The Student Room Group

City University London or University of Sheffield?

I got accepted to Nottingham Trent University, University of Sheffield, City University London, University of Westminster and University of the Arts London. (All conditional offers). I am deciding between University of Sheffield and City University London. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Uhh... Course?
As above, for which course?

Out of those two, definitely Sheffield but depending on exactly what your course is I'd take a closer look at UoL.
Reply 3
Which one is best for you depends on a lot of factors, such as the course modules, way it is taught, how the uni itself looks, the sort of area you want to live for 3+ years etc. Also if you haven't already visited them both I strongly suggest you do that before making a decision, you can think a uni is your ideal choice on paper but after visiting it your opinion can completely change. I personally have experience of this and know others who have too.
Reply 4
Journalism studies
definately City. Sheffield is your only redbrick and for a traditional subject most likely teh best.

City is by far and away the best course in the UK for anything journalism related. Seriously. Most of the best newsreaders/journalists went there.

Though what most people advise you to do is to do an 'academic' degree first and then a masters at City.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Oh, and my Dad is a lecturer at Sheffield and I'm holding an offer for their masters in broadcast journo program so I'm being VERY objective!
Reply 6
I was a bit surprised at the conditions for City London, as they were much higher then Sheffields. I also did a ranking search, and Sheffield stands in the top 100 universities in the world. City, however, its in the 370 range. Why is that? Shouldn't the "better" university have higher standards?
City is well known for journalism; more competitive; higher standards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by milesofsea
City is well known for journalism; more competitive; higher standards.

Higher standards than Sheffield? I highly doubt.

The uni asks for AAA for several of its courses but there are better unis in London or outside with lower entry requirements so I don't understand their mission exactly.

+ Sheffield is more prestigious anyway.
whilst sheffield is supposedly better overall, City is the most prestigious Journalism school and apparently the best in the country. but again, its where you will feel most comfortable and enjoy the course.
Reply 10
If its journalism I guess City for all the reasons the guys said.

Journalism is like banking, the closer to the action the better - there is no major media based in Yorkshire to my knowledge, whereas in London, well nuff said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending