The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

One of the best. I would put Malanichev on top. 993lb raw walked out and buried.
I tried looking for that but it's monolift brah. Plus, doesn't look buried to me.
Original post by The Blind Monk

Interesting article. Is he saying that an arched back can slowly adapt to an increasing load or that a rounded back can slowly adapt to that? And is the second part saying crunches slowly weaken your spine as a rigid thing? Bit confused.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 143
Down to 80kg :eek:
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Interesting article. Is he saying that an arched back can slowly adapt to an increasing load or that a rounded back can slowly adapt to that? And is the second part saying crunches slowly weaken your spine as a rigid thing? Bit confused.

You should be lifting with either a slight arch in the back or at least your spine in neutral for the purposes of deadlifting safely. The quote I took from the article discusses adaptations to round backed deadlifting, which we were discussing earlier.

McGill's research implies that lots and lots of crunches are quite bad for many people's backs.
Jason suggested this for me: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/clearance-sale/strength-shop-zeus-ballista.html

Looks pretty awesome. Cheap sling shot/RAM from the looks of it. Kinda worrying that it talks about it splitting in the middle though but for £15 (from £25) it kinda seems worth it to give it a go.
It's an ok variation. Quite fun, especially if you have shoulder issues. It's kind of like a mini bench shirt. Unfortunately, I don't fit into the slingshot so it sucks for me.
It doesn't say anything about sizes which is kinda worrying. As you said, you wearing the above and Ronnie Coleman wearing the above would be two very different things.

Just seems like an easy variation of using bands/chains. Only £15 and if it doesn't rip as soon as I use it then it's not bad.
Reply 148
It's an ok variation. Quite fun, especially if you have shoulder issues. It's kind of like a mini bench shirt. Unfortunately, I don't fit into the slingshot so it sucks for me.

Dude, they have a Slingshot for people that weigh down to 120lbs. Just how the **** small are you?

http://www.howmuchyabench.net/store.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6

For UK buyers: http://www.reachfitness.co.uk/flexband.htm
(edited 11 years ago)
I mean the strength shop ballista, which they had at my old gym. I didn't fit into the one they had. I'm about 170cm/68-70kg.
I mean the strength shop ballista, which they had at my old gym. I didn't fit into the one they had. I'm about 170cm/68-70kg.

Oh right they had that one! My only worry is that it'll rip - kinda weird to say that it can rip for a large part of the description.

But for £15... very tempting. Plus, I can make the delivery charge worth it by also getting some wrist wraps and foam roller. Hmm, big order. =/
Reply 151

Oh I see, you said slingshot.
I dunno man, Tom was benching up to about 160kg with it and there didn't seem to be any problems. To be fair, he was also the only person to use it, but that'll be true in your case as well.

I'm just being retarded and referring to all of those type of devices like the Ram/Slingshot/Ballista collectively.
Reply 153
Original post by AdaD
I can get down glutes to calves, no problem, but just do not go really low when deadlifting.

ditto.
Reply 154
advice for getting through a bench plateau? </noobquestion>
Reply 155
Why do people want to bench for their arms more pushed towards their body? Is it for shoulder issues?

Also Mikey you experiencing shoulder problems when benching?
Original post by GQ.
Why do people want to bench for their arms more pushed towards their body? Is it for shoulder issues?

Also Mikey you experiencing shoulder problems when benching?

You mean tucking? Because you're gonna snap all your **** up if you don't. Don't need to tuck a **** load (unless that works for you) but some tuck is good. Try do it bodybuilding style - elbows flared out. Your shoulders will hate you for it.

No I'm not. However I did incline bench yesterday and that annoyed my shoulders a little. So I think I'll stick to DB work for inclines.

Edit: Monk, about how much did it add to his bench if you know? I'm assuming 'cause it's cheap it won't add a lot. Which is probably a good thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
He was raw benching 145-50 something at the time touch and go. Was doing 160ish on the slingshot. No way of really knowing how it was affecting his bench tbh. Also, 2pm for jumping?

GQ. some people are just stronger in a tucked position.
He was raw benching 145-50 something at the time touch and go. Was doing 160ish on the slingshot. No way of really knowing how it was affecting his bench tbh. Also, 2pm for jumping?

GQ. some people are just stronger in a tucked position.

2pm sounds good.
I know it's not strictly the same thing as tucked vs. flared elbows, but I've always found my close grip benching is almost identical in strength to a much wider grip. I have pretty dodgy shoulders and find it's easier on them too.

Latest