The Student Room Group

Factorials C2

Hi all, I'm working on sequences today however my textbook is not very clear on the topic of factorials. It gives very few examples. I am currently working through the questions at the end of the section but I am confused with the following:

Express as a factorial:

n(n^2-1)
8x7!

Apologies is these are very basic questions but the book only gives basic examples and explanation e.g. 8!/7!

If you could explain to me how I should approach Q's like that it would be much appreciated
Reply 1
You need to express 8 x 7! as a factorial?

The answer is 8!
Reply 2
Ok I get that, 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 but how do I approach the other Q:

n(n^2-1) as a factorial
Reply 3
Original post by vinvinvin
Hi all, I'm working on sequences today however my textbook is not very clear on the topic of factorials. It gives very few examples. I am currently working through the questions at the end of the section but I am confused with the following:

Express as a factorial:

n(n^2-1)
8x7!

Apologies is these are very basic questions but the book only gives basic examples and explanation e.g. 8!/7!

If you could explain to me how I should approach Q's like that it would be much appreciated

I hope this is want you want

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply 4
Ok I get that, 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 but how do I approach the other Q:

n(n^2-1) as a factorial

Factorise

n21n^2-1
Reply 5
Original post by steve2005

I hope this is want you want

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Apologies for not being clear, they were two separate questions. Thanks for the input though.
Reply 6

Express as a factorial:

n(n^2-1)
8x7!

The key is to recognise what a factorial is - it is simply the multiplicative equivalent of a series summation.

i.e. n! = 1x2x3x4x...x(n-1)xn

you multiply all the numbers from 1 to n (inclusive) together.

so to do 8 x 7!

7! = 1x2x3x4x5x6x7
multiply by 8
1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8

which is, just by looking at it, 8!

equally, if you want to do a!/b!, with b<a,
a! = 1x2x...xbx(b+1)...xa
b! = 1x2x...xb

cancelling all the terms that match leaves only (b+1)x(b+2)x....xa

for n(n^2-1)

recognise using difference of two squares that (n^2-1) = (n+1)x(n-1)
so you want to express (n-1) x n x (n+1) in factorial terms (find suitable a and b such that a!/b! gives this)
Reply 7
Original post by The Mr Z
The key is to recognise what a factorial is - it is simply the multiplicative equivalent of a series summation.

i.e. n! = 1x2x3x4x...x(n-1)xn

you multiply all the numbers from 1 to n (inclusive) together.

so to do 8 x 7!

7! = 1x2x3x4x5x6x7
multiply by 8
1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8

which is, just by looking at it, 8!

equally, if you want to do a!/b!, with b<a,
a! = 1x2x...xbx(b+1)...xa
b! = 1x2x...xb

cancelling all the terms that match leaves only (b+1)x(b+2)x....xa

for n(n^2-1)

recognise using difference of two squares that (n^2-1) = (n+1)x(n-1)
so you want to express (n-1) x n x (n+1) in factorial terms (find suitable a and b such that a!/b! gives this)

That is a fantastic help thank you, it's all clear now.

Quick Reply

Latest