The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Think if you're going this year you need to get your skates on, as it'll be hard to get placed as it draws closer to summer!

But yeah I made loads of new friends, American and English, and I'm not even that confident as a person. One of the mates I made out there is now one of my best friends :smile: working n living together you really do get to know people quickly, and I didn't know anyone at my camp who didn't make friends or had trouble finding someone to travel with after.
Original post by Bramble88
Think if you're going this year you need to get your skates on, as it'll be hard to get placed as it draws closer to summer!

But yeah I made loads of new friends, American and English, and I'm not even that confident as a person. One of the mates I made out there is now one of my best friends :smile: working n living together you really do get to know people quickly, and I didn't know anyone at my camp who didn't make friends or had trouble finding someone to travel with after.

oh cool sounds good...i'll get my skates on right now then :biggrin:
thanks for all the info...+ repped :smile:
Reply 42
how difficult do you think it'd be to find a job if i pay my registration fee about 2 weeks from now and begin searching then?

also, is the bunac flight package worth getting? like i'm sure you could find flights for quite a bit less, but do the extras you get with the package make the cost worth it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Billa Bong
oh cool sounds good...i'll get my skates on right now then :biggrin:
thanks for all the info...+ repped :smile:

I've applied for Kamp this year too, I'm still trying to get the CRB done. Once it's sent off do you know how long it takes to process?
Reply 44
Heyyy, I've done Work America twice, and doing it again this summer. If you spend time searching and applying for jobs, you should be able to get one fairly easily. As for the flight, it's a great way to meet other people on the BUNAC programme, and if its your first time in the states the process is easy since you get your transfer etc once you arrive at the airport and a night in the hostel. :smile: SO excited for summer in America!
Original post by callum9999
Have you done this before? I'm begrudgingly going to pay BUNACs ridiculous fees just to get the J1 visa, but am contemplating their job matching thing. If it's easy enough to get a job on your own I'll just ignore that though (I did a similar thing in Australia and you didn't really need the help there, but I didn't really wanna risk it in the US).

And do you know of any decent themeparks to work in? Disneyland would have been great but I just missed the cut off point for that. Do you know if any of the other big themeparks have similar schemes where you can live on site with a load of people in the same boat - or possibly near enough to a major city so I'm not living in the middle of nowhere!

Hey mate, hows it going?

You mentioned there that you did something like this in Australia, can I ask who you organised it through? I really want to go to Australia as I'm thinking of moving out there when I finish uni. What kind of stuff did you do there? Was it easy to find a job?

Cheers
Original post by Caina
I've applied for Kamp this year too, I'm still trying to get the CRB done. Once it's sent off do you know how long it takes to process?

You should get it back within a month, I think. I've done loads in the past and they all came through in about 3 weeks.
Good luck!
Original post by Cll_ws
how difficult do you think it'd be to find a job if i pay my registration fee about 2 weeks from now and begin searching then?

also, is the bunac flight package worth getting? like i'm sure you could find flights for quite a bit less, but do the extras you get with the package make the cost worth it?

There are always new jobs coming out, I think - I've heard that it gets updated every so often. And you can look for your own job outside the job zone, too, so try approaching companies directly (but there are some jobs you can't do with Work America, like au pairing - which I wanted to do - so check that).

As for the flights, it's honestly a personal choice. I've done BUNAC's summer camp programme twice and took their group flight the first time. It was good to not have to fly on my own and a great chance to get to meet people on the way over. And we got a night in New York too. I guess it depends on where you're working, if you want the time in New York and if you didn't really want to fly on your own.

Good luck with it all!

Quick Reply

Latest