The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7660
Your grades are too low for medicine as they stand currently. Just take the anatomy offer and apply later via GEM route

OP, you need to realistically understand whether medicine is the thing for you or not. You will find many people with the desire to accomplish many things but that desire and passion must be equally matched by ability.

If you complete this anatomy course with a strong showing that will demonstrate to yourself and to medical schools that you possess the required academic level qualifications for medicine, along with the work ethic, memory retention, revision and exam taking abilities which are even more essential. So far, your academic performance has been sub-par (for medicine that is...otherwise it's good). In order to truly strengthen your application, you need to get better academic grades.

No amount of passion, desire and rationalization for why you want to be a doctor, can replace academic qualifications.

So the moral of this is...be realistic about your goals...know that ability must parallel desire for courses like medicine and...the "don't ever give up on your dreams" advise that many will give you is overrated and often does more harm than good.

In response to your thread title, as your academics stand currently, yes medicine is a pipe dream. However, if you can manage a good showing in the degree, you can still achieve it. All the best.
Original post by abbiejh
Hello,
I am an 18 year old A-level student; I am currently seriously interested in pursuing a career in medicine although I am starting to feel that this is an unattainable goal. I would just like some inspiration and guidance about what options there are for me.

I have always been interested in science and performed well academically in biology chemistry and physics at GCSE level but It wasn’t until I suffered from a period of ill health that I become particularly interested in medicine. Neither of my parents or grandparents had been to university and I didn’t have any members of my family in the field of medicine, so I decided to seek career advice from my comprehensive school; They simply told me how challenging the application would be and to realistically think through my options, after this I found it hard to stay inspired. I began to feel that my hopes of one day becoming a doctor was irrational and that medicine was a goal reserved for students from a more privileged background. Once I left school I took up a job and spent a year working as a sales adviser, after working for some time I decided that I should go back to education and study my A-levels at my local community college. I am currently studying A-level Law, human biology and Psychology. Studying A-level human biology began to cement my decision to try and pursue a career in medicine; as I have particularly enjoyed exploring the different ways in which our bodies fight infectious disease and learning how the human body produces specific immune responses. I know that I would like the chance to implement my biological interests and abilities into real life situations.
I managed to secure myself a scholarship at Liverpool University to study human anatomy, and I am currently part of the realising opportunities scholarship which can be applied to 12 research intensive universities. Although I am not studying A level chemistry and only have my GCSE grades in maths an English at a C and a D. although at A-level I am predicted the grades AAB.

To further my insight into the medical profession I participated in a work experience placement in the Royal Liverpool university hospital throughout the summer. I gained a valuable understanding of the workings of the hospital. During the placement I shadowed consultants throughout ward rounds, spent time in the AMAU, and also had the opportunity to join a surgeon and observe several ocular operations, I witnessed first-hand the many challenges facing not only healthcare professionals but also patients; this involvement highlighted the essential nature of teamwork in all aspects of medicine. I also spent some time on a ward where I became familiar with some of the patients; I was encouraged to talk to patients where appropriate this helped me learn the importance of the role of empathy and good communication with both patients and other members of staff. I feel that this volunteering has been invaluable in the development of my communication skills and my ability to work as part of a team.
I will be 19 when I finish my A-levels and I am contemplating re-sitting my GCSE maths and English next year. So I will be 20 once that has been done, I don’t know what options there is for me. I just know that I don’t want to make the wrong decision and I feel pressured to take my scholarship and study human anatomy this year but I feel that I will be selling myself short and that It’s not truly what I want.

any advice is welcome :smile:

You can join a mechanical engineering course and become an orthopedic surgeon. I am being serious.
Hey,
I have a real passion to do medicine and I'm currently studying as-levels in Biology, Chemistry and English. Approx by the end of A levels I'm hoping to have Biology to a B and English at B aswell (Realistic goals) . However chemistry is a MASSIVE problem. It's so hard! I'm getting U's! Is there any universities that offer Medicine courses without having to get straight A's? Please help! :smile: Thanks x
Original post by gingyblonde
Hey,
I have a real passion to do medicine and I'm currently studying as-levels in Biology, Chemistry and English. Approx by the end of A levels I'm hoping to have Biology to a B and English at B aswell (Realistic goals) . However chemistry is a MASSIVE problem. It's so hard! I'm getting U's! Is there any universities that offer Medicine courses without having to get straight A's? Please help! :smile: Thanks x

Unfortunately not, medicine is extremely competitive.

See here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Could you perhaps get a private tutor? Or reassess your current study/revision technique in order to up your grades? :smile:
Reply 7664
Original post by Elwyn
Not 100% true, some of them just have lower entry requirements. I think UEA is BBB? Not sure.

There are two types of foundation course. One (typically referred to as pre-med) is directed at those who have the wrong A level subjects (typically those without Chemistry) These have the same academic requirements as the five year alternative e.g. Cardiff A104 and Sheffield A104 course is AAA. The second has lower entry requirements but is directed at those who fulfill a set criteria such as going to a non selective school and living in a less affluent area but have the same A level subject requirements as the five year alternatives. Examples include King's EMDP, Nottingham's A108 and Southampton's BM6 programme. The access courses are run at certain colleges and just give you a qualification which is equivalent to A levels and some medical schools accept it as an alternative. Hope that clears things up :smile:
Reply 7665
Hey,

Not going to happen, the competition is so fierce.

You could try post-graduate entry, although that is actually more competitive.
Reply 7666
Original post by abbiejh
hello, yes I have a place to study anatomy in September I also have been offered a place at Liverpool to study physiology but I have kept that as my insurance. I just don't want to make a choice I could end up regretting for potentially the rest of my life. I have had a look on the internet and have found several pre-med courses that do accept the wrong mix of a-levels with one subject so I was hoping to apply for these once I have my Maths and English high enough. x

How much is your scholarship worth? I'm going to be honest my initial reaction is that you should take the scholarship. Your GCSE grades and A Level grades, and A Level subjects are a massive problem and I don't believe that resitting your GCSEs would add much advantage and may not even be recognised. You risk doing a lot of years trying to improve your applicant profile, during which you lose your scholarship, to not be successful.

We don't know what the funding situation will be like for graduate entry medicine in coming years but it's likely to be pretty tough and involve a fronting of a substantial amount of money for the first year at least.
Hey,

Yes and no. If you're getting Us then no. If you'll eventually get Bs then yes. There are schemes (widening access) to allow students from a particular socioeconomic background to apply, which have lower entry requirements.
Reply 7668
Original post by lekky
How much is your scholarship worth? I'm going to be honest my initial reaction is that you should take the scholarship. Your GCSE grades and A Level grades, and A Level subjects are a massive problem and I don't believe that resitting your GCSEs would add much advantage and may not even be recognised. You risk doing a lot of years trying to improve your applicant profile, during which you lose your scholarship, to not be successful.

We don't know what the funding situation will be like for graduate entry medicine in coming years but it's likely to be pretty tough and involve a fronting of a substantial amount of money for the first year at least.

my scholarship is worth 3000. I just don't know if I can carry the financial burden of graduate entry as I come from a really low income background and my family cant support me through university at all. I am planning on living off student loans and part time work so I just don't know how long I can do that for realisticly I might not be able to manage? x
I wanna do dentistry and for A-levels i plan to do Biology, Chemistry, Religious Studies and French does that give me an edge or not? I really don't want to do maths because it is SOOOO boring in my opinion but if i have to then I guess so anyways my GCSEs are gonna be average because i flopped yr 10 does that mean i have no chance in hell or what?
Reply 7670
Original post by lil-mazie
I wanna do dentistry and for A-levels i plan to do Biology, Chemistry, Religious Studies and French does that give me an edge or not? I really don't want to do maths because it is SOOOO boring in my opinion but if i have to then I guess so anyways my GCSEs are gonna be average because i flopped yr 10 does that mean i have no chance in hell or what?

Subject choices don't give you an "edge" it's just a requirement. As long as you have Chemistry and Biology the third A level can be anything apart from Critical thinking and General studies. What matters is your personal statement/UKCAT and grades. Lower GCSE grades will put you at a disadvantage when it comes to applying.
thats to bad, why do they care about GCSEs so much anyways?
Reply 7672

Depends on the university, some put more emphasis on GCSEs than others. Dentistry is so competitive and it's just one way of cutting down the applicant numbers (e.g. If a university states they want 5A*s they will reject everyone who doesn't meet that cut off)

Because they need something to classify applicants with. Most applicants are expected AAA, have good extra curricular activities, good work experience, a competent UKCAT of over 600 (with averages getting higher and higher every year).
In other words, they need ways in which to differentiate between applicants and work out who to invite for interview.
Reply 7674
I got 4 Rejections first time round. I am predicted AAA but got AAADE last year. A's in Bio, Chem & Maths

I KNOW Medicine is what I want. Shame that I was too scared to be commited to it earlier. I have so many Regrets for choosing English Lit and getting a D and not something i actually enjoy.

Im so scared of this gap year as I'm not confident alone.

I had ukcat of 645 and a rushed PS. I have work exp and volunteering. Not even one interview, feel so hopeless.
Anyone got any ideas on what things may give me an advantage?

Any help will be appreciated :redface:
Reply 7675
Original post by NikRohit
I got 4 Rejections first time round. I am predicted AAA but got AAADE last year. A's in Bio, Chem & Maths

I KNOW Medicine is what I want. Shame that I was too scared to be commited to it earlier. I have so many Regrets for choosing English Lit and getting a D and not something i actually enjoy.

Im so scared of this gap year as I'm not confident alone.

I had ukcat of 645 and a rushed PS. I have work exp and volunteering. Not even one interview, feel so hopeless.
Anyone got any ideas on what things may give me an advantage?

Any help will be appreciated :redface:

Perhaps you should make sure you take the time to write a good statement instead of rushing it. Also ideally your fourth AS subject needs to be at a grade B although some do accept a C. With a D your choices will be restricted. Where did you apply and what were your gcse grades?
Reply 7676
Not really sure if this question fits in here, As far as entrance exams I've found the BMAT easier than the UKCAT as far as the practise exams are, due to this I've been thinking I should play to this and apply for mostly BMAT med schools but most of them are london schools and my chem teacher has advised me to only have 1, max 2 London universities but I'm nervous about having 3 or 4 UKCAT based options because of the UKCAT difficulty itself. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Also again not sure if this question should go here but how valuable are Gap Medics placements to med schools?
Reply 7677
Original post by Aziz201
Not really sure if this question fits in here, As far as entrance exams I've found the BMAT easier than the UKCAT as far as the practise exams are, due to this I've been thinking I should play to this and apply for mostly BMAT med schools but most of them are london schools and my chem teacher has advised me to only have 1, max 2 London universities but I'm nervous about having 3 or 4 UKCAT based options because of the UKCAT difficulty itself. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Also again not sure if this question should go here but how valuable are Gap Medics placements to med schools?

Unlike the BMAT, you can sit the UKCAT before you apply and receive its results instantaneously. If you get a high UKCAT, you can decide then where to apply to.

My suggestion would be to sit the UKCAT in August / September and then reevaluate where you are going to apply to based on your UKCAT score. The BMAT is risky as you apply without knowing how well you did in it.
Hi,

I know, I know, there are a billion threads similar to this one, floating around on this forum; but I am in dire need of advice and was hoping that some of the more knowledgeable members would be able to offer some help. I'm hoping to gain a place to read Medicine, for 2013 entry, and my academics are as follows:

GCSEs: 2A*s, 10As
AS: AABB (Chemistry, English Literature, Maths and Biology respectively)
A2: A*A*A*A*

The Universities I'm hoping to apply to:

Cambridge University
Imperial
Southampton
Durham

I realise neither my GCSE nor AS grades are particularly impressive, but I was wondering whether my A2 results combined with good BMAT/UKCAT scores would compensate. I'm aware that Cambridge looks at UMS scores for AS results, however, having already achieved my A-levels results, to what extent would my AS results hinder my chances of getting in?

Any help will be much appreciated; congratulations to those with offers for 2012 entry! And good luck to anyone hoping to apply soon!

S.J
Reply 7679
Hi :smile: I'm not sure about Cambridge admissions but I would think that if you already achieved a string of A*s at A2 your UMS at AS wouldn't matter anymore. For imperial you need to meet the cut off for the BMAT to stand a decent shot at interview. The cut off depends on the scores of the rest of the applicants so it could change each year. Durham interview solely by ranking UKCAT scores and interview all those above their cut off so a score of 670+ should be safe however again this changes every year. Southampton is very competitive because they don't interview so your personal statement and reference have to be absolutely top notch as they really don't pay much attention to grades. :smile: