The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UCL or Manchester for Biomedical science?

I've got an offer from both UCL and Manchester, both asking the same grades and I'm not sure what to put down as my firm.

Most people are telling me to put down UCL because it's higher up in the rankings and it's supposed to be a better university overall/better employment prospects etc. But when i went to the departmental open day I was really not impressed. There were no biomedical students around to ask any questions and the course seemed to be geared towards doing graduate entry medicine afterward (which is not what I want to do).

Personally I preferred Manchester but with lots of people telling me to go to UCL instead, I'm really confused!
Most people are telling me to put down UCL because it's higher up in the rankings and it's supposed to be a better university overall/better employment prospects etc. But when i went to the departmental open day I was really not impressed. There were no biomedical students around to ask any questions and the course seemed to be geared towards doing graduate entry medicine afterward (which is not what I want to do).

Personally I preferred Manchester but with lots of people telling me to go to UCL instead, I'm really confused!

Well I am a Londoner and a UoM firmer. UCL does have a great reputation overall, UoM's Life Science department has an amazing reputation. The reasons UoM won me over was because on the open day everyone was so welcoming. The chief admissions officer (Liz Sheffield) was amazing at selling the school to me as the focus was on research and making contributions to the field of science instead of using the degree as a way of getting into medicine.
The course itself is amazing as it can be tailored around your interests. The Life Science department is highly regarded by employers and student satisfaction is high. On the open day all the guides were second year life science students and were nice and helpful and genuinely liked the school.

I am slightly bias toward Manchester but I can see the attraction that UCL gives. I think that sometimes looking at a uni overall instead of by department isn't the best thing to do. Also you need to think about where you will enjoy going. No point going somewhere if you have concerns about whether you'll be happy there.
I've lived in London all my life and thought I would never leave but I can't wait to go to Manchester solely due to how amazing and welcoming it was when I visited it and it's focus on research which is essentially what I want to do.

Hope that helped.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I totally get where you're coming from (and I'm a Londoner myself!). I got the same impression when I visited Manchester too. I probably will be firming Manchester now.
What course did you apply for?
Reply 3
UCL has a better rep and better contacts with industry so you'll be more likely to be able to get a job after. However UCL has no way near as much of a student spirit as Manchester, and if you're from London then if you want something different to A levels I would go to Manchester and have a great partying time
Original post by Effy
Thank you so much! I totally get where you're coming from (and I'm a Londoner myself!). I got the same impression when I visited Manchester too. I probably will be firming Manchester now.
What course did you apply for?

Same as you. Biomedical Science but with industrial experience as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Alex_K123
UCL has a better rep and better contacts with industry so you'll be more likely to be able to get a job after. However UCL has no way near as much of a student spirit as Manchester, and if you're from London then if you want something different to A levels I would go to Manchester and have a great partying time

Have you actually been to UCL? Granted I've not been to Manchester, but I'm a UCL student and I dislike strongly the stereotype that UCL's somehow rubbish for parties/nights out/etc; you have all of London on your doorstep, plenty of it's affordable for student nights, and while I realise Manchester has an amazingly fabulous nightlife, London's really isn't bad either. You can quite cheerfully come here and party for your whole degree; plenty of people do.

I've not been to Manchester and I don't do biomedical science, but I'd say to go with where you prefer the feel of and where you'll be happier; there's not enough difference in 'reputation' for that to be a massive factor. Also bear in mind that Manchester is a substantially cheaper city than London.
Reply 6
Original post by kerily
Have you actually been to UCL? Granted I've not been to Manchester, but I'm a UCL student and I dislike strongly the stereotype that UCL's somehow rubbish for parties/nights out/etc; you have all of London on your doorstep, plenty of it's affordable for student nights, and while I realise Manchester has an amazingly fabulous nightlife, London's really isn't bad either. You can quite cheerfully come here and party for your whole degree; plenty of people do.

I've not been to Manchester and I don't do biomedical science, but I'd say to go with where you prefer the feel of and where you'll be happier; there's not enough difference in 'reputation' for that to be a massive factor. Also bear in mind that Manchester is a substantially cheaper city than London.

Nothing against UCL, hd my best friend there and another in LSE that I saw quite a bit. You guys can certainly party, but the difference is you have the whole of London to party in, so whilst you have some student nights that are big, you go to other nights around the place that aren;t as studenty or arre often more course specific. My experience elsewhere is that you;re forced to do more studenty nights as not as much on as in London so you get to know everyone a bit better.

Agree with your cost factor too, a round in manchester going to be less painful than in London. Another thing, which may or not be of interest, is London is a more international city and UCL reflects this, maybe you'll make best mates from people lving all over the world which has to have its perks!
Original post by Alex_K123
is London is a more international city and UCL reflects this

I was talking to someone from Devon on my visit day and Manchester was a lot more multicultural than they thought it would be but for me it was a lot less but I guess coming from London it would be difficult to find somewhere else in England as diverse
Reply 8
Original post by Mike-nificent
I was talking to someone from Devon on my visit day and Manchester was a lot more multicultural than they thought it would be but for me it was a lot less but I guess coming from London it would be difficult to find somewhere else in England as diverse

You're right there mike. I;m not saying manchester isn't, but London is a world city and there's only about 10 places like it in terms of people from literally all around the world. I saw something during the last world cup where you they showed you the local pubs, restuarants and hangouts of each nation playing, and each had a population of at least about 50k in London which is just crazy, but fun.

Quick Reply