The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5120
**** this ****! How do I get rich?
Original post by MrTubes
Hey guys its my first post on this thread but ive been checking it every so often and congrats to everyone with offers.
Ive just recently got my first offer (imperial!).
Ive also seen you posting on imperial thread palladium nd good luck with your reply!!
For those still waiting hang tight and hopefully theres some good news for you lot too.

Peace =D

Hey! I have my offer now, amazing! Have you joined the facbeook group? DM your name btw :smile:
Hi,
i applied for clinical science but i didnt get in i really want to do medicine so i dont know what to do.
anyway i was thinking of doing biomed to transfer over to medicine this is literally my last chance i cannot ressit as my college does not allow me to do science al levels
anyway i went through bradford biomedical science and they have extra places available should i apply for it? or will they decline me as they did for clinical science? and also will i have to change my medicine personal statment to biomedical ?

Any advice is appreciated!
Original post by loves islam
Hi,
i applied for clinical science but i didnt get in i really want to do medicine so i dont know what to do.
anyway i was thinking of doing biomed to transfer over to medicine this is literally my last chance i cannot ressit as my college does not allow me to do science al levels
anyway i went through bradford biomedical science and they have extra places available should i apply for it? or will they decline me as they did for clinical science? and also will i have to change my medicine personal statment to biomedical ?

Any advice is appreciated!

i think you should phone Bradford and ask whether your rejection for Clinical Sciences will have any influence on your application for Biomed (I don't think it will tbh but ask to make sure).

usually, you have to write a new personal statement for Biomedicine but i'm not sure if at this stage they would ask for one, so again, call them up.

hope this helps and good luck.
i can't find an official thread for student finance so i was wondering if anyone on here could help me out ...

i've been reading some documents about it and from what i gather, when you take out a student loan, at the end of uni, there is no exact amount that you have to pay back? say you took out a total loan of 45k, even if at some point you're able to pay all of that off, you can't? you have to pay every year for 30 years (if you earn more than 21k p/a)? - have i got that right?

please help if you can!
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
i can't find an official thread for student finance so i was wondering if anyone on here could help me out ...

i've been reading some documents about it and from what i gather, when you take out a student loan, at the end of uni, there is no exact amount that you have to pay back? say you took out a total loan of 45k, even if at some point you're able to pay all of that off, you can't? you have to pay every year for 30 years (if you earn more than 21k p/a)? - have i got that right?

please help if you can!

You pay 9% of whatever you earn over £21,000 towards it. As far as I'm aware if you want to pay it off soon after in a lump sum you are more than allowed, why would they stop you? Don't think that would be allowed.
Reply 5126
Original post by Palladium
Hey! I have my offer now, amazing! Have you joined the facbeook group? DM your name btw :smile:

Ahhh very nice man and yea I have, seem to be quite a few nice,sociable people there. Not quite sure what DM means :smile:
Does anyone know if student finance take into account siblings at uni? Me and my brother are both starting in September on the minimum loan so parents are expected to contribute a fair bit cause of the two of us. And in two years time my there will be three of us all at uni so it'll only get worse. I've heard rumours that they do but I'm not sure, does anyone here know? :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
Does anyone know if student finance take into account siblings at uni? Me and my brother are both starting in September on the minimum loan so parents are expected to contribute a fair bit cause of the two of us. And in two years time my there will be three of us all at uni so it'll only get worse. I've heard rumours that they do but I'm not sure, does anyone here know? :smile:

I think on the application it did ask whether I had any siblings in Higher Education but notmsure if you put yes how much it would help.
Original post by Kingbradley6
I think on the application it did ask whether I had any siblings in Higher Education but notmsure if you put yes how much it would help.

Ah right thank you :smile: It probably won't help me but I'll look into it more, I just haven't seen anything on the website and wondered.

I must say, I like your sig :wink:
Reply 5130
Original post by Quackers93

Yeh, I'm not sure about the specifics because mines is through SAAS (the scottish equivalent) but the way it works with me, is that the "parental contribution" is divided by how ever many children are at university. Your total loan amount is the max loan subtract the parental contribution. So for example, if depending your family's income the parental contribution was £2000, but there are two children at university, the effective parental contribution would be £1000 for each child. So you would be able to borrow the max loan subtract £1000, rather than the max loan subtract £2000.....if that makes sense :tongue:
Reply 5131
Hi everyone :biggrin:

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but i'm a reapplicant. I sort of fell off the radar a few months ago and stopped posting here, but i followed this thread to about the end of 2011 :colondollar:

Just had a look through the past few pages and it's really good to see some of the people i remember now have offers and will be medical students in September. Congrats to you guys :cool:

Unfortunately i'm not going to be one of them though, i've got all medicine rejections now, but hey at least i have 2 Biomed offers (UEA offered me biomed after rejecting me for medicine).

So the question now is, which to accept... Newcastle or UEA for biomed? Which one would you guys go for?

I'm still really keen to medicine at some point though. Does anyone know much about postgraduate finance for a medicine degree?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Taz-
Hi everyone :biggrin:

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but i'm a reapplicant. I sort of fell off the radar a few months ago and stopped posting here, but i followed this thread to about the end of 2011 :colondollar:

Just had a look through the past few pages and it's really good to see some of the people i remember now have offers and will be medical students in September. Congrats to you guys :cool:

Unfortunately i'm not going to be one of them though, i've got all medicine rejections now, but hey at least i have 2 Biomed offers (UEA offered me biomed after rejecting me for medicine).

So the question now is, which to accept... Newcastle or UEA for biomed? Which one would you guys go for?

I'm still really keen to medicine at some point though. Does anyone know much about postgraduate finance for a medicine degree?

-I remember you :tongue:
-I don't have any Medicine offers either :frown:
-Both of the unis are great, have you looked at course content? (They'll be similar but maybe some topics seem...nicer? )
-Newcastle=Party hard! not got a clue on UEA though :/
-postgrad- Try your damn hardest to get your 1st degree and just apply to GEM! The financing is set to change soon so by the time we finish our degrees it will be changed :/
so what is everyone doing next year then?
sorry to those who didnt get in :frown: any of you trying again?
Original post by -Taz-

Hey, sorry, i'm no-where near a re-applicant, a current year 12 actually but just wanted to point out that Newcastle might let you transfer at the end of your first year of Biomed to medicine...? (Thats what I thought i read anyway, don't quote me on it, i may have just made that up!)
Reply 5135
Original post by Doctor.
-I remember you :tongue:
-I don't have any Medicine offers either :frown:
-Both of the unis are great, have you looked at course content? (They'll be similar but maybe some topics seem...nicer? )
-Newcastle=Party hard! not got a clue on UEA though :/
-postgrad- Try your damn hardest to get your 1st degree and just apply to GEM! The financing is set to change soon so by the time we finish our degrees it will be changed :/

I remember you too :nutcase:

It sucks to hear that :redface: Where do you see yourself going from here?

Yeah, i've had a fair look at both courses, i think i prefer Newcastles. And haha no, i'm not really a partyer - don't drink for starters :tongue:

Really? What's changing with the finance? From what i've sort of seen so far (and i have to be honest - i've not done that much research into it yet) you have to fund your second degree yourself. Which would mean working a hell of a lot during my first course, no way do me or my parents have enough for even one year of fees
Reply 5136
Original post by ameelia22
Hey, sorry, i'm no-where near a re-applicant, a current year 12 actually but just wanted to point out that Newcastle might let you transfer at the end of your first year of Biomed to medicine...? (Thats what I thought i read anyway, don't quote me on it, i may have just made that up!)

Yup, that's one of the biggest reasons for choosing Newcastle over East Anglia. The possibility that i could transfer to my preferred course after a year :colondollar:

Thanks for bringing it up, i'm sure there are people who may not be aware of that internal transfer. Definitely something for any Year 12's poking around here to consider if/when applying for medicine - Newcastle for biomed is a pretty good 5th choice :smile:
Reply 5137
OK i'm itching to put Newcastle (for biomed) as my firm choice

Is there anything i should check or make sure before i do so?
Original post by laurenl93
So yeah yesterday I was just minding my own business at work, doing worky things, and a patient put poo on my face. Poo.

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN I WORK ON ORTHOPAEDICS I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING HAPPENING

OH and it was diarrhoea. Haha

hahaha what??
how does that even happen :tongue:
Reply 5139
Original post by laurenl93
So yeah yesterday I was just minding my own business at work, doing worky things, and a patient put poo on my face. Poo.

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN I WORK ON ORTHOPAEDICS I SHOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING HAPPENING

OH and it was diarrhoea. Haha

ahhhhhhhhhh thats horrible.

haha please tell me it wasn't C.Diff poo, that would just be the worst thing ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending