The Student Room Group

(Civil Engineering):Edinburgh,Warwick,M anchester,Nottingham,Liverpool

I need help for choosing my firm choice.

Conditional Offers:
Edinburgh(AAB including Physics & Maths)
Warwick(AAB including Physics & Maths)
Manchester(AAB including Physics & Maths)
Nottingham (ABB including Maths) <------------Insurance
Liverpool(BBB including Maths) <--------------Not considering
I'd pick Warwick
Reply 2
Can I kn what reason make u pick Warwick?? Thank you
Original post by crytung

It's a highly regarded University and their faculty of Mathematics is very good.
Reply 4
Original post by crytung

Probably the best uni for it, Warwick are known for their mathematics, however I heard it's not that good of a city. Edinburgh is a great city and I've been to manchester too.

I know I sound stupid saying this, but you have to be happy about the scenery and where you are, you don't want to be in a ****hole for 3 years. I haven't been to warwick though so I'm not gonna say that it is. Have you been to all the places for a visit day?
Reply 5
I have been to Manchester and Edinburgh....I think the facilities in Manchester is gd and i like the place Edinburgh...Since I am from Hong Kong....i personally like Edinburgh the most out of these three because it has less chinese(i want to practise my english) and very good reputation over the world. However, i am thinking manchester or warwick maybe a better choice for this course....and the program in edinburgh is 4 years long....
And also....i kn Warwick is famous for the business course n the mathematics course...but not engineering....Edinburgh is ranked the highest in the subject ranking....however my teacher said warwick is a really gd uni with gd quality of all the courses and ppl say manchester has gd engineering courses....
one more thing....i am not sure whether i can reach the requirements...edinburgh is likely the one still want me if my grades are close.....
i am just so confused because the enviornment is not that important for me ,as an international student ,i just don't want to waste the money and choose the best uni that i can get into....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Manchester.
However I haven't been to the other Universities and know little about them.
Reply 7
There's not much difference in it arguably ... but if I had to choose a firm, it would actually be your insurance Nottingham - of your choices I'd say Manchester and Notts have the strongest civ eng departments, and Notts has better industrial links. All that stuff aside, obviously a big factor in your choice should be where you feel you'll be happiest.
Reply 8
I kn Nottingham has a strong civil department however the ranking in civil of manchester is quite low....i am surprised that edinburgh is the second highest out of those 5...but i do think the facilities in manchester are the best out of my choices
Reply 9
Original post by crytung
I kn Nottingham has a strong civil department however the ranking in civil of manchester is quite low....i am surprised that edinburgh is the second highest out of those 5...but i do think the facilities in manchester are the best out of my choices

To tell the truth, if your experience is anything like mine your time with facilities / lab equipment will be quite limited.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to league tables - they're dynamic and change every year based on arbitrary weightings. A slightly more useful way to gauge rep would be to email top companies in the sector you're interested in and asking them which unis they tend to target.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending