple hat!!!!

xxxxxxxxx

Of course! Hopefully it was a pleasure to meet me too - roll on May 1st! Just queuing up for the gold challenge at the stadium - very excited to see our new home!
Sitting in the stadium in the second tier so fairly near the action watching a relay. Very impressed wih the stadium but waiting for the sun to cross over to our stand. Half the seats are under cover so could be advantage being further back depending on rain/bright sun. Good atmosphere but only a third full at the moment.

Hope that Eve and Fyrecracker will feel better soon - thanks so much for the effort to come to our meet. Sorry I did not get to talk to Eve, Maid Marian, Cinnamon and Adelie very much but fingers crossed for you this week!
It was lovely to meet you all yesterday and good to see that South London in particular is obviously a hotbed of performance talent. Thank you to Commonliner and Flakeydom for their organisation - the spreadsheet is a thing of beauty. I was so excited this morning at the prospect of Daniel Craig parachuting down into the stadium - I hope if we're not getting 007 and the Queen in her acting debut that there's going to be something just as awesome to kick it all off.
Original post by Pinnerite
Sitting in the stadium in the second tier so fairly near the action watching a relay. Very impressed wih the stadium but waiting for the sun to cross over to our stand. Half the seats are under cover so could be advantage being further back depending on rain/bright sun. Good atmosphere but only a third full at the moment.

Hope that Eve and Fyrecracker will feel better soon - thanks so much for the effort to come to our meet. Sorry I did not get to talk to Eve, Maid Marian, Cinnamon and Adelie very much but fingers crossed for you this week!

Thanks Pinnerite. I've got all bases covered (Games Maker, Ceremonies Volunteer, Paras, Reserve) and I'm hoping that something comes good for me, they can't fault my enthusiasm and commitment!
(edited 12 years ago)
Did anyone hear that brilliant Radio 4 programme this morning all about the Olympics in 1948? it featured interviews with some of the athletes that took part.

It was absolutely fascinating. Some very interesting facts:

- Less than 10% of the competitors were women. One woman who did compete for Team GB talked about her diet in the run up to the Games, explaining that rationing was of course still occurring. As a result the only steak her and her parents and their household had, the one steak they had weekly would always go to her!

- Apparently it took 5 months for the New Zealand squad (all 7 of 'em!) to sail over- they'd train by running around the massive cargo ship transporting them!

- Due to a lack of volunteers, the hurdles were delayed by 45 minutes as there weren't enough volunteers to measure accurately the distance between each hurdle! That won't be the case this time round....
Reply 5334
Lovely to meet those who attended yesterday's meet up. Roll on the rehearsals :-)
Original post by timefortea
Did anyone hear that brilliant Radio 4 programme this morning all about the Olympics in 1948? it featured interviews with some of the athletes that took part.

It was absolutely fascinating. Some very interesting facts:

- Less than 10% of the competitors were women. One woman who did compete for Team GB talked about her diet in the run up to the Games, explaining that rationing was of course still occurring. As a result the only steak her and her parents and their household had, the one steak they had weekly would always go to her!

- Apparently it took 5 months for the New Zealand squad (all 7 of 'em!) to sail over- they'd train by running around the massive cargo ship transporting them!

- Due to a lack of volunteers, the hurdles were delayed by 45 minutes as there weren't enough volunteers to measure accurately the distance between each hurdle! That won't be the case this time round....

Yes, I heard it .... fascinating stuff! I also found out today that my dad, when he was a PT instuctor in the RAF, trained Jack Archer who won a silver medal in the 100yd sprint at the 1948 olympics!!!! Apparently, he would give my Dad a 10yard start, and still beat him! Amazing that Dad's never told me that story before!

xx
Original post by Pinnerite
Oh what a shame! Perhaps we can send you personally a group photo and we'll certainly report back on here! Not long till rehearsals now!

Thanks Pinnerite..that is awesome. How was the meeting? I bet you guys had fun yesterday and the place was buzzing with lots of pink tops?:smile: Ahhhhhh.. wish I was there..
Wow the offers have finally started to roll in. Many congratulattions to tinydancermum(for daughter), BowBoy, Martelldance and Funkybadger:smile:
Very pleased for you . This week is the decisive one for many as the time is really running out. Fingers crossed for all of you who hasn't heard yet. This week is the week!!
Original post by Nevvie
Ow man... just had an email asking whether I'd be interested in changing from 44A to 47A. Help! More dancing, which is what I thought I'd get initially. Not sure now.

Well it depends if you prefer more dancing or acting. I'm in 47A as well.
Original post by flyingpigs
I also have the opportunity to switch from 44B to 47A.

Whilst I wanted dance, I am currently going on the "deal or no deal" theory - I am more likely to regret the swap, having seen what section 44 get to do, than not swapping.... but two days to think it through.

Have a great meet up!

Thats quite interesting.. you are the third on this thread with the opprtunity to swap. It looks like the casting are doing a lot of shuffling around?
whatever you decide..no regrets:wink:

Latest