The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Hi I need help on deciding what I should do, I've lived alone since I was 16 as I was born an orphan I am now 24, the problem is if I move into halls i don't have any home to go back to on holidays as i will have to give up my home, so i will pretty much have to be living in halls 12 months a year, which i will go back to see friends of course.
I'm also worried what the universities do for people in my circumstances after they graduate, do they make you homeless?? also would it be impossible to live in halls for 12 months on the money students get?

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE on deciding if i should move into halls or travel daily
Hello,

I'm aware that this thread gives loads of amazing advice about living at home/halls but a lot of the people in the thread are actually travelling by train etc.

I've had two offers from Sheffield Hallam and one from the University of Sheffield - I'm having Sheffield as my firm, Hallam insurance as I really don't wanna move from Sheffield. I'm guessing you all are prepared for the question I'm gunna ask but I want an opinion on my situation etc:frown:

Would it be worth moving into halls? I live in Sheffield and about one tram ride away (about half an hour travel) from the uni itself, but I always said I would move to halls because I wanna go not only for the degree and academia but for the experience as well. However, I'm going at a time where tuition fees alone are gunna total up a massive £36,000 debt without even counting a Maintenance Loan. But I really wanna move out and be a part of the university life. Should I worry about the money? :frown: heeeeelllllpppppppp! :frown:
Original post by rebeccadaleyx
Hello,

I'm aware that this thread gives loads of amazing advice about living at home/halls but a lot of the people in the thread are actually travelling by train etc.

I've had two offers from Sheffield Hallam and one from the University of Sheffield - I'm having Sheffield as my firm, Hallam insurance as I really don't wanna move from Sheffield. I'm guessing you all are prepared for the question I'm gunna ask but I want an opinion on my situation etc:frown:

Would it be worth moving into halls? I live in Sheffield and about one tram ride away (about half an hour travel) from the uni itself, but I always said I would move to halls because I wanna go not only for the degree and academia but for the experience as well. However, I'm going at a time where tuition fees alone are gunna total up a massive £36,000 debt without even counting a Maintenance Loan. But I really wanna move out and be a part of the university life. Should I worry about the money? :frown: heeeeelllllpppppppp! :frown:

Short answer; no!

Most people will be in that situation of having all the debt, and remember it isn't like normal debt, it's nothing to worry about right now.

In my opinion, because you are going to a uni that's where you already live it's even more important that you do move out in to halls, so that you at least get some part of the whole living alone and gaining independence experience, and are fully immersed in uni life.
Reply 343
Original post by lulz-kay
When applying to UCAS.. Sheffield was the only uni which I said I wouldn't accommodate at (it's 10 minutes away on the train, 20-30mins in the car).. but now I'm having second thoughts.. should I commute at home or in halls?

My actual question is: How much will I ACTUALLY miss out? If I were to live at home..

The way I see it.. travelling to the uni will be cheaper which means I can pay for other things such as driving lessons and possibly get a decent car (I've been saving up for a while..) and my parents won't charge me rent..they even said they'll support me financially if need be.. But I'm just confusssseed... I couldn't possibly be the ONLY person who doesn't live within the uni during th first year???

:frown: Thanks

Move out... if you were to live at home most of the friends you would make would be on your course. To be honest though, most of the people I know have made their closest friends through the people they live with. People on the course are friendly but not so close, unless they live together or have mutual friends who they live with.
Original post by Antifazian
Short answer; no!

Most people will be in that situation of having all the debt, and remember it isn't like normal debt, it's nothing to worry about right now.

In my opinion, because you are going to a uni that's where you already live it's even more important that you do move out in to halls, so that you at least get some part of the whole living alone and gaining independence experience, and are fully immersed in uni life.

I've said the same, I would LOVE to move into halls, I've always said that no matter where I go I would move away because I figured if I don't move out now I'll struggle in the future to be fully independent. Just a lot of people were questioning why I'd move out if I'm in the same city and scaring me with the money problem :colondollar: Thank you so much for this! Really do think halls is for me, just wanted extra opinions to make sure I was making the right decision :smile:
Original post by rebeccadaleyx
I've said the same, I would LOVE to move into halls, I've always said that no matter where I go I would move away because I figured if I don't move out now I'll struggle in the future to be fully independent. Just a lot of people were questioning why I'd move out if I'm in the same city and scaring me with the money problem :colondollar: Thank you so much for this! Really do think halls is for me, just wanted extra opinions to make sure I was making the right decision :smile:

I definitely think you are, go for it and good luck :smile:
Reply 346
I would 100% recommend going into halls even if you are from the city you're studying in, because I think it's something you might regret if you didn't.

