The Student Room Group

Psychology a level revision

HI everyone, really need some help with psychology revision. My teacher says it is exam technique I need to work on to get an A, what is exam technique and how do get really good at it?
Please help, really need this to get into uni!!!
Reply 1
Make high quality notes on EVERYTHING and revise them (:
Read your notes everyday and do a few past questions everyday aswel. Don't leave it to the last minute because there is so much to learn.
Reply 2
technique for writing essay?
Reply 3
Original post by Mosinbad
technique for writing essay?

Yea essay technique would be very useful:smile:
Reply 4
I got an A in Unit 1 by making a mind map of all my notes condensed. Then I just read and reread that which would take like 10 minutes and did a few practice papers. I think the biggest tip is to elaborate. Pretend you're trying to explain your answer to a five year old because you need to really state the obvious in your answers. It's helpful to look through mark schemes to see the kind of detail they're looking for. Also remember to evaluate. An easy way to evaluate is just look at what type of experiment it is and evaluate that (lab - no extraneous variables, high ecological validity, etc) and then look at the kind of study (longitudinal?), the sample size (small? biassed) etc. That way you have all these general points you can add onto your evaluation for any study you're asked to discuss.
Reply 5
Original post by LeaX
I got an A in Unit 1 by making a mind map of all my notes condensed. Then I just read and reread that which would take like 10 minutes and did a few practice papers. I think the biggest tip is to elaborate. Pretend you're trying to explain your answer to a five year old because you need to really state the obvious in your answers. It's helpful to look through mark schemes to see the kind of detail they're looking for. Also remember to evaluate. An easy way to evaluate is just look at what type of experiment it is and evaluate that (lab - no extraneous variables, high ecological validity, etc) and then look at the kind of study (longitudinal?), the sample size (small? biassed) etc. That way you have all these general points you can add onto your evaluation for any study you're asked to discuss.

Thankyou this is really useful
Reply 6
Is this A2 or AS?

At AS I mainly used my teachers handouts, and my textbook. Learn specific evaluation points, e.g. research evidence. Evaluate that research perhaps. Look at the markschemes - what do they want? They repeat questions every now and again in a different context, so just memorise markschemes.

A2 - Currently i'm just making notes on all my topics (PSYA4) except research methods. Then I'll learn them. More relaxed about this as I only need a C to get an A overall.
Reply 7
Original post by Student221
Thankyou this is really useful

Your welcome. :smile: If you want any more help just send me a message or something.
Reply 8
Original post by EffKayy
Is this A2 or AS?

At AS I mainly used my teachers handouts, and my textbook. Learn specific evaluation points, e.g. research evidence. Evaluate that research perhaps. Look at the markschemes - what do they want? They repeat questions every now and again in a different context, so just memorise markschemes.

A2 - Currently i'm just making notes on all my topics (PSYA4) except research methods. Then I'll learn them. More relaxed about this as I only need a C to get an A overall.

Well both I'm repeating one as unit and have 2 a2 units, need to get an a in at least two papers to get an a overall so quite stressed. My teachers are not very helpful as they just read from the text book, and don't give us many resources. But it isn't the content I find hard but the way to write It so it is obvious I am evaluating?
Reply 9
Original post by Student221
Well both I'm repeating one as unit and have 2 a2 units, need to get an a in at least two papers to get an a overall so quite stressed. My teachers are not very helpful as they just read from the text book, and don't give us many resources. But it isn't the content I find hard but the way to write It so it is obvious I am evaluating?

What did you get previously in the unit you're resitting?
Also if you're fine with the content do you do past papers and look at the markschemes carefully. Many marks are for elaboration too, so you need to elaborate a lot in your answers
Reply 10
A2 essays are different compare to AS, in a2 its important that you use evidence to support what the question is asking for and use evidence against it too, Also it is important that you bring in the debates and use them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending