The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by obamtl
In 2010, there were 26 places, with 29 offered the job (info available in the official report on the 2010 FSAC. the ICT Capabilities Strategy of HM Government, released a couple of months ago, goes on to explain the strategic importance of the TiB Fast Stream to civil service and how it is being (will be) expanded to provide a talent stream for the civil service ICT needs. Up until the 2010 FSAC, the number of positions have increased yearly. I do not have official figures for 2011 yet, but I find it hard to believe the numbers were cut to 11, against the government objective to entrench the relatively new TiB scheme.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30940620 , I'm not sure what context that is based against though. I've already read the 2010 recruitment report and the ict one, which is where I got the 20ish places from.
Original post by Lee1
I have been reading posts since about the 50th page and have only got round to writing on here.

Come September I would have been in the Civil Service for two years on a business graduate scheme. I applied for the Fast Stream on the last day (only managed to select CD due to this) and had my process completed much earlier than some of those who have posted.

I feel the anguish for waiting. I sat my FSAC on Feb 14th and got my result on the 21st (I got through FSAC for CD). i have subsequently bene placed in MoD which is the department I currently work in.

What I am getting at and its for the majority of those who have been unsuccessful is that you can do much greater prepartion for this than you originally thought. I have friends who are on the Fast Stream and I ran my ideas past them.

Little breakdown:

Group Exercise - Read your role first, paramount and so important. You will then be able to pick bits of info from the options which relate directly to your goal/role. Focus on the options which have specific purpose to you and write lists of pro's and con's. Then cross your fingers for a little bit of luck and make sure that you are comprehensive in what you say. This is more about how you work with people. Basic skills of negotiation - imagine you were talking to someone incredibly important and think about your conduct. You may be able to script an opening e.g. "right as we only have 45 minutes to discuss shall we align the objectives and then go around introducing ourselves and what options are our priority"

Policy Exercise 1 - Write as many examples as possible, regardless of how ridiculous they are. I wrote 32 examples, concise and short answered.

Policy Exercise 2 - Think about hte layout first and foremost. It should be no longer than 2 pages (i wrote 3 and a half but got carried away). I wrote a layout from the outset with titles and subheadings and then filled it in once I had annotated the evidence.

Briefing - This is all down to you. Plan it, break it down and think about wider issues. Simply don't panic. Read the question and do what it says. If it says discuss how it may be implemented then do so. This is a thinking on your feet exercise with the questioning.

Interview - plan your competencies and remember them. Align them with the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result - through in Learning from Experience too.

I had my FSAC Report maybe three weeks ago and scored quite well with 20. I have to go and see my fast stream manager on Tuesday.

Without sounding patronising you just have to think about your approach.

Ok, without sounding rude I don't think that this is right at all. Like @Lovers in Japan, I didn't do any preparation for my FSAC.

I didn't even get a good nights sleep before. I went out with an ex boyfriend and stayed out until four in the morning. I then went back to my hotel and the heater was stuck on 42 degrees Celsius so I lay, whimpering, drunk, sick and enormously hot for about an hour until i went and slept on the balcony instead.

In hindsight, this was probably a terrible thing to do, butit absolutely relaxed me for the day ahead as i went out, had fun and didn't think about it. People, do not follow my advice though! It might not work for everybody!

But the thing I do take issue in your long statement is your overemphasis on preparation. The FSAC are designed to accomodate people from working mums and dads to 3rd year undergraduates to people who have been out of work for decades. I have found the process to be fair and equal. If you needed to do lots of preparation, then that would discriminate against people who don't have time.

Finally, your policy recommendation idea is ONE way of doing it. I didn't do it like that or the briefing exercise like that and i got nearly full marks on both. I just wrote and wrote and wrte with little structure and zero headings.

So, the FSAC is like any good exam. It helps you find your strengths and perform well on your interpretation of the question. Robotic preparation is not always the best things, and for some people, just isnt possible in their working time-frame.
Reply 2182
Original post by Lee1
I have been reading posts since about the 50th page and have only got round to writing on here.

Come September I would have been in the Civil Service for two years on a business graduate scheme. I applied for the Fast Stream on the last day (only managed to select CD due to this) and had my process completed much earlier than some of those who have posted.

I feel the anguish for waiting. I sat my FSAC on Feb 14th and got my result on the 21st (I got through FSAC for CD). i have subsequently bene placed in MoD which is the department I currently work in.

What I am getting at and its for the majority of those who have been unsuccessful is that you can do much greater prepartion for this than you originally thought. I have friends who are on the Fast Stream and I ran my ideas past them.

Little breakdown:

Group Exercise - Read your role first, paramount and so important. You will then be able to pick bits of info from the options which relate directly to your goal/role. Focus on the options which have specific purpose to you and write lists of pro's and con's. Then cross your fingers for a little bit of luck and make sure that you are comprehensive in what you say. This is more about how you work with people. Basic skills of negotiation - imagine you were talking to someone incredibly important and think about your conduct. You may be able to script an opening e.g. "right as we only have 45 minutes to discuss shall we align the objectives and then go around introducing ourselves and what options are our priority"

Policy Exercise 1 - Write as many examples as possible, regardless of how ridiculous they are. I wrote 32 examples, concise and short answered.

Policy Exercise 2 - Think about hte layout first and foremost. It should be no longer than 2 pages (i wrote 3 and a half but got carried away). I wrote a layout from the outset with titles and subheadings and then filled it in once I had annotated the evidence.

Briefing - This is all down to you. Plan it, break it down and think about wider issues. Simply don't panic. Read the question and do what it says. If it says discuss how it may be implemented then do so. This is a thinking on your feet exercise with the questioning.

Interview - plan your competencies and remember them. Align them with the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result - through in Learning from Experience too.

I had my FSAC Report maybe three weeks ago and scored quite well with 20. I have to go and see my fast stream manager on Tuesday.

Without sounding patronising you just have to think about your approach.

I'm inclined to with ellie_flower about the overemphasis on preparation here. Less so about the going out and getting drunk the night before :biggrin: ! My issue with the guidance above is that most of what you say isn't really substantive 'preparation'. Sure, the interview responses are, but the rest isn't. Think how much of the list above you would have been able to actually action prior to entering the room.

In terms of the guidance you do give, I'm more equivocal between the two posts (of Lee and Ellie):

Group Exercise - it is important to have a grip on all the arguments, not just those relating directly to your own priorities. Having this broader strategic awareness really helps steer the discussion and contributes to very high scores on drive for results and to a certain extent building productive relationships. (Source, my FSAC report)

Policy Exercise 1 - write as many as you can but *dont* write totally ridiculous ones. Try to write for each what the idea is and, in a few words, why it is related to the task. No more than 2 short sentences. (source, talking to assessors at FSAC, previous FSAC reports of others).

Policy Exercise 2 - Clear structure and layout was credited on my FSAC, but that doesn't mean its the only way to go. The 2-page limit is wrong - length doesn't matter so long as you cover issues in a clear and defined way, and don't waffle. If this means 2 pages for an individual, that's cool, but for others it may mean 3, 4, even 5. (source, my FSAC report, others FSAC reports)

Briefing and Interview - agreed. W.r.t briefing, you can reduce the thinking on your feet element if you have time in the preparation to think of pitfalls and how you would address them.

General point is though that the preparation that can be done is indeed limited, although an approach to take into FSAC can be developed beforehand (for those who failed this year, the FSAC report is indeed the best place to start).

Good luck to anyone expecting updates this week :smile:
Original post by lm222
I'm inclined to with ellie_flower about the overemphasis on preparation here. Less so about the going out and getting drunk the night before :biggrin: ! My issue with the guidance above is that most of what you say isn't really substantive 'preparation'. Sure, the interview responses are, but the rest isn't. Think how much of the list above you would have been able to actually action prior to entering the room.

In terms of the guidance you do give, I'm more equivocal between the two posts (of Lee and Ellie):

Group Exercise - it is important to have a grip on all the arguments, not just those relating directly to your own priorities. Having this broader strategic awareness really helps steer the discussion and contributes to very high scores on drive for results and to a certain extent building productive relationships. (Source, my FSAC report)

Policy Exercise 1 - write as many as you can but *dont* write totally ridiculous ones. Try to write for each what the idea is and, in a few words, why it is related to the task. No more than 2 short sentences. (source, talking to assessors at FSAC, previous FSAC reports of others).

Policy Exercise 2 - Clear structure and layout was credited on my FSAC, but that doesn't mean its the only way to go. The 2-page limit is wrong - length doesn't matter so long as you cover issues in a clear and defined way, and don't waffle. If this means 2 pages for an individual, that's cool, but for others it may mean 3, 4, even 5. (source, my FSAC report, others FSAC reports)

Briefing and Interview - agreed. W.r.t briefing, you can reduce the thinking on your feet element if you have time in the preparation to think of pitfalls and how you would address them.

General point is though that the preparation that can be done is indeed limited, although an approach to take into FSAC can be developed beforehand (for those who failed this year, the FSAC report is indeed the best place to start).

Good luck to anyone expecting updates this week :smile:

Don't know why you got negged for that...I think your ideas are very valid!

Still waiting on results grrrr
Reply 2184
Ellie_Flower,

I certainly wouldn't encourage anybody to go and get tanked up the night before but if it works for you then thats impressive.

Its each to their own, what my post was attempting to relay is that if your missing out slightly by a couple of marks then you can hone certian skills and techniques to improve. Each exercise will have areas which you can prepare for and build your confidence; especially where there is face ot face interaction.

Structure and approach helped me for the briefing and policy exercise and as I scored surprisingly well I must of been doong something right - just trying to pass on hints and tips which may help others.

Like all employers they want the best candidates for the jobs so honing your skills is a good place to start if you wish to improve.

Good Luck to those who haven't heard yet.
Reply 2185
Original post by lovers in japan
Don't know why you got negged for that...I think your ideas are very valid!

Still waiting on results grrrr

I agree - it's a helpful breakdown, even if it wasn't what Lovers In Japan, ellie_flower or I did (I had BPTC coursework in the same day as my FSAC, so I was concentrating more on that the night before than on the impending interview). I find over-prepping for interviews, as for exams, gets me panicked and my mind goes blank. But then, I didn't bring out some things in the interview I should have, and was kicking myself on the way to the tube station....

People work in different ways, I guess - helpful to hear someone else's view :smile:

S x
I think I've checked about 50 times today so far.

Going crazy now!
Just had reply about when HR results are out, I got this,

"You should receive the results tomorrow but no later than Thursday hopefully."

I like the hopefully on the end!
Oh why can't they just tell us now, FSACs are all over so surely setting the final pass mark is easy as?
Reply 2189
Original post by rach2012
... you may need to take the week off work though lol (hmm excellent advice for myself :smile: )

The trouble with that is that my 'work' is two little girls that will need someone else to look after then whilst I get on with stuff. Unless its during school holidays I doubt my ex would take them for a week, and the same for my parents even if they happen to be in the country at the time...
Oh why can't they just tell us now, FSACs are all over so surely setting the final pass mark is easy as?

I know. This waiting is surely some sort of test!?
Reply 2191
Are there many of us left waiting for results?
Reply 2192
anyone at all still waiting on efs?
A fair few, I know More Tea Vicar is waiting for DS, I'm waiting for HoP...
Reply 2194
I'm waiting for HoP, too...

Presumably the interviewers haven't finished the reports? That would explain delay....
Have any of those who were waiting for the northern ireland scheme earlier in the thread heard anything yet?
Original post by Satis
I'm waiting for HoP, too...

Presumably the interviewers haven't finished the reports? That would explain delay....

But my FSAC was ages ago so why wouldn't they have done the reports?
Hi Moonberry, I am still waiting on the NI fast stream, FSAC on 5th March, are you still waiting? when was your fsac? Maybe no news is good news?!
But my FSAC was ages ago so why wouldn't they have done the reports?

No, they have finished the reports. They only give you the reports when youve either been rejected or been accepted onto the program with the little * next to it. The second I withdrew from HoP I got my report.

If you read your report you'll see your score so you'll know whether youve got through to HoP.
Reply 2199
I know tonnes of you are still waiting on results, good luck!

To those that have heard, I went on the FSAC open day yesterday and wondered if anyone wanted to hear about it? It was quite a full and busy morning but really useful for learning more about actually what a cd fast streamer does! They even had two or three ds potentials as well as a HoP guy.

For anyone whos got cd and hasn't decided or waiting to get their department it was really really useful! I spent the day apologising for already knowing my department as there were representatives from the majority that take fast streamers. They ran through the three kinds of roles a fast streamer will do; corporate, policy and operations. Then there was a 'speed dating' session which was pretty hectic as we went round in small groups talking to about fifteen departments in five minute slots.

I would recommend the day for just learning more about whats expected of you. I was lucky as the guy talking about the corporate stuff was mod so he revealed a lot.

If you want to know More I can try and remember it!

Good luck to everyone waiting on results xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending