The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super Mario 64
How many sources has everyone used on their essay project?

I've used 22 in the 5000 word total. Is this enough, or does it even matter how many I use anyway? :s

I used 28 sources so you should be alright.

Anyone know where to find an example of the presentation? Not sure how I am going to fit all my content and learning process into 5 minutes. Feels a little impossible
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2641
Original post by Silverland
I've been reading "The poison paradox" by John Timbrell.
A great pharmacology book with some excellent case study information (from thalidomide to paracetamol and alcohol and then to more conventional killer substances like Arsenic and Cyanide) explanations on how poisons work. A bit more on the toxicology side, but still great at detailing how certain substances react with the body and become poisonous (I found the parts on anti-freeze particularly interesting) and provides some nice insight into chemical-body reactions of pharmacology.

I may just have to get a copy of that book too lol :biggrin: That does sound really interesting even if it is more about toxicology... And I was also looking into synthetic biology as this is a new and upcoming research area as it has been on alot in the news so I didnt know whether to maybe consider doing that instead?!?!? There are sooo many topics to choose from that would be interesting to research, I dont know how I am goin to pick one now?!?!? lol Thanks for your help :biggrin:
My entire project has to be in on Friday. I need to fill in all the logs on Vista, and actually finish the essay- not to mention I haven't been filling in my project log! I'm so stressed and I hate it so much, but I just need to get it done!
Hi guys,
I'm going to apply for Medicine in 2013 but I really don't want to do a EPQ based entirely on the NHS or anything on immunology/pathology, just because I won't be motivated and I've noticed a lot of applicants doing it. My EPQ is going to be based on Medicine evolving throughout the ages. By that I mean, discussing the influence of certain civilisations on Medicine and how it's practised today. Do you think this would be a good and original idea?
(edited 12 years ago)
EPQ presentation done and dusted :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Pensivedore
My entire project has to be in on Friday. I need to fill in all the logs on Vista, and actually finish the essay- not to mention I haven't been filling in my project log! I'm so stressed and I hate it so much, but I just need to get it done!

Good luck!! :hugs: I've got until after Easter to sort it all out :P

Original post by HeavyTeddy
Hi guys,
I'm going to apply for Medicine in 2013 but I really don't want to do a EPQ based entirely on the NHS or anything on immunology/pathology, just because I won't be motivated and I've noticed a lot of applicants doing it. My EPQ is going to be based on Medicine evolving throughout the ages. By that I mean, discussing the influence of certain civilisations on Medicine and how it's practised today. Do you think this would be a good and original idea?

Sounds good :biggrin:
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Hi guys,

sounds fine and original, but make sure you can still put some evaluation in rather than just analysis or description to ensure you hit the top marks
I'm going to start a project shortly writing a program to crack the basic National Cipher Challenge codes. I want do a very computer-y based project, so if anyone has any better ideas? :smile:
hi guys, can anyone tell me what you should write in the research review section of the epq??? totally confused about it.
Hey guys, I really need some help right now. My EPQ is due in tomorrow (or today, whichever way you want to look at it) but I haven't finished it. I was wondering when it is the centres actually have to send it? Because I know that I can do it during the Easter and improve it to get a better grade than what it seems like I will get at the moment, but I'm just wondering if getting an extension will be a good idea. Thanks.
Original post by Pensivedore
Hey guys, I really need some help right now. My EPQ is due in tomorrow (or today, whichever way you want to look at it) but I haven't finished it. I was wondering when it is the centres actually have to send it? Because I know that I can do it during the Easter and improve it to get a better grade than what it seems like I will get at the moment, but I'm just wondering if getting an extension will be a good idea. Thanks.

I know my reply is a bit late but your centre won't have to sent it off until around the start of May. We are allowed to change bits over the holidays, and we aren't doing our presentations until the week after we get back so the exam boards obviously don't need it until a few weeks after that.
Reply 2651
I put my topic down today -

''To what extent is Epileptic seizure the result of visual stimuli''
I'm interested in 80's (Thatcher's) politics & economics, and how it has affected Britain. Could you please suggest some good research titles for me to delve into.

THANK YOU!

<3 x

EDIT: Why the negs? I'm doing this specific subject because it's a point of contention. Which is the whole point of an EPQ. No?
(edited 12 years ago)
^you could try comping thatcher to another prime minister, party leader or ruler of another country.

Comparing and "to what extent" questions are quite nice because they give you the chance to get some good evaluation in to reach the higher marks
Original post by JadeVictoria
I know my reply is a bit late but your centre won't have to sent it off until around the start of May. We are allowed to change bits over the holidays, and we aren't doing our presentations until the week after we get back so the exam boards obviously don't need it until a few weeks after that.

Hey! Thanks for your reply. My supervisor has given me until the end of Easter holidays now to complete my essay and everything. So happy about this!
Hey, I'm thinking about doing mine around the area of the Labour Party - perhaps about why it was formed or maybe about the creation of the welfare state but I'm not really sure what my title should be. Any ideas?
OMG my extended project is complete!!
I hope all the hard work will pay off. Fingers crossed!!
Finished at last :P

I hope it gets an A*

...oh who am i kidding? I know it'll get an A*
Original post by ruairidh64
Hey, I'm thinking about doing mine around the area of the Labour Party - perhaps about why it was formed or maybe about the creation of the welfare state but I'm not really sure what my title should be. Any ideas?

To what extent has the welfare state been eroded since it's creation in 1945?

..could work out well, especially with all the reforms surrounding the NHS recently
What a relief to have finally finished. I hope now that I get a decent grade because I put so much work into it.
What time of the year were you guys entered for the EPQ? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending