The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2860
Is that where you are/were? I've heard people moaning saying it's too far from campus and too small with antisocial people etc but it's only practically across the road! I thinkit will be a good choice :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by jake862
Is that where you are/were? I've heard people moaning saying it's too far from campus and too small with antisocial people etc but it's only practically across the road! I thinkit will be a good choice :smile:

the village definitley isn't too far from campus, and as far as whether or not its antisocial is that it depends on the people- any hall could be antisocial. The good thing about the village is that the flat doors are unlocked, so you can wonder into other flats in your block to say hi to people in freshers.
I'm wondering if they'll let me live at home, I'm about 44 miles away and with a PGCE won't be there every single day of the week anyway so it might be cheaper to live at home and have a car anyway seeing as I'll need a car regardless for placements
Reply 2863
Original post by robo donkey
I'm wondering if they'll let me live at home, I'm about 44 miles away and with a PGCE won't be there every single day of the week anyway so it might be cheaper to live at home and have a car anyway seeing as I'll need a car regardless for placements

You have to get permission from the uni to live that far away on a PGCE. You can contact them by email and they will be able to sort it/put you in contact with the correct person.

Obviously it will depend- they're gonna want to be sure you understand the extra time and financial commitments of commuting from that distance to the uni. On top of that they need to be sure about placements- if your placement was another 40 miles in the other direction it will be a really long journey just to get there and back every day.

If you're looking for somewhere to live in Norwich btw, it might be worth having a look on the PGCE 2012 thread in this UEA forum, there are quite a few people there discussing living arrangements and stuff :smile:

xxx
I'll look that way, thanks, just worrying a lot, I've not a lot of money so basically have my bursary and maintenance grant to live off for the year so a car + petrol + insurance + house etc will be soooo expensive :frown:
Original post by jelly1000
the village definitley isn't too far from campus, and as far as whether or not its antisocial is that it depends on the people- any hall could be antisocial. The good thing about the village is that the flat doors are unlocked, so you can wonder into other flats in your block to say hi to people in freshers.

We do have the option of locking our flat doors, we just choose not to :tongue:
Original post by Hazular
We do have the option of locking our flat doors, we just choose not to :tongue:

the point is though your flat doors can be left unlocked- ours lock automatically behind us
Another villager here! I decided in the end that a slightly bigger room wasn't worth the extra money - more space will just tempt me into making more mess haha - and that the village was a nice compromise between a premium single and premium ensuite. Praying I get a social flat now, as my flatmates at uni last year were really quiet and I hardly ever saw them!
i wanna go for a shared kitchen and a shared shower. Norfolk/Suffolk terrace perhaps?

are there any other accommodation (apart from norfolk/suffolk terrace) where i can get this criteria?

EDIT : I'm gonna put down norfolk/suffolk terrace. The view :sogood: at the broad is stunning.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StefanieLouise
Another villager here! I decided in the end that a slightly bigger room wasn't worth the extra money - more space will just tempt me into making more mess haha - and that the village was a nice compromise between a premium single and premium ensuite. Praying I get a social flat now, as my flatmates at uni last year were really quiet and I hardly ever saw them!

I know in the smaller houses in the village (everything but Courtyard A/B...so basically the trees), they tend to get to know people in all the other flats in their building, as there are only around 4/6 flats of 8 people in the whole building. In the CY it's a bit different as you have blocks of flats, within the building.

Original post by James A
i wanna go for a shared kitchen and a shared shower. Norfolk/Suffolk terrace perhaps?

are there any other accommodation (apart from norfolk/suffolk terrace) where i can get this criteria?

EDIT : I'm gonna put down norfolk/suffolk terrace. The view :sogood: at the broad is stunning.

There's Orwell and Wolfson close (which ever one is dedicated to UG), except you don't get a sink in your room. There's also Mary Chapman Court, which doesn't have a sink either, but does have a bath!

Very true about the broad though, spent the last few weeks having practicals out there in the mornings :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UEAAccommodation

From the website for the village:
'Every Ensuite room comes with its own shower pod that is serviced twice a week by our accommodation cleaning staff.'
Should that be once a week? (or my cleaner has been hiding from me on the second day all year!)

ooo also reminds me, in the email we got about when our contracts ending, it says we have to be out by 10am on that saturday.
The thing is my sister/mum wouldn't be able to get there before 10. I'd have everything packed up way before time, so it would be a case of just shoving it in the car (and hoping it all fits). Last saturday they got to Norwich just after 11 (they left home at 7) but they wouldn't be able to leave home any earlier than that. I was just wondering if the time's a bit flexible?

I would be out a lot earlier but my exams don't finish until the 6th and my sister's busy that following weekend so I have no ride until literally the last day :tongue:
Original post by makingamemory
I know in the smaller houses in the village (everything but Courtyard A/B...so basically the trees), they tend to get to know people in all the other flats in their building, as there are only around 4/6 flats of 8 people in the whole building. In the CY it's a bit different as you have blocks of flats, within the building.

Whichever I end up in, that seems fine to me. I'm looking forward to being at a proper campus uni, but I also like how the village is slightly separated and seems quite cosy and close. I might be totally wrong of course but in my accommodation at Liverpool, I was in a building with 1000+ people and it felt so impersonal, more like a hotel than my home.
Whichever I end up in, that seems fine to me. I'm looking forward to being at a proper campus uni, but I also like how the village is slightly separated and seems quite cosy and close. I might be totally wrong of course but in my accommodation at Liverpool, I was in a building with 1000+ people and it felt so impersonal, more like a hotel than my home.

No you're right it is cosy. I know what you mean my best friend goes to Warwick and he told me he has 25+ people on his floor and they all share the same kitchen/bathroom and my mind was blown because I was thinking 14 people in NT/ST was a large number lol.
Question, in the T&C prohibited items include electrical items (15.1) .. does this include musical instruments ie. an electric piano?
what's the chances of getting your first choice? i really want the village, would hate to get norfolk/suffolk, they will be my last choice.
Original post by lorrabell
what's the chances of getting your first choice? i really want the village, would hate to get norfolk/suffolk, they will be my last choice.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times that something like 70% get their first choice and 90% get one of their top three, so make sure you put serious thought into what your second and third choices are. I've put the village as my first choice too, I'm not sure how they allocate accommodation yet but I reallllllllly want the village too!:colondollar:
I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times that something like 70% get their first choice and 90% get one of their top three, so make sure you put serious thought into what your second and third choices are. I've put the village as my first choice too, I'm not sure how they allocate accommodation yet but I reallllllllly want the village too!:colondollar:

2nd and 3rd are both ensuite too, seems lke people want norfolk/suffolk as they cheaper so hope that goes in our favour
Reply 2877
Hello,

I have been offered a place at MSC Marketing for this fall and now I'm looking into suitable accommodations. In regards to this, I would like to ask about whether living in residence halls or private accommodations are better? I'm looking for the cheapest en-suite facilities as possible.

Thanks a lot in advance and I apologize if this has been posted before.
Original post by lorrabell
2nd and 3rd are both ensuite too, seems lke people want norfolk/suffolk as they cheaper so hope that goes in our favour

I didn't realise there were three ensuite options? Unless you've put down one of the premier accommodation options, or the two bedroom shared flat - which doesn't sound too bad I guess, I was just worried I wouldn't get on with the one person I was sharing with. Norfolk/Suffolk are my second choice actually as I didn't want to be spending the extra money to just get a slightly bigger bedroom.
Are there any problems with the premium ensuite rooms? Haven't really saw many people mentioning them?
I would like ensuite though. Is the village better or worse?

Latest