The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

social work at queens university belfast 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Gosh, I am exactly the same. I think though that my chances are slim given the spaces and the numbers of applicants.I wonder just how many were interviewed. I read on the forum that someone was notified of rejection the day after interview. That must have been bad!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 81
I keep dreaming that I've accidentally deleted my course choices on UCAS!
Reply 82
To quote many no news is good news so im sticking to that until Im told otherwise lol Think it doesnt help when so many like me had their interviews early it makes the waiting so long!! But at least well deffo know by the end of next month lol :s-smilie:
What were your choices I applied to QUB UU & BMC both the 2year and 3yr courses
Reply 83
I just applied for Uni Ulster in south west college campus dungannon, my careers advisor was an absolute heartbreaker and said if I apply all routes and fail the interview then I fail it for all of them, so I didnt want to use up all my UCAS choices onto something he made me feel I had zero chance of getting into.

Student finance is frustrating aswell, so were not finding out till maybe the 7th may, and the deadline for student finance is the 11th may, how fecked up.
Hi I had my interview end of Feb and the waiting is so hard I check my e mail everyday hoping that the offers'll be out soon but yeah as you say no news is good news. My friend applied last yr and offers came out Thurs before Easter but easter is alot earlier this yr so doubt we'll be hearing that soon :frown:. I do think we'll hear by the end of the month though so fingers crossed for us all. I applied for Magee, Queens and BMC but really really really want Magee.
Reply 85
All of your comments make me feel slightly more normal that I run for the post everyday and also have my emails linked to my phone lol, thought it was just me!!

Hi Andy, I have applied for both 2 and 3 year courses in QUB and UU, how do u know your interview was for the 2 year route did it specify that on your interview invitation?
I had just assumed the one interview would be for both routes, maybe I'm wrong!

:smile:
Reply 86
A week today since interview at UU. I'm on tenderhooks
Reply 87
I've been checking this all the time. Its Easter holidays now neway, so we're definitely not going to hear anything until at least the 16th. Which is even worse for us Neards as we're barely out of the woods time wise, the no news is good news thing may take a back seat as the ones who has our futures in the palm of their hands are off for easter lol

I've soooo much work to do aswell, five assignments due in by the 26th of April and then studying my ass off for my exams at the end of May.

How you all getting on with the workload coming towards the end of the year? What are you all studying anyway? Access Course? A levels? BTEC's? Tell me the craic and let me procrastinate some more. :smile:
Reply 88
we dont have to apply for student finance for queens do we :s-smilie::s-smilie: ???? is it not bursary based? and u apply via the university if you get a place?? gahh confused.com

haha xxo
Reply 89
I'm not waiting on results. I'm working full-time.So it will eith be an unconditional or rejection
Reply 90
I thought it was bursary based as well...Im the same as you Neards just waiting on that email lol
Reply 91
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/825.aspx applications for 2012/2013 havent opened yet
Reply 92
Do u not still get a student loan regardless of bursarys?? Hmmmmmm, I really don't know much about the whole bursary thing to be honest.

I think theres a finance info morning in college on the 16th must go and get everything up to date.....
Reply 93
I dont think I can get another student loan as I already took one for my sociology degree a few years ago but a bursary covers you (as not 100% sure so dont quote me on this) so you dont pay any fees for bursary courses like nursing & Social work..
Reply 94
LC101- I only chose the 2 year route on UCAS (L501 was the 2year route course code as far as I remember). Don't think I could put myself through another 3 year course as I have already completed an undergrad and am now finishing up a Masters degree. So I assume I would not be considered for any of the others.

Mayerzzz- I am currently studying a part-time Masters in Social and Community Development at Queen's as well as working full-time so that's keeping me busy at the minute, though I'd be lying if I did not admit I am getting more nervous about the prospect of a decision on this course every day as it is what I really want to do. Finding the waiting very hard...(very impatient lot, aren't we).

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but I am also currently trying to get my head around the finance stuff too, like whether or not we would have to pay fees if we got on the course? So i'm currently trying to save as much as I can from work at the minute, just in case...
Reply 95
Thanks for the reply andy! That makes sense lol! I already have an undergrad degree too I have only applied for both because I really want to be a social worker, that and as there's literally no jobs I think it's a great time to be studying! 8)
Reply 96
Hi everyone!!!

Haven't been on in a while as I'm trying my best not to get psyched out and stressed about the wait! Lol.

Hoping some of this info helps everyone!! In regards to loans/fee's...social work is no longer a paid degree (the NHS is struggling after all!) so you have to apply for a tuition fee's loan or pay it yourself! The loan is available to everyone (dependent on your financial circumstance obvs!) in the same way it is for any other degree-this also applies to anyone who has already completed an undergraduate-it's available for 2 degrees because you dont get it paid anymore! You also qualify for your maintenance loan and NHS bursary! All this is applied for through student finance and the NHS bursary is applied through Uni once you enrol! All in all of you qualify for the maintenance loan and your other bursaries it's more than you get for any undergrad degree and more than enough to survive on! You also get £500 'placement fund' to help with travelling costs!

Hope this helps and hope everyone isn't stressing too much! Also, 10th may is the deadline for answers and QUb especially are always on the last day! Almost one month to go! Good luck everyone!
Reply 97
Hey everyone! Hows the Easter break going for ya's??

Cheers for the reply Catty, i'm getting emails about applying for student finance but I cant really do it when I dont know if i've got in or not.

Nursing is a highly competitive, interview based course and UU have gave their decisions on that so i'm just grinding away hoping the decisions are out soon.

Neards, did them ones you know have their interview yet???

TORTUREEEEEE LOL

xx
Reply 98
Hey everyone! Hows the Easter break going for ya's??

Cheers for the reply Catty, i'm getting emails about applying for student finance but I cant really do it when I dont know if i've got in or not.

Nursing is a highly competitive, interview based course and UU have gave their decisions on that so i'm just grinding away hoping the decisions are out soon.

Neards, did them ones you know have their interview yet???

TORTUREEEEEE LOL

xx
Reply 99
Original post by edstark
I dont think I can get another student loan as I already took one for my sociology degree a few years ago but a bursary covers you (as not 100% sure so dont quote me on this) so you dont pay any fees for bursary courses like nursing & Social work..

If it is any help you do get a loan for sw as it is a professional qualification. The bursary is 4500 and awarded by dhss which you can use for whatever you want. It doesnt automatically pay you r fees but you can use it to do so if you want, they have to be paid somehow. Either by yourself or student finance. I got into qub last year and this was the way it worked so unless things have changed I think it is still the same. I got accepted to Magee and BMC about a week before the UCAC cut off date and got my offer from QUB on the cut off date. So all those out there still waiting do not give up hope. Magee are really good if you ring them and may give you the info before it is on UCAS, QUB wont. Good luck to you all and if I can help anyone just let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest