The Student Room Group

Erratic weather, shifted seasons - is this all down to global warming?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Chemtrails....

:tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by Joinedup
incorrect... There's argument about whether it's down to human causes though.
Anyway can't say... Cricket matches were getting snowed off in june in the 70s. No one had heard of global warming, in fact people were worried about global cooling for a few years. It's not a long time ago in terms of climate. As humans we generally tend to attach too much significance to very recent events, which is why we need to be methodical and 'scientific' when looking at stuff in order to work out the trend from the noise.

Correct - that one cricket match that was snowed off was in my hometown. I'm not even convinced global warming is happening. They're has been a minuscule rise in average temperature across the globe over the past few decades. This can't surely constitute the phenomenon of global warming as many people think it does though.

The Earth has always been changing with temperatures very high, and very low. It all depends which articles you read and whether you want to make a logical well informed argument, or if you want to believe the nonsense spoonfed material school 'teaches' you.
Reply 22
Getting negged for having an opinion which hasn't been spoon-fed to me. Thanks bro.
Original post by Dorito
lol, Wikipedia.

great troll.

What the hell do you mean troll! All the stuff in wiki is cited by research which you can easily click and view to verify the validity of it. You can huff and puff all you want and call troll all you want but the facts are there!
Original post by shezshez
It all depends which articles you read and whether you want to make a logical well informed argument, or if you want to believe the nonsense spoonfed material school 'teaches' you.

I don't think it's merely a case of schoolchildren repeating what they were taught in school, the vast majority of respected accredited climate scientists agree that global warming is happening, based on years of intensive research. The only people who deny global warming are politicians, because it is in their best interest financially to do so.
Reply 25
Whilst this may be true. No-one has proved global warming is happening. Therefore we're all entitled to opposing viewpoints.

What I meant was, most of the people arguing for global warming won't know anything about it except the stuff that is taught in schools. Very few, if any of them would have looked at the research of accredited scientists or the arguments against global warming, so in that sense many people are just regurgitating nonsense they were taught in year 9 science.
Reply 26
We can't prove whether Global Warming is or is not happening, Global Warming is basically just the correlation between the weather/temperature and the amount of greenhouse gases/C02 in the atmosphere. Just because there is a correlation doesn't neccessarily mean that we are causing global warming or that it exists, HOWEVER the evidence to suggest there is global warming and that we are causing it is so overwhelming that there isn't much point debating it. Global warming is happening.
Reply 27
Temperatures are falling, not rising
As Christopher Booker says in his review of 2008, temperatures have been dropping in a wholly unpredicted way over the past year. Last winter, the northern hemisphere saw its greatest snow cover since 1966, which in the northern US states and Canada was dubbed the "winter from hell". This winter looks set to be even worse.
The earth was hotter 1,000 years ago
Evidence from all over the world indicates that the earth was hotter 1,000 years ago than it is today. Research shows that temperatures were higher in what is known as the Mediaeval Warming period than they were in the 1990s.

Ice is not disappearing
Arctic website Crysophere Today reported that Arctic ice volume was 500,000 sq km greater than this time last year. Additionally, Antarctic sea-ice this year reached its highest level since satellite records began in 1979. Polar bear numbers are also at record levels.

Himalayan glaciers
A report by the UN Environment Program this year claimed that the cause of melting glaciers in the Himalayas was not global warming but the local warming effect of a vast "atmospheric brown cloud" over that region, made up of soot particles from Asia's dramatically increased burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.
Temperatures are still dropping
Nasa satellite readings on global temperatures from the University of Alabama show that August was the fourth month this year when temperatures fell below their 30-year average, ie since satellite records began. November 2008 in the USA was only the 39th warmest since records began 113 years ago.

Block of text I know, but there are some arguments as to way it may not exist at all.

Great that's one argument against the countless arguments in this wiki article on sea levels, which is all cited by reputable sources including nasa, CSIRO, IPCC etc.
Reply 29
Original post by Movember
i dont know about you but i dont think we have had a proper summer in the UK since 2006, when it was sunny and hot weather from around may through to september (how it should be). since then the seasons have shifted and weather is so erratic and volatile its unbelievable! currently we have snow, snowy showers and winter temperatures whereas less than a week ago, it was nice summer weather. this is all when it should be spring weather. since 2006, we seem to get hot weather between march and june (everyone is revising for exams or doing exams). then by july it turns to autumn weather just in time for the summer holiday. we seem to get a brief hot spell (lasting about a week or two) in early october then in recent years, we get heavy snow as early as november or as late as march.

is it all due to global warming? i heard before that the winds bringing hot air from the caribbean had shifted upwards in recent years but it would go back to normality soon and we would have summers as we used to. but that hasnt happened. are we destined for erratic weather and shifted seasons forever more?

Nope, this isn't due to global warming. It's happening for the simple reason that we are living on a group of islands, surrounded by the continent, the ocean, and a few different seas. The wind directions obviously change all of the time, so the weather that we get is just moving in our direction by chance. Also, the Atlantic Ocean is known for its stormy, unpredictable rainy weather, so that may be one reason. Personally, I'm glad to live in a place where natural disasters are rare, there are no volcanoes, and we rarely have to put up with earthquakes, but that's just my opinion. :smile:
As Christopher Booker says in his review of 2008, temperatures have been dropping in a wholly unpredicted way over the past year. Last winter, the northern hemisphere saw its greatest snow cover since 1966, which in the northern US states and Canada was dubbed the "winter from hell". This winter looks set to be even worse.
Evidence from all over the world indicates that the earth was hotter 1,000 years ago than it is today. Research shows that temperatures were higher in what is known as the Mediaeval Warming period than they were in the 1990s.

Ice is not disappearing
Arctic website Crysophere Today reported that Arctic ice volume was 500,000 sq km greater than this time last year. Additionally, Antarctic sea-ice this year reached its highest level since satellite records began in 1979. Polar bear numbers are also at record levels.

Himalayan glaciers
A report by the UN Environment Program this year claimed that the cause of melting glaciers in the Himalayas was not global warming but the local warming effect of a vast "atmospheric brown cloud" over that region, made up of soot particles from Asia's dramatically increased burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.
Nasa satellite readings on global temperatures from the University of Alabama show that August was the fourth month this year when temperatures fell below their 30-year average, ie since satellite records began. November 2008 in the USA was only the 39th warmest since records began 113 years ago.

Block of text I know, but there are some arguments as to way it may not exist at all.

Lol so we've to take the view point of christopher brooker a journalist from the telegraph over actual scientists at nasa and the likes? :curious:

Not only that but he is in favour of intelligent design and says evolutionists "rest their case on nothing more than blind faith and unexamined a priori assumptions".

You want us to take this seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
pah leftists as usual wanting to promote their agenda of 'global warming' and 'climate change', the real reason is down to multiculturalism and mass immigration and New Liebour

Ice is not disappearing

Himalayan glaciers

I find it interesting how you cite one single result from Cryosphere Today as evidence that global warming is not happening when if you even take a few minutes to look at their website you will see overwhelming evidence for the decline of polar ice. Your arguments are irrelevant because you are citing single results, the temperature in X year or the ice cover in X month, if you look at the annual patterns it is clear temperatures are rising, ice caps are melthing, polar bears are dying. Sure, you might find one statistic that says otherwise, but you cannot publish a research paper based on one result. Did you copy and paste that? Because whoever wrote it clearly hasn't look at their sources, Christopher Booker is one of the most ridiculously biased journalists in the UK, the man is a joke. If I have to choose between the IPCC and some loony journalist I know who I'd choose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
pah leftists as usual wanting to promote their agenda of 'global warming' and 'climate change', the real reason is down to multiculturalism and mass immigration and New Liebour

What the fu................ Oh i see what you did there. :cool:
Reply 34
I don't know the journalist guy, but I'm sure he's not just plucked the stats from no-where. Point is, you can believe what you want. Until it's proven to be happening or not, we're all entitled to our opinions.
Reply 35
Original post by Besakt
I travelled 10 miles across fields of nettles on my knees for every shift.

LOL
Reply 36
Getting negged for having an opinion which hasn't been spoon-fed to me. Thanks bro.

You're getting negged for having an opinion that is wrong.
Reply 37
An opinion isn't wrong until it's dis-proven, sir.
An opinion isn't wrong until it's dis-proven, sir.

Disproven!
Reply 39
No - you've just linked a Wikipedia site, if it was disproven then all the top scientists would agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming#Scientists_arguing_that_global_warming_is_primarily_caused_by_natural_processes

Clearly some don't - it's still up for debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending