The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by aeterno
:zomg: Sleep some more, you zombie!

Yay for you! :biggrin:

Took me 3 days to recover :colonhash:

Today is the last day I'm spending on my dissertation until I get back from the Easter break :woo:
Reply 801
Original post by Akkuz
Took me 3 days to recover :colonhash:

Today is the last day I'm spending on my dissertation until I get back from the Easter break :woo:

Holy crap on a cracker! :eek:

I've yet to receive my draft back. Must. Not. Panic. Must. Not. Panic. Too. Damn. Late. Panicking!
Reply 802
Original post by aeterno
Holy crap on a cracker! :eek:

I've yet to receive my draft back. Must. Not. Panic. Must. Not. Panic. Too. Damn. Late. Panicking!

When's your deadline?

My tutors going to have a look over Easter, after which I can make any necessary tweaks and hand it in.
I'm done. Well at least have finished something for every section. I can submit it for feedback before Friday, but I doubt my supervisor would reply. :frown:

But on the other hand relief!
Reply 804
Original post by Akkuz
When's your deadline?

My tutors going to have a look over Easter, after which I can make any necessary tweaks and hand it in.

Friday :afraid: I'm hoping there will be no major changes to make :erm:

How long will you have to make your changes before your deadline?
Reply 805
Original post by aeterno
Friday :afraid: I'm hoping there will be no major changes to make :erm:

How long will you have to make your changes before your deadline?

That's not too bad. 5 days should be enough? Your supervisor won't ask you to change large chunks of work.

I literally just finished my dissertation. Once I get it back I'll have around 7 days to make any changes, but I don't think I'll need to because my supervisor has already read most of my work. I might need to change one or two little bits here n there.
Reply 806
Original post by Akkuz
That's not too bad. 5 days should be enough? Your supervisor won't ask you to change large chunks of work.

I literally just finished my dissertation. Once I get it back I'll have around 7 days to make any changes, but I don't think I'll need to because my supervisor has already read most of my work. I might need to change one or two little bits here n there.

Yeah but it's not going to be 5 days once I get it back (whenever that is) :tongue: Eh, I don't know, maybe it'll need a few changes but it'll still be ok to get a first (in which case, I don't even care if I get it back the day before deadline) but if I'm borderline or something then I'll need all the time I can get to make sure it's up to scratch.

Hmm, it's good your supervisor has already seen most of yours so you at least know where you are - mine will have only seen it all now :erm:
Reply 807
Original post by aeterno
Yeah but it's not going to be 5 days once I get it back (whenever that is) :tongue: Eh, I don't know, maybe it'll need a few changes but it'll still be ok to get a first (in which case, I don't even care if I get it back the day before deadline) but if I'm borderline or something then I'll need all the time I can get to make sure it's up to scratch.

Hmm, it's good your supervisor has already seen most of yours so you at least know where you are - mine will have only seen it all now :erm:

If it's still ok to get a 1st, you have nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 808
Original post by Akkuz
If it's still ok to get a 1st, you have nothing to worry about :smile:

Let's hope so! :biggrin:
Emailed a lab in USA asking if they could send me some evidence regarding my IS which will prove my results so hopefully my supervisor will be pleased/impressed :smile:
Sent my first complete draft to my supervisor today. He emailed me to say "If I haven't got back to you by Monday, remind me" He seems to have no sense of the urgency that I do. Monday is the first day of the easter holiday and leaves me with two weeks till deadline
Reply 811
Hopelessly behind with my dissertation and my supervisor is on holiday until the 9th April - Nice that he told me that :frown: I have used survey monkey to obtain responses to my questionnaires. My questions are :

Do I cite that I have used Survey Monkey to obtain responses?

Can I use the graphs that the site produces in my dissertation or do I have to redo them all again so that it's my own work ?

Are you allowed to use colour in graphs/charts for your dissertation?

I understand that these are very basic questions, but my supervisor has been practically invisible during my dissertation and to be honest I feel like just packing it all in . The stress is driving me mad.

I would be grateful for any helpful responses.Thanks
Reply 812
Urgh, my motivation has deserted me. I intentionally stayed here at uni for two weeks after we broke up for Easter so I could write my dissertation, a complete draft of the whole thing. I have yet to write a word and I go home on Thursday :frown: I feel like I've wasted this time, I've been reading for it but nothing seems to be coming together argument wise. I'm not sleeping well at all and so I'm like a zombie in the daytime, unable to form a coherent sentence if I tried. I really don't want to be writing this damn thing when its exam time (my deadline is right in the middle) as I need to focus on revision! Argh! Coffee time I think...
FINISHED!!! - And Finally happy with it!!! 19,953. Handing in tomorrow :biggrin:
Urgh so behind at the moment due to 11 weeks of teaching placement which has enough work in itself :frown:. So still have analysis and conclusion to do, all the questionnaires still need analysed. Any advice on getting back on top of the work.
Reply 815
QUESTION

Okay... I'm doing my dissertation on how the EMU affects trade between Britain and adopting/non-adopting countries. (Basically looking at whether there is trade diversion.) The thing is, most economic models use log-linear models due to ease and the fact a lot of economists don't have a good enough grounding in mathematics/statistical theory to deal with other models. However recent work by Santos Silva and Tenreyro has found a PPML estimation method is much more apppropriate and reduces bias in the estimates.

However there has only been two instances of using this new method for economic modelling.

In your dissertation, would you be penalised for using a new/non-traditional method of analysis if it has a strong mathematical basis? Or is it more appropriate to simply stick with the traditional method and highlight the limitations of it, suggesting this new technique as one they may improve estimates?
Starting to panic on stats and different methods and phylogentic trees :frown:

I think I'll start afresh on that tomorrow and read up and email my supervisor tomorrow to understand it.

For now i'll finish another section on my discussion and hopefully calm down
Reply 817
Gahhhh... I've only written ~4000 words. :s-smilie: Was really hoping to have ~6000 words done at least, if not closer to ~7000. Why can't I just focus on work and not be distracted by TSR and Facebook?! :redface:
Original post by .ACS.
QUESTION

Okay... I'm doing my dissertation on how the EMU affects trade between Britain and adopting/non-adopting countries. (Basically looking at whether there is trade diversion.) The thing is, most economic models use log-linear models due to ease and the fact a lot of economists don't have a good enough grounding in mathematics/statistical theory to deal with other models. However recent work by Santos Silva and Tenreyro has found a PPML estimation method is much more apppropriate and reduces bias in the estimates.

However there has only been two instances of using this new method for economic modelling.

In your dissertation, would you be penalised for using a new/non-traditional method of analysis if it has a strong mathematical basis? Or is it more appropriate to simply stick with the traditional method and highlight the limitations of it, suggesting this new technique as one they may improve estimates?

I'm no expert but I was reading through some of last years dissos in my department. the person who used the most unusual and new method of econometrics got the highest mark. I would say mention the other method and also if possible try to do both with a comparison.

If you do cross sectional you are pretty much expected to do probit and logit so that you can compare despite there being an approximation between them.
Original post by .ACS.
Gahhhh... I've only written ~4000 words. :s-smilie: Was really hoping to have ~6000 words done at least, if not closer to ~7000. Why can't I just focus on work and not be distracted by TSR and Facebook?! :redface:

When you find an answer to that, let me know, please :sigh: Five hours in the library yesterday, and I produced as many graphs as I had facebook chats :getmecoat:

Having a minor diss panic. All data collection will be finished in the next 72 hours, but then I only have 26 days to analyse it all (and at a rate of 3 graphs to five hours, I suspect this may be a slow process) and write everything up. 8000 words to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending