The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AUBstudent
Hey everyone,
I have a question. I got an offer for msc economics and industrial organization at warwick. i know the uni has a good reputation although im not sure about the program. is it perceived at a lesser degree than pure economics? and would i be able to do my phd at lse or ucl after i graduate? the thing is im only applying for ucl msc economics and warwick for this program. i havent heard from ucl yet and im starting to believe it would be a rejection. in case that happens, do i accept warwick offer or just wait for next year to reapply at UCL ?
any help would be appreciated.
thank you.

If you are interested in Industrial organization, then this is a good program. If not, then I am not sure why did you apply to it? The main difference with straight Econ program is that it is oriented towards Industrial organization.
Of course you can get into Phd programs after it, but it better have something to do with Industrial organization, otherwise again the question is - why concentrate on it if you do not care?

Also - UCL has not responded to most Econ applicants yet, very very few offers, so the silence really does not mean anything.
Reply 481
Original post by janjanmmm
If you are interested in Industrial organization, then this is a good program. If not, then I am not sure why did you apply to it? The main difference with straight Econ program is that it is oriented towards Industrial organization.
Of course you can get into Phd programs after it, but it better have something to do with Industrial organization, otherwise again the question is - why concentrate on it if you do not care?

Also - UCL has not responded to most Econ applicants yet, very very few offers, so the silence really does not mean anything.

If you wanna do Industrial Organization, I would still say UCL is your top choice. Armstrong is the best Industrial Economist in Europe with not doubt. In addition, UCL has other top European industrial economists such as Steffen Huck and Lars Neisheim.

http://else.econ.ucl.ac.uk/newweb/displayProfile.php?key=33

I think except UCL undergrad econ students, te department has not made any offer yet.
(edited 12 years ago)

Well when i starting the application process , the courses in this program interested me so i applied for it, but then i starting having second thoughts as to job prospects than this program would offer me when i get back to my country, Lebanon. I think that whats good in this program is that even if i didnt work in industrial organization i still have an msc in economics. So confused i know, its just if ill be going to UK and paying big money to do this program i have to make sure im doing the right thing. Anw UCL is my first choice so IF, HOPEFULLY i get accepted there ill chose UCL. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 483
Do you know if it's possible to apply for both Msc in Finance and Economics (WBS) and Msc in Economics. Both work for me.
There would be some overlap among the adcom members?.
I already applied to the MFE.
Thanks
Reply 484
Original post by Lalafell
If you apply to Cambridge. you will be competing with someone of totally different levels (i.e. first class applicants of the best universities in the UK and across the world); the quality of the applicants to UCL are generally higher than those to Wariwck but lower than those to Cambridge, Oxford and LSE.

So Lalafell do you think is possible to be admitted by UCL but rejected by Cambridge, but not the opposite?
Reply 485
No. Idea. But quite a number of my coursemates got admitted by UCL but either rejected or wailisted by Cambridge. The people doing MSc Economics at UCL have quite heterogenous academic quality. This is one of the reasons that 25% - 30% of the MSc Economics students failed last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 486
People at the UCL MSc Economics come from universities ranging from some ex-poly such as Oxford Brooks and Brunel to something like Harvard. Those people have less rigorous training in Economics invariably found themselves struggling right from the very beginning.

But as far as I know, it is extremely unlikely for even the best ex-poly students to enter the graudate econ programmes of Cam, Ox and LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 487
No. Idea. But quite a number of my coursemates got admitted by UCL but either rejected or wailisted by Cambridge. The people doing MSc Economics at UCL have quite heterogenous academic quality. This is one of the reasons that 25% - 30% of the MSc Economics students failed last year.

Wow you are scaring me with these statistics......:confused:
Reply 488
I am not scaring you. You can confirm this by sending a random message to one of the students on the UCL MSc Economics Facebook group.
Reply 489
People at the UCL MSc Economics come from universities ranging from some ex-poly such as Oxford Brooks and Brunel to something like Harvard. Those people have less rigorous training in Economics invariably found themselves struggling right from the very beginning.

But as far as I know, it is extremely unlikely for even the best ex-poly students to enter the graudate econ programmes of Cam, Ox and LSE.

Strange that the adcom admit people with little training in economics, knowing the rigour of the programme.....why would they do that?
Reply 490
Those ex-poly guys were the top in their undergrad classes. But relatively, they still don't have the technical background for UCL MSc Economics.
Reply 491
Those ex-poly guys were the top in their undergrad classes. But relatively, they still don't have the technical background for UCL MSc Economics.

So, is it really tough as mentioned in some forums?....some people say that it is even harder than the same in LSE.
Reply 492
Original post by Econla
So, is it really tough as mentioned in some forums?....some people say that it is even harder than the same in LSE.

UCL MSc Economics is much more technical and involves more more course work than the LSE MSc Economics because the former is deisgned for potetial PhD students. But it is less technical than the LSE EME though.
Reply 493
Well in my case I am not so sure if to continue with a PhD after the Master. For now I plan to finish it and then apply for IB jobs (I have pre experience), so when I was applying I thought in LSE and Cambridge, but both require GRE and I was close to the deadline for the last and now I don't think I feel like studying for that "......" test in order to apply for LSE.
At least based on your words, I will get solid training in the field.
Original post by Econla

Did you look at Moodle? You can actually look up all the class materials, - syllabi, lecture notes, powerpoints, even copy of the final exam. Gives you very good idea about what they expect:

http://moodle.ucl.ac.uk/

Top right corner "search courses" enter any of the following:

ECONG020 - Econometrics
ECONG021 - Microeconomics
ECONG022 - Macroeconomics
ECONG100 - Research Methods

Then click "log in as guest" and agree to conditions, you will see everything.
Reply 495
Did you look at Moodle? You can actually look up all the class materials, - syllabi, lecture notes, powerpoints, even copy of the final exam. Gives you very good idea about what they expect:

http://moodle.ucl.ac.uk/

Top right corner "search courses" enter any of the following:

ECONG020 - Econometrics
ECONG021 - Microeconomics
ECONG022 - Macroeconomics
ECONG100 - Research Methods

Then click "log in as guest" and agree to conditions, you will see everything.

mmmm.....I don't know but IMHO it doesn't look tooooooooo tough, at least Micro which is what I saw.

Someone who has covered Linear and Matrix Algebra, Calculus multivariable, Integrals and PDE + W. Nicholson, should have no big problems to manage himself in the course with a medium-high level of effort, but I believe he/she won't need a very high level of sacrifice to pass the course.

Well I don't know, the above depends in each individual case.

Thanks!
Reply 496
Hi everyone,
Do you know if a BSc Maths and Finance student with strong first degree from Exeter would stand a chance for MSc Economics at Warkwick, UCL or even the Oxbridge? Although it is suggested for those who don't have an econs degree to apply for the Diploma, but what would my situation be if I already did introduction to econometrics, intermediate micro and macro?

Thanks!
Thanks to everyone who has put their advice and experience on this thread. It’s been very helpful!

Question regarding applying to MScs while doing a one-year Grad Diploma (starting this September). At the time MSc applications are being considered in the Spring of 2013, I won’t have any confirmed grades by then as most exams are in the summer. I understand we will have some mid-term test results though.

Is there any point in applying at that time based on unconfirmed grades and stuff? Is it likely that admissions tutors might look at the reputation of the Diploma and set a condition (eg. 70% across all modules) or will they just think “we have no evidence as to whether you’re any good”? If the latter then there’s no point applying until the following year when I have my Diploma result.

PS I don’t have an econ background but am currently doing University of London External Maths 1&2 and Stats 1&2 in preparation.
Original post by Hanshen
You wouldn't consider UCL? It is a research titan, and very high quality output. My housemate is an economist, he didn't even bother applying to Cambridge, went straight for LSE, UCL, Oxford and MIT. I'm not saying it's better, merely you shouldn't be so hasty to 'forget' it.

Anyway, I'd probably pick LSE or Cambridge out of that line up. For my money I'd take Cambridge due to the research element.

Hey guys,
I have an offer from Barcelona GSE for International Trade, Finance and Development and UCL Eco Policy. Can't decide where to go. What would you advise me?
Would be glad to hear your ideas and reasons!
Thanks!
Reply 499
Original post by bumblebee2012
Hey guys,
I have an offer from Barcelona GSE for International Trade, Finance and Development and UCL Eco Policy. Can't decide where to go. What would you advise me?
Would be glad to hear your ideas and reasons!
Thanks!

Possibly email UCL and see if they will switch your application/offer from MSc Economic Policy to MSc Economics. I have a friend who did this and they were more than willing. If you get onto the UCL MSc Economics programme, I would definitely take it over the Barcelona GSE programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending