The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roar558
Probably not but since I was in top 450 of applicants, there's probably only 1 or 2 points from what I had and an offer score. :s-smilie:

thats so annoying. they should only take into account your best 3, seeing as a lot of people will only do three(myself included..) :frown:
Reply 1781
Original post by TheRabbit
People accepting offers from Aberdeen should have a look at the entrance scholarships available, a little bit of extra finance is always good!

No scholarships available for international students (or at least for my country) :frown: Do many internationals take up part-time work? Is it possible for internationals to work as a HCA/phlebotomist etc. in Aberdeen?
Original post by Ergo
No scholarships available for international students (or at least for my country) :frown: Do many internationals take up part-time work? Is it possible for internationals to work as a HCA/phlebotomist etc. in Aberdeen?

Check your visa conditions. I can't personally recall any internationals in my year who worked.
Original post by TheRabbit
People accepting offers from Aberdeen should have a look at the entrance scholarships available, a little bit of extra finance is always good!

I assume these only apply to school leavers and not graduates? I have a fair bit saved up and will continue working until the start of the course but know it's going to be difficult. I'll manage somehow - so very happy to have been offered a place! I still can't believe it!
Original post by MagicStars
I assume these only apply to school leavers and not graduates? I have a fair bit saved up and will continue working until the start of the course but know it's going to be difficult. I'll manage somehow - so very happy to have been offered a place! I still can't believe it!

Not too sure, more info can be found here.
Original post by Ergo

As beccasarah says it will depend on your visa, but I know an international student who has a part time job here.

Original post by MagicStars

I'd still have look and check, they have a range of different criteria.
Original post by Ergo

I don't think there's enough time for work, sadly :frown: And under our Visa, I think we can work 20 hours per week maximum :smile:
Original post by Metastasis
I don't think there's enough time for work, sadly :frown: And under our Visa, I think we can work 20 hours per week maximum :smile:

Really? I worked throughout my first three years, and had colleagues who were in fourth year and working.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Really? I worked throughout my first three years, and had colleagues who were in fourth year and working.

I have actually been working two jobs over the past year :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Same, if we're counting my non-term time job :wink: Completely unemployed this academic year though :sigh:

That's good to hear! I was really worried because in my home country all my friends in medical school are really stressed and have little time left besides studying :frown: What are you guys working as?
That's good to hear! I was really worried because in my home country all my friends in medical school are really stressed and have little time left besides studying :frown: What are you guys working as?

I do admin work for a GP practice, I believe becca used to do the same at another practice in the city, and also build stages at the AECC :tongue:
I do admin work for a GP practice, I believe becca used to do the same at another practice in the city, and also build stages at the AECC :tongue:

The 'build stages' part sounds cool. Hehe. Would it be easy to find work in a medical setting (like your GP job) for a medical student who's an international?
The 'build stages' part sounds cool. Hehe. Would it be easy to find work in a medical setting (like your GP job) for a medical student who's an international?

Well my job only became available as a student was graduating. There was an email sent out to the GPSoc and people were invited to apply. There was a lot of interest apparently. They aren't the sort of jobs which turn over every year...more like every five :s-smilie:

There is probably about 1 coming up each year, due to the low turnover as tsfms says.

I work as an events steward which is only like 9 hours a month in termtime (still an extra £54/mth), but i have considered changing companies for more shifts as there is time. Around my studying, I play hockey 4 times a week, spend a night a week helping out at a scout group and go to a few other socety things plus other social evens so if I dropped some of that I would have more time to work. I know people working as part time shop assistants and as promo staff for night clubs as well as HCA and carehome staff.

Can we clarify from your awfully worded sentence that Becca has never built a stage? Thank you.

Usually minimum second year for the knowledge/vocabulary required.
Can we clarify from your awfully worded sentence that Becca has never built a stage? Thank you.

Becca-Sarah has never built a stage.
Reply 1797
So how do most medical students find part-time employment? I understand that the student union has an employment service, but does it cater to the schedule of medical students?

I think there's some time to spare for work during the weekends or weekday nights? Have you decided where to firm by the way? :smile:
Original post by Ergo
So how do most medical students find part-time employment? I understand that the student union has an employment service, but does it cater to the schedule of medical students?

I think there's some time to spare for work during the weekends or weekday nights? Have you decided where to firm by the way? :smile:

In first year most days will be 9-1 or 9-3 with the very occasional 9-5. I suppose some people in the year do have jobs at Tesco and the like....but not very many. To tell you the truth very few medics have jobs, due many to their affluence as opposed to lack of time :rolleyes:
In first year most days will be 9-1 or 9-3 with the very occasional 9-5. I suppose some people in the year do have jobs at Tesco and the like....but not very many. To tell you the truth very few medics have jobs, due many to their affluence as opposed to lack of time :rolleyes:

:fatcontroller:

Quick Reply

Latest