The Student Room Group

Keeping away the Acne and Spots!

Now this is a topic I think all teenagers can relate to, Obviously! But as a person I've never really developed spots and acne as much as some people.

Personally I've just thrown on whatever is in the house excluding bleach and washing up liquid on spots whenever they pop up and I've noticed them pop up more and more.

I've been using Clearasil cleansing wash and when I stopped using it (Out of the fact that the thrill of using something new started to run dry) I noticed them pop up again.

Is there any products you find work particularly well from experience? :troll:
Reply 1
Hi I use to use clearisil and I honestly think they have chemicals in there so you have to keep using it cause as soon as I stopped I had even worse than before! Try looking for a really simple face wash with nothing harsh on the skin and soap free. Possibly ask your doctor for some acne treatment cream? If they prescribe you benzoyl peroxide look into it first as it can make your skin very very dry, I only use it occasionally.
Reply 2
I always found that brands like Clearasil, OXY, Clean&Clear etc etc actually aggravated my skin more. Products that aren't loaded with perfumes and rubbish like Simple have usually been my best bet in treating spotty skin. As for the occasional spot, I find dabbing tea tree oil on them works well.

(My skin was actually at its best when I used the Clinique Anti-Blemish range but unfortunately my student budget no longer stretches to that!)
I use Simple Kind to Skin Moisturising Facial Wash :smile: I used to go overboard on face wash but I'm using a lot less now, I do get the occasional spot on my chin though, but nothing too dramatic
Reply 4

Original post by Lixe
Now this is a topic I think all teenagers can relate to, Obviously! But as a person I've never really developed spots and acne as much as some people.

Personally I've just thrown on whatever is in the house excluding bleach and washing up liquid on spots whenever they pop up and I've noticed them pop up more and more.

I've been using Clearasil cleansing wash and when I stopped using it (Out of the fact that the thrill of using something new started to run dry) I noticed them pop up again.

Is there any products you find work particularly well from experience? :troll:

Number 1
Do not touch your face except when you wash it. Application of creams involves touching, which spreads the spots about.
Number 2
Drink cabbage water.
Number 3
Abstain from eating processed foods rich in saturated fats. Instead eat loads of fruit and veg and nuts. Crisps and takeaways are asking for a pus face.

Simples.
Spots:
1) Don't cover with make up (I know it's hard, but it actually extends the time of the spot on your face)
2) Tie hair back to stop the spots from spreading across the face via your hair touching it and then touching other parts of your face (I know this sounds odd but it's true)
3) Wipe your phone, you might have a lot of oil on the phone from using it which has transferred to your face when you make calls and thus causing breakouts
4) Don't sleep on your side (again this is because you're more likely to get spots on one side of your face only)
5) Tea Tree Oil on spots - this works it's wonders and helps things clear up

6) Cleanse daily and scrub around 2 times a week - different products work for different people
I use the Seaweed Range from The Body Shop (combination skin)
Follow up with moisturiser - I use Garnier gel creams here as it's best for combination skin
(You could use toner - for this I have Simple - before moisturising but sometimes I skip it because I don't have time)

Clean your face every evening at least - and morning when your spots are particularly bad

Masks - once a week is usually enough: I tend to use Tea Tree Mask from The Body Shop. It does help but obviously, it's not magic. The Seaweed Clay Mask is also very good at lifting out dirt from the skin. I alternate between the two every other week.

Lastly, drink lots of Green Tea - it is great for clearing your system of unwanted stuff :wink:

edit: you sound like the person who, when using products, actually worsens the spots - if so, leave it and don't do anything to it and go completely natural for what you use on your skin. Stick to fresh and natural soaps for the skin, and find a simple moisturiser (The Body Shop could be a place to go, or visit Boots and find something that says "natural ingredients"). I certainly know people who have the simplest routines for skincare and have wonderful skin so it's not all about buying spot treatment products. They do help, but if your skin just reacts with the chemicals, then there is no point in wasting your money and time in trying them out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah green tea does work really well. Also drinking lots of water, eating fruit and veg and exercise. I use a range called Aknicare and its worked wonders for my skin. Unfortunately, it did take a few weeks to see an improvement but now I cant live without it.
I've struggled with my skin for years, and now I've finally got it almost perfect. I know that my cleansing routines really do work, because when I stop them, spots start to pop up and my skin gets ridiculously gross.

I have three face washes that I use. I alternate between three, and wash my face every morning and every night.

1. Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Cleansing Foam. They also do a gel which I feel is more effective, but at the moment I am using the foam. I use this stuff at least once a day. You can really feel the difference once you have used it.

2. Soap and Glory Face Soap. This one is a bit more gentle than the Clinique foam. I can still feel that it cleans my face well, and leaves my skin feeling fresh. I massage this into my skin which creates a foam, it has bits in as well.

3. Botanics Enlivening Body Polish (from Boots). This isn't actually meant for the face. I do use this all over the body, but sometimes I use it on my face. You have to be quite gentle because it's got some quite rough bits in but that's what I feel cleans the face well. I know that you can get Botanics stuff especially for the face so maybe that's worth looking into. When my body polish runs out then I'll definitely get something meant for the face.

Once I have used the face wash, I then use a cleanser. Again, both morning and night.

1. Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Clarifying Lotion. I use this everyday. It works especially well with the Clinique face foam I mentioned. I really cannot tell you how good this stuff is. I know that some people haven't gotten on so well with this product as it can be quite harsh on the face using it a few times a day everyday. But it really does the job well for me. I guess it's all about finding what's best for you because what works on one person. might not work on another. It has taken me years to discover what works for me!

2. T-Zone Shine Control Cleansing Wipes. Sometimes I try and give my skin a break from the Clinique clarifying lotion so I use these wipes. They really make me face feel clean and since I have been using these my skin hasn't worsened.

You then need a moisturiser. Don't worry about moisturiser making your skin worse. As long as you get a non-oily one it will be fine. After putting all these chemicals and products onto your face, drying your skin out, you need to make sure you keep it well moisturised. You might have to experiment and use a few before you get the right one for you.

I used to use the Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Clearing Moisturiser. But as I was already buying two other Clinique products it was working out quite pricey for me so I stopped buying this. If I had the money I would still use this, but I am a poor student.
Most days I use moisturising make-up products. I won't go into detail because I think you are male lol so won't be interested, but if anyone wants to know what I recommend then let me know!

The other moisturiser I use is Johnson's Baby Lotion. You can get this from anywhere really, I got mine from Asda. It makes my face feel really soft!

Other products I have used are Sudocrem and Savlon. I prefer Savlon but Sudocream also works just as well. Whenever I get a spot (or a cut or anything) I whack on a bit of Savlon and it disappears/heals so quickly!

Also make sure you keep yourself hydrated throughout the day and drink plenty of water. Make sure you eat enough fruit and veg because this really does affect your skin, as does exercise. Also Green tea works well - drinking it and applying it to you face. I drink the tea, and then save the teabag and squeeze it onto some cotton wool and wipe it all over my face! It's great! I used to use vinegar - this really does work! But don't use any old cheap vinegar.

That was quite an essay! Hope I helped though!
I use Quinoderm when the occasional one pops up. Works a wonder, usually gone by the next day :smile:
I never had acne but to stop the odd breakout, The Body Shop Seaweed range of Deep Facial Wash and Toner are extremely effective. (They're for oily/combo skin)
However, I neglected to moisturise with the same brand and so my skin got pretty dry; so moisturising is also essential even if you have oily skin! :smile:
I've had acne since I was 10... :frown:
It was quite bad when I was 10, I went to the doctor and was given some contraceptives... Which didn't work and I regret taking them.
I've been taking antibiotics (tetralysal) and Duac gel for a month and a half now... and it's worked quite well :smile: I think I've only got about 4-6 new spots since I started, so it's pretty good :smile: (for me at least :tongue:)
Also, exercise helps quite a lot, and drinking a lot of water.
Hi, guys I've given up with spot treatments, I have spots all the time, but they're not just on my face, they appear on my shoulders, back and bizarrely I've even had them on my bottom. I've tried so many treatments but I'm also quite lazy so I probably don't help matters. I've noticed that my spots are intune to my moods, when I'm stressed, I have lots. I'm just hoping they will go in a couple of years, I'm 17 now, I can hope anyway.
I felt an alteration of my diet helped much more than any cosmetic product: especially over the counter products.
I struggled with bad skin for ages! 16-21
At the moment I'm seeing an improvement after being prescribed the stronger contraceptive pill (think its called dianette but my packet says co cyprindiol)
I've done all the clearasil/clean and clear/neutrogena/garnier etc etc.
My recommendations after all my testing is:

clinique anti blemish toner is really good, you shake it to get it cloudy with all the bacteria killing stuff. I think it does contain alcohol and you can feel a little tight and dry afterwards but you can simply moisturise.

2 in 1 facewash and mask by neutrogena. Its like a clay wash/mask. Skin feels so clean and soft afterwards.

Sudrocrem. Genius stuff! I tend to apply a fingerful to each spot before bed when i have time/remember.

As for moisturiser, I'm not fussy, I don't look for special acne ones as I find them too thin and light. Equally I don't go looking for heavy thick ones but somewhere in the middle!
I love Pond's hydroquench (think its called that)
and 24 hr moisture from Johnsons.

Good luck everyone, don't let it get you down!
Original post by StartSomething
I've struggled with my skin for years, and now I've finally got it almost perfect. I know that my cleansing routines really do work, because when I stop them, spots start to pop up and my skin gets ridiculously gross.

I have three face washes that I use. I alternate between three, and wash my face every morning and every night.

1. Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Cleansing Foam. They also do a gel which I feel is more effective, but at the moment I am using the foam. I use this stuff at least once a day. You can really feel the difference once you have used it.

2. Soap and Glory Face Soap. This one is a bit more gentle than the Clinique foam. I can still feel that it cleans my face well, and leaves my skin feeling fresh. I massage this into my skin which creates a foam, it has bits in as well.

3. Botanics Enlivening Body Polish (from Boots). This isn't actually meant for the face. I do use this all over the body, but sometimes I use it on my face. You have to be quite gentle because it's got some quite rough bits in but that's what I feel cleans the face well. I know that you can get Botanics stuff especially for the face so maybe that's worth looking into. When my body polish runs out then I'll definitely get something meant for the face.

Once I have used the face wash, I then use a cleanser. Again, both morning and night.

1. Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Clarifying Lotion. I use this everyday. It works especially well with the Clinique face foam I mentioned. I really cannot tell you how good this stuff is. I know that some people haven't gotten on so well with this product as it can be quite harsh on the face using it a few times a day everyday. But it really does the job well for me. I guess it's all about finding what's best for you because what works on one person. might not work on another. It has taken me years to discover what works for me!

2. T-Zone Shine Control Cleansing Wipes. Sometimes I try and give my skin a break from the Clinique clarifying lotion so I use these wipes. They really make me face feel clean and since I have been using these my skin hasn't worsened.

You then need a moisturiser. Don't worry about moisturiser making your skin worse. As long as you get a non-oily one it will be fine. After putting all these chemicals and products onto your face, drying your skin out, you need to make sure you keep it well moisturised. You might have to experiment and use a few before you get the right one for you.

I used to use the Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Clearing Moisturiser. But as I was already buying two other Clinique products it was working out quite pricey for me so I stopped buying this. If I had the money I would still use this, but I am a poor student.
Most days I use moisturising make-up products. I won't go into detail because I think you are male lol so won't be interested, but if anyone wants to know what I recommend then let me know!

The other moisturiser I use is Johnson's Baby Lotion. You can get this from anywhere really, I got mine from Asda. It makes my face feel really soft!

Other products I have used are Sudocrem and Savlon. I prefer Savlon but Sudocream also works just as well. Whenever I get a spot (or a cut or anything) I whack on a bit of Savlon and it disappears/heals so quickly!

Also make sure you keep yourself hydrated throughout the day and drink plenty of water. Make sure you eat enough fruit and veg because this really does affect your skin, as does exercise. Also Green tea works well - drinking it and applying it to you face. I drink the tea, and then save the teabag and squeeze it onto some cotton wool and wipe it all over my face! It's great! I used to use vinegar - this really does work! But don't use any old cheap vinegar.

That was quite an essay! Hope I helped though!

Hey i found this really useful, would you mind telling me what moisturiser you use? and what skin type do you have? thanks :smile:X
Original post by GildedButterfly
Hey i found this really useful, would you mind telling me what moisturiser you use? and what skin type do you have? thanks :smile:X

At the moment I use Johnson's baby lotion because it's cheap and it works just as well as other expensive products out there.
I have combination skin and it goes through phases - I have an oily t zone, but then my whole face gets dry if I don't moisturise.
Reply 16
I haven't personally used this, but I've heard nothing but great things about ponds cold cream cleanser. It's cheap, and supposedly good for skin that has been overcleansed in the past.
I think you can get it from boots for around £5 a pot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending