The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by cowsforsale
i think it's cos you can't really cheat a rack pull with a rounded back. Different set up too.

Yeah defo. Took me a couple of sessions to get used to rack pulls. Meed to start with your shoulders further forward than on a normal deadlift.

Original post by CB5
Also, i found squatting bare foot worked really well for me when I squatted loads. Don't find the same benefit with front-squatting though.

Yeah. Gotta have proper shoes for front squats.
Reply 241
Original post by Becca
Yeah defo. Took me a couple of sessions to get used to rack pulls. Meed to start with your shoulders further forward than on a normal deadlift.

Yeah. Gotta have proper shoes for front squats.

I seem to find bare feet pretty good for front squats.
Reply 242
Original post by GQ.
I seem to find bare feet pretty good for front squats.

You must have better balance than me, I could hardly get any decent depth because I just seemed to tip forwards all the time until I got my shoes.
Reply 243
Original post by Becca
You must have better balance than me, I could hardly get any decent depth because I just seemed to tip forwards all the time until I got my shoes.

Ah ok fair enough. How much you front squatting now?
Reply 244
Also rack pulls are a bit harder because all the slack is taken out of the bar (unless you're doing block pulls with the plates themselves on elevated platforms/blocks).
Original post by SMed
Also rack pulls are a bit harder because all the slack is taken out of the bar (unless you're doing block pulls with the plates themselves on elevated platforms/blocks).

Snap. I thought rack pulls were identical to block pulls but that's a good point.

I just do block pulls because when I do them on the rack I have a tendency to deadlift properly and thus not do a really slow eccentric. So it just makes a ton of noise and attracts annoying people who work at the gym to tell me off.
lol

Reply 247
Original post by GQ.
Ah ok fair enough. How much you front squatting now?

PR is 60 x 3 x 3 unbelted. Never tried a 1RM in front squat. Apparently you should be able to C&J whatever you can front squat for a triple. By my PR I should be clean and jerking a lot more than I have done :emo:
Reply 248
Original post by Becca
PR is 60 x 3 x 3 unbelted. Never tried a 1RM in front squat. Apparently you should be able to C&J whatever you can front squat for a triple. By my PR I should be clean and jerking a lot more than I have done :emo:

I def could not clean and jerk my 3RM lol
Original post by Michael XYZ
Yes generally gonna be about £35-40.

It's funny. I was watching a Westside video or reading an old Westside article and they were talking about how Chucks are great to squat in but how you may not be able to get them as they're gonna go bust or something.

Someone they made a turn around 'cause now every other person wears them.

Apparently nike bought the company.
I was thinking of throwing in some front squats to correct some the problems with my back squat: leaning forward too much and having crap balance in the hole.
Reply 251
Original post by Becca

What the hell, i can barely clean 55kg, nevermind the second part to it, but i did 80kg Front squats 3x5 the other day :|
Reply 252
Original post by TheGrandmaster
I was thinking of throwing in some front squats to correct some the problems with my back squat: leaning forward too much and having crap balance in the hole.

well if you squat lowbar some forward lean is acceptable, i'm only going to add front squats for the sole purpose of getting some core work in and using it as an assistance for my dead lift. my arms ache trying to hold the bar up with front squats.
Reply 253

I learned to squat doing goblet squats (same principle as a front squat in terms of where the weight is), and if I were going to teach someone to squat I'd do it that was as well. Love front squats.

Original post by desijut
What the hell, i can barely clean 55kg, nevermind the second part to it, but i did 80kg Front squats 3x5 the other day :|

That might be a technique thing rather than strength...my C&J PR is 55kg and my clean PR is 58kg, so not *that* far off my front squats.
Original post by Gallium
well if you squat lowbar some forward lean is acceptable, i'm only going to add front squats for the sole purpose of getting some core work in and using it as an assistance for my dead lift. my arms ache trying to hold the bar up with front squats.

Original post by Becca
I learned to squat doing goblet squats (same principle as a front squat in terms of where the weight is), and if I were going to teach someone to squat I'd do it that was as well. Love front squats.

Tried front squats and it did what I had hoped it would :smile: My back squat form has got gradually worse and worse due to various injuries, so I think I'll stick with the front squat for a bit in order to try and 'relearn' how to squat properly.
Fancy training my cleans, always done them when squat rack was taken for press and enjoyed them. Is there a general rule about where your cleans should be in relation to squat/DL/bench or are they kind of indepedent of them?
Reply 256
Tried front squats and it did what I had hoped it would :smile: My back squat form has got gradually worse and worse due to various injuries, so I think I'll stick with the front squat for a bit in order to try and 'relearn' how to squat properly.

surely if you want to learn how to 'squat' just take the hit and deload on your back-squat.
Tried goblet squats like a month ago or something. Decent exercise but it gets you so tired with such light weight. I think I was doing like 40kg for sets of 12 or something. Which sounds ridiculously weak but like abs and lower back get killed!
Reply 258
Original post by Becca
That might be a technique thing rather than strength...my C&J PR is 55kg and my clean PR is 58kg, so not *that* far off my front squats.

Wow, that's crazy your lifts being that close, your technique must be on point. I take your point with the technique. I havent power cleaned much tbh

Also I got the converses, I got this pair, these are good right? They feel very comfortable:

Reply 259
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Fancy training my cleans, always done them when squat rack was taken for press and enjoyed them. Is there a general rule about where your cleans should be in relation to squat/DL/bench or are they kind of indepedent of them?

Not sure how it works for other people, but my clean is a little less than my bench.

From strongest to weakest I am: deadlift, squat, bench, clean, press.

My clean is quite close to my bench though.