The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
She was doing an intro-session with someone this evening and I overheard her give a whole spiel about how machines are useless and free weights are far better, so I think she's a good'un :smile:

How's your lifting going? Are you getting back into it after your time off?

Definitely a good first impression then! :biggrin:
I'm planning to start up again on Monday. I've got a docs appointment tomorrow so I'll ask his advice, but I feel basically normal now, just very slight pain when I swallow but otherwise nothing. It will probably be a really crappy session because I'll have been off for over 2 weeks so I'll try not to do too many reps, just get into the swing of things again. Will probably do some snatch, clean and jerks and some light squats. Will spend a week getting back into it and then I'll start on some programmes I've got waiting. Going to try and qualify myself for next year's national championships before the season ends!
Original post by Becca
Definitely a good first impression then! :biggrin:
I'm planning to start up again on Monday. I've got a docs appointment tomorrow so I'll ask his advice, but I feel basically normal now, just very slight pain when I swallow but otherwise nothing. It will probably be a really crappy session because I'll have been off for over 2 weeks so I'll try not to do too many reps, just get into the swing of things again. Will probably do some snatch, clean and jerks and some light squats. Will spend a week getting back into it and then I'll start on some programmes I've got waiting. Going to try and qualify myself for next year's national championships before the season ends!

Glad you're all recovered :smile: In googling to see what kinda weight national championships involved I've somehow spent my evening watching lifting vids on YouTube... :colondollar:
Glad you're all recovered :smile: In googling to see what kinda weight national championships involved I've somehow spent my evening watching lifting vids on YouTube... :colondollar:

Excellent. I spend a lot of my time doing this, too. In my current weight category I need 103kg total to make it in. If I go down a category I need 98kg total. It's not that much when you consider Norway's best female lifter does over that in one lift!
article-2119416-124A707A000005DC-210_470x558.jpg
Deadlifted 50kg for 5 reps today! Not getting far off that bodyweight DL :awesome: Only problem is the blisters/calluses... Got them at the base of three fingers on both hands. Normal hand cream sufficient to get rid quickly?
Deadlifted 50kg for 5 reps today! Not getting far off that bodyweight DL :awesome: Only problem is the blisters/calluses... Got them at the base of three fingers on both hands. Normal hand cream sufficient to get rid quickly?

No, you should wear them with pride.

Do you use chalk? I do and I don't get callouses or blisters.
Original post by Smack
No, you should wear them with pride.

Do you use chalk? I do and I don't get callouses or blisters.

No, today's been the first day I've felt like my grip was limiting what I could lift, my hands were sliding off the bar with 50kg. Never seen anyone in my gym using it tbh. I've heard about liquid chalk - is that any better than dry?
No, today's been the first day I've felt like my grip was limiting what I could lift, my hands were sliding off the bar with 50kg. Never seen anyone in my gym using it tbh. I've heard about liquid chalk - is that any better than dry?

I use chalk all the time - even with the empty bar - and I don't know anything about liquid chalk. But proper chalk works fine so I see no reason to use liquid unless your gym forbids proper chalk, and if it does you're better off moving to a proper gym anyway.
Reply 3648
Original post by Smack
I use chalk all the time - even with the empty bar - and I don't know anything about liquid chalk. But proper chalk works fine so I see no reason to use liquid unless your gym forbids proper chalk, and if it does you're better off moving to a proper gym anyway.

Liquid chalk is just as good as normal chalk. Plus easier to carry around as it is smaller.

Yayy well done! I have callouses but normal hand cream applied regularly seems to keep them smallish so they don't interfere with my lifting and they aren't really noticeable to anyone but myself.
Chalk is a must when progressing in deadlifts, especially when doing several reps. I used to have magnesium (normal) stuff and it made a massive mess in my bag, so if you get that you should probably keep it in a tupperware or something. It's very cheap. Liquid chalk is more expensive but no mess and easier to transport.
Shall get myself some chalk then. Thanks guys :smile:

Next n00b question. I'm going home for two weeks, where I have no access to any form of weights. What can I do to not lose all the progress I've made? Just do lots of bodyweight work - squats, lunges, press-ups?
Is there no gym you can go to on a PAYG basis, just for 2 weeks?
Shall get myself some chalk then. Thanks guys :smile:

Next n00b question. I'm going home for two weeks, where I have no access to any form of weights. What can I do to not lose all the progress I've made? Just do lots of bodyweight work - squats, lunges, press-ups?

If there really is no gym then bodyweight exercises will be the best thing probably. I also tend to do a lot of sprinting when I lack gym access.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Is there no gym you can go to on a PAYG basis, just for 2 weeks?

There is, but it would cost £10 for induction, plus £5 a session & £4-5 to get there each time. Not a realistic option, sadly.
Reply 3654
I got liquid chalk from myprotein, will test it tomorrow. My gym doesn't allow chalk, but i used to have it with me anyways and sneak some on. Now there should be no problem.
My revision period/holidays have started, yay! So pretty much just lifting and studying for the next few months. I'm starting a new program based on doing the hatch squat cycle (12w). So two days of squatting (back and front on the same days, also first time trying low bar), two days focused on oly, as told by my coach. Otherwise I was thinking of having one day of heavy dl, one day of endurance/conditioning focus and one rest day. If i feel too tired, then i might make the dl day a rest day. Rounding things up with some accessory lifts and running/sprinting.
Testing my 1rm tomorrow (doubt they've changed much), and starting on Tuesday.
Original post by aivi
I got liquid chalk from myprotein, will test it tomorrow. My gym doesn't allow chalk, but i used to have it with me anyways and sneak some on. Now there should be no problem.
My revision period/holidays have started, yay! So pretty much just lifting and studying for the next few months. I'm starting a new program based on doing the hatch squat cycle (12w). So two days of squatting (back and front on the same days, also first time trying low bar), two days focused on oly, as told by my coach. Otherwise I was thinking of having one day of heavy dl, one day of endurance/conditioning focus and one rest day. If i feel too tired, then i might make the dl day a rest day. Rounding things up with some accessory lifts and running/sprinting.
Testing my 1rm tomorrow (doubt they've changed much), and starting on Tuesday.

Ooh let us know how you get on with low bar. When I tried it I really hated it, purely for the feeling of the bar on my back. It just felt wrong! If I wanted to hit bigger squat numbers rather than get stronger in Oly like I do atm I'd definitely change to it permanently though.
Are you still looking at doing a Bethnal Green course?

I spoke to my mum last night. Background information - my little brother is coming to visit me on Thursday. Conversation:

Mum: Do you want me to send over some Cumberland sausage?
Me: Ooh yes please!
Mum: How much?
Me: Well we normally have about 500g of meat per meal between 2 of us, so a couple of 500g portions?
Mum: Rebecca, I am worried about you and this high-protein diet. (My diet isn't even that high in protein lol!)
Me: Why? I don't understand what you mean!
Mum: I don't want you ending up like...who was that woman who ate loads of protein and became all muscly?
Me: You mean Jodie Marsh?
Mum: Yeah. I don't want you turning into that. It looks bloody awful.
Me: :facepalm2: *tries to explain about dehydration/tensing and how that isn't even what I do*.
Mum: Never mind. I'll talk to you about this another time.
Original post by Becca
Ooh let us know how you get on with low bar. When I tried it I really hated it, purely for the feeling of the bar on my back. It just felt wrong! If I wanted to hit bigger squat numbers rather than get stronger in Oly like I do atm I'd definitely change to it permanently though.
Are you still looking at doing a Bethnal Green course?

I spoke to my mum last night. Background information - my little brother is coming to visit me on Thursday. Conversation:

Mum: Do you want me to send over some Cumberland sausage?
Me: Ooh yes please!
Mum: How much?
Me: Well we normally have about 500g of meat per meal between 2 of us, so a couple of 500g portions?
Mum: Rebecca, I am worried about you and this high-protein diet. (My diet isn't even that high in protein lol!)
Me: Why? I don't understand what you mean!
Mum: I don't want you ending up like...who was that woman who ate loads of protein and became all muscly?
Me: You mean Jodie Marsh?
Mum: Yeah. I don't want you turning into that. It looks bloody awful.
Me: :facepalm2: *tries to explain about dehydration/tensing and how that isn't even what I do*.
Mum: Never mind. I'll talk to you about this another time.

Why would tell how much meat you have each time?

Just tell her how much you need. Never ever give people like that (parents, family members or friends) an excuse to go on a rant about how you are overdoing it, or how it's really unhealthy or unladylike or whatever crap they come up with it.
Original post by sleekchic
Why would tell how much meat you have each time?

Just tell her how much you need. Never ever give people like that (parents, family members or friends) an excuse to go on a rant about how you are overdoing it, or how it's really unhealthy or unladylike or whatever crap they come up with it.

Oh because she will have to get it vacuumpacked (it will be going on the plane) so it's easier if it will be in portions.
That misconception is never going to go away :-(

But it's sometimes fun talking about it when people *do* actually want to hear what you have to say rather than have that washed over glazed look O_O
Reply 3659
Anyone been watching the European champs (last until this Sunday)? I saw them on tv by chance at the gym, so now that I'm at my parents place for one more week, I'm taking advantage of actually having a tv :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest