The Student Room Group

How to get an A in GCSE English Literature.

English Lit (and Language but I can't change that now) is my only B subject along with French and this Summer I'm sitting exams on Unseen poetry, mice and men and conflict poems.

What advice would you give to get an A in this exam? Thank you.
PQE/C!

That's the golden rule: Make a point, find a quote to back up that point, explain and comment on how the relationship between your point and quote and what your findings are.

Dare I say it's as simple as that. If you've read the book and are aware of the themes explored (SparksNotes will help), then all that's stopping you from getting an A is content analysis. I got an A for Lit and I bull****ted my way through :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Id and Ego seek
PQE/C!

That's the golden rule: Make a point, find a quote to back up that point, explain and comment on how the relationship between your point and quote and what your findings are.

Dare I say it's as simple as that. If you've read the book and are aware of the themes explored (SparksNotes will help), then all that's stopping you from getting an A is content analysis. I got an A for Lit and I bull****ted my way through :teehee:

By the 'comment' part do you mean give your personal interpretation of it, to make the answer unique?
Reply 3
Original post by Id and Ego seek
PQE/C!

I would also like to know what sort of things you should comment on and what you mean by 'your findings.'
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
By the 'comment' part do you mean give your personal interpretation of it, to make the answer unique?

Funny I forgot to mention that as that's what gave me the highest marks on practice papers... After you've made sure you have explained why you've used that quote to back up that point and what that quote shows in relation to the theme (question). After that, do give a personal interpretation.
Reply 5
Make your point, explain it in detail refering to techniques used to covey a message and always mention your opinion.
I made a brainstorm of different themes that may come up, and managed to figure out what they haven't asked about the book I did.
Only analyse 3 or 4 points in detail, and always mention the effect techniques used have, and underlying meanings. Use quotes, and ask your teacher for sample essays - that defo helps, to look at.Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending