The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
I heard about shared rooms at Leicester, does anyone know how common they are?

I really really don't want to share, I'm on a ski season and I already have to share at the moment and it'd drive me mental sharing at uni!
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Everyone probably knows this already but just incase you didn't, accommodation is open now so you can apply, I applied yesterday :smile:
Reply 322
Original post by Sherbet
I heard about shared rooms at Leicester, does anyone know how common they are?

I really really don't want to share, I'm on a ski season and I already have to share at the moment and it'd drive me mental sharing at uni!

They're pretty rare, only in the odd case in some of the houses in the botanical gardens so far as I know. You certainly won't have to do it like at some Durham colleges etc. and could easily fill your accommodation form without using them.
Original post by Manisha93
Everyone probably knows this already but just incase you didn't, accommodation is open now so you can apply, I applied yesterday :smile:

Ooo, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 324
i just applied today!

GMS, JoFo and Beuamont as my choices :smile:
Reply 325
Beaumont is the way forward!
Reply 326
Original post by Larsson
i just applied today!

GMS, JoFo and Beuamont as my choices :smile:

Applied earlier today with exactly same choices :biggrin:
Reply 327
Original post by WNB

sweet! i went for all ensuite options with 2 self catered and 2 catered :smile:
Reply 328
Original post by Larsson
sweet! i went for all ensuite options with 2 self catered and 2 catered :smile:

Swell, i did 1 ensuite 3 single, with all self catered, JoFo being my first choices

Pretty sure i'll be seeing you around in October
Reply 329
Does anyone in catered accommodation know how strict they are on guests staying, I know they are not really allowed but I applied for catered accommodation for gms and Beaumont and self catered jofo, but want my boyfriend to stay! Thanks :smile:
Reply 330
Original post by WNB

I applied for the same! All with an ensuite and half and half catered self catered!
Reply 331
Original post by casi
Does anyone in catered accommodation know how strict they are on guests staying, I know they are not really allowed but I applied for catered accommodation for gms and Beaumont and self catered jofo, but want my boyfriend to stay! Thanks :smile:

Usually they aren't very strict at all about it. On move in weekend your residential advisor comes to the flats to introduce themself and they explain then or you can ask questions. I think if he was there all the time then there may be problems but if it is just for weekends and a couple of weeks it would be fine. you'd really have to get a jobsworth RA for it not to be ok.
Reply 332
Original post by L3ann3
Usually they aren't very strict at all about it. On move in weekend your residential advisor comes to the flats to introduce themself and they explain then or you can ask questions. I think if he was there all the time then there may be problems but if it is just for weekends and a couple of weeks it would be fine. you'd really have to get a jobsworth RA for it not to be ok.

Ah that's good! He's only going to stay once or twice a month for a night! Do many people have guests stay?
Can somebody explain these accommodation terms please?

Standard Single
Premium Single
Premium+ Single

Standard Double
Premium Double

Standard Ensuite
Standard+ Ensuite
Premium Ensuite
Premium+ Ensuite

Thank you in advance!
Reply 334
Original post by inspiration91
Can somebody explain these accommodation terms please?

Standard Single=Basically a normal room with bed, wardrobe etc. You would share all bathroom facilities. Quite uncommon.
Premium Single=Same as above but with a sink in the room, makes up the vast majority of single rooms.
Premium+ Single=Apparently only in Nixon and the Grange so if you're in Oadby not a concern. Don't know exactly what's different to others but Nixon's just been refurbed so probably just that they're new.

Standard Double=Guessing you mean twin, in which case same as above but you share a room. Rooms are massive by all accounts.
Premium Double

Standard Ensuite=Ensuite room, but the ensuite is a pod not a full room. NNot renovated particularly recently.
Standard+ Ensuite=Only in Opal, not sure what's different about them.
Premium Ensuite=Like standard ensuite but more recently renovated
Premium+ Ensuite=In the JoFo Pavilions up at Oadby, and apparently in GMS somewhere but I'm not sure where. Big rooms with full sized ensuite not a pod. I would say decorated in the style of Lenny Henry's favourite hotel chain.

Thank you in advance!

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/student-accommodation/your-room-types-explained
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 335
For those who have booked or planning to book a room in Albion Court, should bare in mind some Internet issues:
Firstly the assigned bandwidth for each flat (five person in it) is 0.6 Mbps.
Secondly the internet stops working almost everyday until the administrator restarts the router, which may mean more than a day without internet.
Finally, the landlord does not allow contracts with external internet service providers (i.e. Virgin Media).
Interesting to note that when I was booking the room through Westminor Properties they were promising 10 Mbps per flat, but it was not written in any contract!!
Reply 336
Original post by casi
Ah that's good! He's only going to stay once or twice a month for a night! Do many people have guests stay?

Yeah quite a few. I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Just accepted my offer for accom! Woo! Anyone else in Nixon Court? (I'm in block C!)
Reply 338
Just accepted my offer for accom! Woo! Anyone else in Nixon Court? (I'm in block C!)

have you got an unconditional offer?

i thought they only gave accomodation out once you have your results...

Ah I've applied for Nixon Court as my #1 choice- but haven't got an accommodation offer, nor does it say they're even processing my application yet.

My offer's unconditional - hope they get round to it soon.

Quick Reply

Latest