I lived out for my 1st and 2nd years and am going to move home for my 3rd for a number of reasons, mainly that living out wasn't the massively awesome experience that everyone said it would be. HOWEVER, I feel that the regret of not trying it would have been worse.
Reply 347
I have some questions to ask :biggrin:

1) Do boys and girls live in the same halls or whatever there called?
2) Have people already reserved the rooms?
3) Do they supply things like bed and computer desks?
Original post by orka
I have some questions to ask :biggrin:

1) Do boys and girls live in the same halls or whatever there called?
2) Have people already reserved the rooms?
3) Do they supply things like bed and computer desks?

1)Yes in the majority of halls you share a flat with boys and girls.
2)Different uni's have different policies. Most though, have you chose your room sometime after you make them your firm. From what I've seen most uni's have list of all their halls and you put them in order of ones you like the most.
3)I'm pretty sure all uni's provide you with a bed, desk and chair at the very least.
Reply 349
I'm in such a pickle. I studied at Edinburgh before and always felt like I had missed out on something by staying at home.

Zoom forward four years after I graduate, and at 25 I'm going back to uni for another degree. It's either Edinburgh or Glasgow - you could say Edinburgh is a bit better for Computer Science.

Do I stay in Edinburgh again, or go to Glasgow, bearing in mind my previous experience? I'm also a bit worried about being 25 also! But I don't want to be near 30 and STILL at home...
Reply 350
I will hopefully be studying medicine at liverpool starting in september.
I need some advice on whether i should commute or live away from home? I live about 20 mins away from manchester by train.
any advice will be really appreciated. :smile:
thanks
Original post by zai1234
I need some advice on whether i should commute or live away from home? I live about 20 mins away from manchester by train.
thanks

id definitley reccomend moving away- as a med student you'll probally have 9-5 most days so you'll want to be as near to uni as possible.
And living at home would be absolutely ****.
I'd also recommend moving away - med students have a work-hard-play-hard tendency, and it will be easier to keep up with both sides of that if you're living at uni - I find it far easier to work at uni, and if you're living at home, that far away, then realistically speaking if you want to have a night out then you're always going to have to stay at someone's afterwards, and it rather puts the kaibosh on spontaneous nights out.

Edit: have you looked at how much the train will cost you if you're going in 5 days a week, ~36 weeks (medics have shorter holidays here; I assume it's the same at Liverpool) of the year? You might find that it won't be significantly more to live in halls all year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zai1234
thanks

It all depends upon how you feel about it. Some people say that living at home whilst at uni means you don't make as many friends or that you miss out on the 'student experience'. I believe that is not the case. There are people in my year who commute and they are just as involved with the social side as those who lived in halls.

Studying medicine means that you will be in close proximity to your peers all day long, plenty of time to get to know them without living with them. You would also save a considerable amount of money staying at home.
Reply 355
I posted earlier asking if halls or a shared house was better for the first year?
I reckon I am definitely going to roehampton university and I don't want to stay in halls and I live within commuting distance but don't want to stay at home.
I have reasons for not wanting to live in halls such as I like my stuff as my stuff, I do like my own space, I am not really up for the whole uni lifestyle at all although I do want to go out and make friends and stuff... other reasons but i can't be bothered.
so my main questions are: am i at a major disadvantage if i live on my own/shared house in first year?
and if i wanted a shared house how do i go about finding people - especially people like me?
thanks everyone
Reply 356
Well you're not bothered with the uni lifestyle then there's no issue if you don't go to halls is there?

Inb4 Roehampton is mickey mouse.
Reply 357
yeah, i know... i just don't want to be completely cut off i suppose
Reply 358
It depends how outgoing you are. I knew plenty of people at uni who stayed at home and they integrated just fine.

You may have to try that bit harder though, since you're not being forced into halls or anything like that.
Reply 359
You'll miss out on a fair chunk of the student experience, not all of it obviously, but a lot. However if you're really not bothered by that, then it's not really going to affect you much. Plus you'll save a fair amount of money not paying the accommodation costs, assuming you're not going to have a ridiculously expensive commute.

Latest