The Student Room Group

Length of Triangle

the radius of a circle inscribed within a right triangle ABC is 2cm and the radius of a circle circumscribed about the triangle ABC is 5 cm. Find the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

a diagram wasnt given otherwise i would have posted it but im thinking its a circle within the triaangle then another outside and the hypotenuse of the triangle is 10 since the outer circle is radius 5cm

?

anyway thanks in advance
Reply 1
do you have a whole set of these to answer?

:biggrin:
Reply 2
Given that it is a right angled triangle

Consider the circumscribed circle

You know the length of the hypotenuse

durrr me ... you already realised this
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TenOfThem
do you have a whole set of these to answer?

:biggrin:

lol yeah its revisions i basically got problem sheet 1-21 to do for my may exams
btw the answer is 6, 8 and 10
Ok im stil stuck i dnt get it at all
Reply 6
Sorry I made an error earlier and then gave up ... I will take another look :smile:
Reply 7
Using For Working Out Stuff P3 copy.png

this works :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by helpmee1234567890
the radius of a circle inscribed within a right triangle ABC is 2cm and the radius of a circle circumscribed about the triangle ABC is 5 cm. Find the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

a diagram wasnt given otherwise i would have posted it but im thinking its a circle within the triaangle then another outside and the hypotenuse of the triangle is 10 since the outer circle is radius 5cm

?

anyway thanks in advance

I have tried to produce a diagram BUT I can't seem to get a better fit. So something is wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply 9
The inscribed circle does not touch the diameter there ... it splits it into 4 and 6

i tried it ,
it dont work i got some wierd answer
(2+10x)2+(2+x)2=100(2+10-x)^2 + (2+x)^2 = 100

gave me exactly the answers you expected

OHHH I GOT IT THANK YOUUu!

Quick Reply