The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

London 'Blackspeak' and 'Black' Grime/Rap Music

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sexbo
I live in North London and half the people speaking in slang aren't even black. Anything perceived as "bad culture" by whites just HAS to be a black thing. It's not even bad culture, there's nothing wrong with slang.

You think I'm white? Well, you're in for a shock! :teehee:

But what I'm trying to say is that a certain type of speech has become known as being that of young black people, to the point where if a young black person speaks in a completely different manner (say, posh), he is thought of as weird or something...
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
As opposed to the cockney accent?

Unfortunately not everyone in the uk speaks queens english, infact in comparison very few do. Most people speak local slang, whether it be cockney "black" slang (can't see how it's black if white and asians speak like this), geordie, glaswegian or manc. I don't see it as degreading just like I don't see any other slang accent in the uk as degrading. Your false sense of hierachy is embarrassing.

But it's more associated with the young black person.
Reply 42
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
But it's more associated with the young black person.

The fact that some whites and asians also speak similarly means your point is invalid.
Reply 43
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Who here detests the stereotypical London 'Blackspeak', that stereotypical accent that pervades many black boys and girls in London from about ten years old to their early twenties?

Of course I generalise here, but this irritating accent has now become a signature label for young black people - one can simply hop on a bus at 3.30pm in an area with a large black population and see the groups of young black kids speaking in this low manner with all sorts of slangs and many even playing all of this 'cool' Grime music ([U]mostly
dotted with Black 'artists'). (If you can't do this experiment, just watch something like 'My Murder' on BBC 3 or Adulthood/Kidulthood.)

And the Grime/Rap music (British) is also part of this debilitating culture. It further fuels a materialist culture and turns the young peoples' brains into mush. I have a cousin who is being slowly degraded to this low place in life; squandering his money on Nike trainers and his accent has considerably degraded yet he attends a Grammar but it seems to me that he feels the need to be 'Black' (as it were) and he dresses in the 'street' fashion and speaks in such a manner.

Does this culture not degrade the image of young black people?

(Seriously, just hop on a London bus shortly after school closing times and you'll see...)

so essentially what you're saying is that in a black area the black teens are using "black" slang? would that not be the same as going to Newcastle getting on a bus to hear the geordie slang that's used over there? or hearing the cockney wherever it is they use that type of accent/slang? or any other type of slang...i don't understand why this should bother you and really i don't see how it's "black" slang considering every race use it, so many people(regardless of race) use it to take the piss out of people who do use it and don't realize that they use it more than the average "tyrone/shaniqua" does.

lol @ you thinking somebody's degrading themselves just because they listen grime/ buy nike trainers- i do both and i'm doing just fine.

My cousin's a hood rat and yet has a job at waitrose- not trying to say it's the best job in the world but i'm pretty sure he didn't walk into the interview with a mushy brain and start spewing "blank slang" at his interviewer. time and place
They need to be educated. I despise anyone who speaks like this. As do most employers and universities probably.
Reply 45
Original post by DontJudge
Tell me whats wrong about it.
There is nothing.
A lot of people just give 'talking in slang' a bad name, only because that is what the societies unwritten rules tell them to do.
Is it really as bad as people are making it out to be?
Or is it because, they choose to be 'different', for the majority of society who which choose to conform.
I reckon people need to stop focusing on trivial matter like these which have no effect on the crime rate.

ya get meh? :gangster:

Creating a creole in London really doesn't benefit those who speak it. I often quite literally cannot understand people that talk like this, whatever ethnic box they tick.

If I can't, and I grew up in London, do you really think that people at job interviews etc would? And that they would choose someone that speaks London creole rather than someone that speaks coherent English?
Reply 46
Original post by Chris..
so essentially what you're saying is that in a black area the black teens are using "black" slang? would that not be the same as going to Newcastle getting on a bus to hear the geordie slang that's used over there? or hearing the cockney wherever it is they use that type of accent/slang? or any other type of slang...i don't understand why this should bother you and really i don't see how it's "black" slang considering every race use it, so many people(regardless of race) use it to take the piss out of people who do use it and don't realize that they use it more than the average "tyrone/shaniqua" does.

lol @ you thinking somebody's degrading themselves just because they listen grime/ buy nike trainers- i do both and i'm doing just fine.

My cousin's a hood rat and yet has a job at waitrose- not trying to say it's the best job in the world but i'm pretty sure he didn't walk into the interview with a mushy brain and start spewing "blank slang" at his interviewer. time and place

Lol. The "cockney" accent and group of people doesn't exist anymore. They used to live in the areas where "multicultural london english" is now the lingua franca.

We should put up a wax model of a cockney next to the models of native americans in the science museum. haha. "extinct peoples".
Ya dun'know the dun'know :wink:
Leave it yeah !!
Original post by R4INBOW
Yo fam u best be chillin'. U be thinkin' u a don? Dont get twisted yeah, dis be a big man ting for realz....

See what I did there? It's called adapting your language, given the social situation/circumstance. Im black myself, and am perfectly able to string a standard sentence together and change my linguistics. OP don't be a douche :smile: I actually find the ever evolving "english dialect" to be quite interesting. ( Also I don't know why your calling it "Blackspeak". :/ The way I see it some Asians, Whites, Orientals etc...are simply beggin' in terms of "acting black"). If you hate it so much, ignore it. No one really cares about what you think. Do you speak on behalf of London? This "malignant" change in the English language is your view only- and perhaps some other narrow minded biggots. Try to get your facts right and do wider research before putting together a crappy biased argument.

Yours Sincerely

A black girl whose still in secondary education and has full experience with this so called "Blackspeak" :rolleyes:

Gwarn Rude gyal talk d tingz :laugh:
Reply 50
I know what they OP is saying, the stereotypical accent is horrible. I hear all sorts of people saying it, it's so chavvy. People just try and talk like that to act 'black' and they tend to be wannabe gangstas. Half the time i hear white people using the stereotypical london black accent, just coz they think it's cool. People just model themselves of gangstas of things like kidulthood and try and talk like that and think things like drugs and guns are 'cool'. It's ok when you hear the odd few black people ( whose accent it actually is) speaking like that, but when you hear all sorts of chavs copying, it just really makes you cringe.
Original post by R4INBOW

A black girl whose still in secondary education and has full experience with this so called "Blackspeak" :rolleyes:

Who's

:u:
Sovr'gn, you dont have a clue. What is posting on TSR about this useless topic ever going to do?
Reply 53
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
Leave it yeah !!

DENCH
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
Leave it yeah !!

:colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
class divides writ large on TSR
Original post by Bonged.
Creating a creole in London really doesn't benefit those who speak it. I often quite literally cannot understand people that talk like this, whatever ethnic box they tick.

If I can't, and I grew up in London, do you really think that people at job interviews etc would? And that they would choose someone that speaks London creole rather than someone that speaks coherent English?
Speak for yourself; I understand it perfectly.
Reply 57
Original post by whyumadtho

Lucky you. :rolleyes:
Original post by whyumadtho

I understand it, I just think that the scum are poorly educated. I just feel sorry for them and their future lives in prison. Stereotypical but that is what I genuinely feel when I hear people speaking this nonsense. It should be forced out of them. I wonder whether anyone has thought to do a linguistic survey of London knifcrime. I would imagine most of the knife criminals would use this 'dialect' (aka ill educated moron speak)