The Student Room Group

Help a Yankee: An American Studying MA in Human Rights or International Relations

Good day mates!

I'm an Amercian student looking to study for my Masters in the UK. I'm new to this forum, too, and would love to hear some thoughts.

I have a question:

I have applied to four schools: 2 for Human Rights (Essex and York) and 2 for International Relations (Exeter and Bath).

So far I have been accepted to: Essex and Exeter. Between these schools, which might you recommend? I hear Essex is a bit drab, but the Human Rights program is #1 in Europe.

I'm leaning towards Essex, but love to the looks of Exeter. International Relations sounds, also, like a good program there. Job-wise, I think IR might be a better choice. But I'd really like to work in Human Rights... so the Essex program might be better suited to that. Although I imagine you'd study some Human Rights in the IR program.

Thanks so much!
Reply 1
I'm not sure what you are asking, but Exeter is a better Uni than Essex overall. The town is lovely as well
Original post by katieeeL
I'm not sure what you are asking, but Exeter is a better Uni than Essex overall. The town is lovely as well

I'm sorry my post was a bit long... I'm trying to decide which university is better for the degree... and what is a nicer place to live.

I've been trying to decide between International Relations and Human Rights... but am more curious about the two schools.

Thanks so much for responding =)... so you prefer Exeter. The campus looks very nice, from the virtual tours. I'm pretty excited about the program too... just Human Rights at Essex seemed pretty well regarded, as well.
Reply 3
yes after visiting both places during my year abroad last year, i definitely prefer exeter. i guess the only thing i can tell you, is to EXTENSIVELY research both locations and unis. also look at the job placement, i feel like you would have a better chance with an international relations degree. it's sad that you won't get a chance to visit in person before deciding. :/
Original post by katieeeL
yes after visiting both places during my year abroad last year, i definitely prefer exeter. i guess the only thing i can tell you, is to EXTENSIVELY research both locations and unis. also look at the job placement, i feel like you would have a better chance with an international relations degree. it's sad that you won't get a chance to visit in person before deciding. :/

Hahaha... I've been extensively researching =)! And I think I'm definitely leaning towards Exeter, and doing my dissertation on a human rightist topic (best of both worlds maybe ;D).

I've read lots about Exeter... but what is your impression of the place? Nice pubs and cafes? I kind of like the smaller-town vibe I was getting from the place.

I did my time abroad in Ireland, and spent quite a bit of time in the UK... but it was mostly in and around London... not in Exeter =(...

Thanks =)
Reply 5
it definitely has a quaint, small town vibe. i'm currently deciding if it's too small for me. my have offers from exeter, brum, and southampton so it's decision time :smile: here is what my best friend who is studying at brum but is from exeter had to say when i asked for my own reasons:

"personally, i much prefer exeter...but that's just me (and also because i am from here, i probably just know more about what's going on here, etc). it's a pretty place, and has the advantage of being a nice, small city which you can get to know well. also, it is nearby to so many nice coastal towns, beaches, and countryside!

oh, also one thing to say - exeter uni attracts a lot of oxbridge rejects (like, people who applied to oxford and cambridge, but didn't get in). they have a reputation for attracting rich kids, basically..y'know the jack wills/hollister crew, all wuth own horse and yatch! saying that though, i have met a few lovely people from exeter uni who aren't at all like that."

maybe that will help?

Quick Reply

Latest