The Student Room Group

Spilt water on my laptop....

So have a bit of an issue! I spilt water on my macbook pro a few days ago and now a bunch of the keys on the right hand side are no longer working. I can get it fixed under my cover plan, but if I send it off it can take 3 weeks which is pretty inconvinient as it's essay season for me right now. Can I buy a regular keyboard for it and plug it in? Will that work? Also because the sound controls on the board are damaged too will the keyboard apply to them?
Reply 1
put it in rice
Reply 2
An external USB keyboard should work, yup.

I would recommend sending it off as soon as possible though. If the water is just sitting in the casing, when the laptop get warms it will evaporate and cannot escape. Then at night when the laptop's switched off the water will condense again and could potentially do more harm. The chances of that happening are slim but who wants to risk it with a nice bit of kit like a MacBook Pro?
Reply 3
Now if you had put super glue all over your keys, then none of this would have happened as no water will seep through.
Reply 4
But yeah u can buy an external keyboard, dont know bout the sound though, it should work, or just change it from your software. :smile:
Original post by pshewitt1
put it in rice

Proper lol'd. Comment of the day.
Reply 6
Original post by ritchie888

What's so funny? :tongue: It works with phones so I'd say it's worth a shot!

EDIT: Then again it happened a few days ago and it's been used since so maybe it wouldn't have much of a chance :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tillytots
So have a bit of an issue! I spilt water on my macbook pro a few days ago and now a bunch of the keys on the right hand side are no longer working. I can get it fixed under my cover plan, but if I send it off it can take 3 weeks which is pretty inconvinient as it's essay season for me right now. Can I buy a regular keyboard for it and plug it in? Will that work? Also because the sound controls on the board are damaged too will the keyboard apply to them?

Do you have an airing cupboard? I threw a nice big cup of tea over my laptop a few years back and it died there and then.
I stuck it in an airing cupboard as a 'last resort' type thing and it brought it back to life. I'm typing this advice to you, on it now! :biggrin:
I spilt vodka on mine a few weeks ago and managed to google a replacement laptop keyboard; dunno if mac keyboards come out though.

It is sound advice,
put wet gadgets in rice,
for it absorbs plenty water,
does less damage than it ought to.
Reply 10
Just dry under a fan or something. Dont put it in the sun though.
Reply 11
Original post by Bromine
What's so funny? :tongue: It works with phones so I'd say it's worth a shot!

EDIT: Then again it happened a few days ago and it's been used since so maybe it wouldn't have much of a chance :redface:

Serious? How does that work then? Curious :smile:
Original post by mikeyd85
It is sound advice,
put wet gadgets in rice,
for it absorbs plenty water,
does less damage than it ought to.

I know the method. I was lol'ing at the fact that you'd have to get a **** load of rice to be able to submerge it, though.

Although, that being said, 9/10 times the rice method doesn't actually work, and for it to actually work, phones or laptops alike, you'd have to turn it off fast, get the battery out, and then put it in the rice for a long period, talking two days or so.
Rice is not a good idea, get bits stuck everywhere! Stick it somewhere warm but out of the sun, like an airing cupboard.
My friend has a Macbook Pro and uses an external keyboard so it is possible if you want to do that.

Put it in the airing cupboard maybe, but I'd really recommend sending it off to be fixed before it's too late.
This. :rofl2:
rice sucks out the moisure, had to do this when i soaked my ipod nano, brought it back to life thank god, but why not get a mac keyboard? that would have all the buttons your used to, failing that many cheap external windows/mac keyboards have multimedia buttons like volume etc
Should work fine, back up your files now though, liquid damage can take time. I know people who got things wet, dried it, it worked for a few weeks then broke (due to not drying properly and it corroding. I'd double check you are covered for liquid damage, back up everything and save current stuff to a flash drive as well as the HDD. If the mac broke the HDD would most like be fine (presuming it wasn't affected). However you then need to pull the drive and get another system to recover your stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending