The Student Room Group

Highest requirements.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ben-smith
I guess you're trying to remember this

Damn. Knew he was SS, and a couple were pushing for 120s, but mixed up who they were. Alas!(You'll also note that this is a totally theoretical discussion for me, having only done I and II:p:)
Original post by Slumpy
You'll also note that this is a totally theoretical discussion for me, having only done I and II:tongue:

Your S1 is pretty impressive. I must say, I'm jealous that your Cam offer only required I+II.
Reply 42
Original post by ben-smith
Your S1 is pretty impressive. I must say, I'm jealous that your Cam offer only required I+II.

Only actually needed 12. They were well nice to me because I was from Scotland. They upped the offer to II/III by 2 years later though.
Original post by dugdugdug
Best result I've know and S and 1 is II and III.

I know the stats say 12% get S in III but does anyone actually know anyone who's achieved it or are they all members of the Chinese IMO team?

I know some of the 2007 intake who got SS and they were English. One got 120 and 114 and I assume one of the others was better than that.
Original post by DLP90
They are awful you should just give up now..................................People like you on this forum need to give your heads a wobble, you really annoy me.

i don't quit follow what you are trying to say so please explain in a constractive manner.

thank you.
Original post by kaboon-supreme
i don't quit follow what you are trying to say so please explain in a constractive manner.

thank you.

He's saying they're fine.

Personally I think they're fine, similar-ish to mine. Getting a B in core science will obviously seem odd but if you get As at AS level in the sciences then they won't care.
Reply 46
Original post by kaboon-supreme

thank you.

Basically, you know full well that they aren't bad grades. There are a lot of people who have achieved less than that and have done just fine for themselves, myself included.
Reply 47
Original post by hassi94
He's saying they're fine.

Personally I think they're fine, similar-ish to mine. Getting a B in core science will obviously seem odd but if you get As at AS level in the sciences then they won't care.

"She" :smile:
Original post by DLP90
"She" :smile:

Sorry didn't pay attention to who said what :smile:
Original post by hassi94
According to the Maths Applicants 2012 there's someone with an SS offer this year (for Trinity).

One of the people showing us round on the Maths open day at Emma last year had 3 S's and average of 98% in his A-levels :frown:

Obviously not STEP I, II and III!

What's Emma?
Reply 50
Obviously not STEP I, II and III!

What's Emma?

Could be, some people sit some in year 12.

Emmanuel college.
Doesn't make sense to sit I, II and III, even in different years, given I and III are purposely on at the same time so they're not expecting anyone to be doing all three.

Anyone know why there's no AEA in Further Maths?

Years ago MEI discontinued it.
Reply 52
Doesn't make sense to sit I, II and III, even in different years, given I and III are purposely on at the same time so they're not expecting anyone to be doing all three.

Well, it's not uncommon to sit I in year 12 if you did a full a level, just to get a taste for STEP, so that with a cam offer you'd sit all 3.
Original post by Slumpy
Well, it's not uncommon to sit I in year 12 if you did a full a level, just to get a taste for STEP, so that with a cam offer you'd sit all 3.

In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to take I and II in the first year and then concentrate on III in the second year?

In fact if you did this, you might just get an unconditional offer, if you already had I and II in the bag.
Are retakes of STEP allowed?

If someone did I and II in the first year and wanted to retake II along with III, is that possible?
Birmingham ,for medicine degrees, needs 8A*s at GCSE before you even get onto the A-level requirements.
Reply 56
In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to take I and II in the first year and then concentrate on III in the second year?

In fact if you did this, you might just get an unconditional offer, if you already had I and II in the bag.

II is much harder than I, so not really. To my mind, II and III benefit from you doing both at the same time.

And I don't see anyone getting an offer on I and II these days, let alone a year early(I know a guy who did II/III in year 12, and he still had to meet the rest of the standard offer in year 13 anyways).

STEP I and III are at different times, as of last summer. Warwick asked for them to be at different times, presumably to help those who Firm Cambridge and then put Warwick as their insurance.

There wouldn't be much of a market for AEA in FM, since you'd be looking at the same people as ar doing STEP (and AEA Maths). It would also be an interesting dilemma as to what the specification would be, since there is no common core for FM as there is for the Pure in Maths A level.
Original post by tiny hobbit
STEP I and III are at different times, as of last summer. Warwick asked for them to be at different times, presumably to help those who Firm Cambridge and then put Warwick as their insurance.

There wouldn't be much of a market for AEA in FM, since you'd be looking at the same people as ar doing STEP (and AEA Maths). It would also be an interesting dilemma as to what the specification would be, since there is no common core for FM as there is for the Pure in Maths A level.

I am surprised there's no common core in FM. Even more reason to have only one exam board.
Original post by Slumpy
II is much harder than I, so not really. To my mind, II and III benefit from you doing both at the same time.

And I don't see anyone getting an offer on I and II these days, let alone a year early(I know a guy who did II/III in year 12, and he still had to meet the rest of the standard offer in year 13 anyways).

Thats interesting because personally i find II the easiest (followed by I and III)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending