The Student Room Group

Erratic weather, shifted seasons - is this all down to global warming?

i dont know about you but i dont think we have had a proper summer in the UK since 2006, when it was sunny and hot weather from around may through to september (how it should be). since then the seasons have shifted and weather is so erratic and volatile its unbelievable! currently we have snow, snowy showers and winter temperatures whereas less than a week ago, it was nice summer weather. this is all when it should be spring weather. since 2006, we seem to get hot weather between march and june (everyone is revising for exams or doing exams). then by july it turns to autumn weather just in time for the summer holiday. we seem to get a brief hot spell (lasting about a week or two) in early october then in recent years, we get heavy snow as early as november or as late as march.

is it all due to global warming? i heard before that the winds bringing hot air from the caribbean had shifted upwards in recent years but it would go back to normality soon and we would have summers as we used to. but that hasnt happened. are we destined for erratic weather and shifted seasons forever more?

Scroll to see replies

Summer of 2009 was bloody boiling - I walked the 6 miles to work through the fields almost every shift.
Reply 2
Original post by marcusmerehay
Summer of 2009 was bloody boiling - I walked the 6 miles to work through the fields almost every shift.

I travelled 10 miles across fields of nettles on my knees for every shift.
It's snowing so much where I am ... bye bye sunshine :sad:
Reply 4
No doubt it has affected weather patterns, but in the greater scheme of things a 5-year time period is very small. To say that the weather in the past 5 years is down solely to global warming is difficult to say, but I think it's a mixture of global warming and naturally changing weather patterns. No doubt global warming is now unequivocal.
Reply 5
Original post by marcusmerehay

you missed the point entirely. yes it was boiling but my point is it happened april-june. july onwards was autumn weather (or atleast i dont remember any hot weather for those months). we had a brief hot spell at the beginning of october.

have seasons shifted? should summer now be march-june time and summer holidays and exams adjusted?
Reply 6
It really is impossible to tell, you'll only see significant, meaningful results in annual weather patterns if you analyse data over decades or even centuries. Weather is one of the most chaotic and complex systems on Earth, and it's more or less impossible to say what triggers the fronts and pressure systems that are responsible for the weather we've been seeing recently. It's quite widely accepted that global warming will create more erratic and strange weather, but you cannot attribute global warming to the weather on one particular week.
Reply 7
End of the world?
Original post by lukas1051
It really is impossible to tell, you'll only see significant, meaningful results in annual weather patterns if you analyse data over decades or even centuries. Weather is one of the most chaotic and complex systems on Earth, and it's more or less impossible to say what triggers the fronts and pressure systems that are responsible for the weather we've been seeing recently. It's quite widely accepted that global warming will create more erratic and strange weather, but you cannot attribute global warming to the weather on one particular week.

This^^^^
Reply 9
Nothing new about erratic weather in the UK; this has all happened before, I'm sure.
Besides, global warming or not, the Earth goes through periods of change; fluctuations of temperatures, change in weather patterns, ice ages etc.
Original post by Pitt1988
Besides, global warming or not, the Earth goes through periods of change; fluctuations of temperatures, change in weather patterns, ice ages etc.

While true I seem to remember reading that the speed of change that's occurred over the past century is becoming less and less likely to be natural.
Or it could be because we're in the UK which has weather which is so easily effected by a number of winds etc..
Reply 12
They are saying the Gulf Stream is being disrupted due to melting ice from the Arctic, which explains the cold weather in the UK..... but again weather is very complex
Reply 13
Answer - No. Global warming is a myth.
Original post by shezshez

Wrong, global warming is happening there is absolutely no doubt about this. The argument may conclude that it is either man made or part of a natural process, but either way global warming is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 15
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Wrong, global warming is happening there is absolutely no doubt about this. The argument may conclude that it is either man made or part of a natural process, but either way global warming is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.spaceandscience.net/id16.html
Original post by Movember
you missed the point entirely. yes it was boiling but my point is it happened april-june. july onwards was autumn weather (or atleast i dont remember any hot weather for those months). we had a brief hot spell at the beginning of october.

have seasons shifted? should summer now be march-june time and summer holidays and exams adjusted?

I haven't missed the point - that whole Summer was very, very warm bar a couple of very rainy days.
Reply 17
Original post by shezshez

incorrect... There's argument about whether it's down to human causes though.
Anyway can't say... Cricket matches were getting snowed off in june in the 70s. No one had heard of global warming, in fact people were worried about global cooling for a few years. It's not a long time ago in terms of climate. As humans we generally tend to attach too much significance to very recent events, which is why we need to be methodical and 'scientific' when looking at stuff in order to work out the trend from the noise.
Reply 18
Original post by Movember

No season's haven't shifted. They constantly change as it were. You're just looking for absolute patterns which don't exist, and when they haven't occurred as you expected, something is drastically wrong.

Also your point about the summer holidays and exam times changing? Why? They're completely arbitrary anyway.
Reply 19
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn

lol, Wikipedia.

great troll.

Quick Reply

Latest