The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by uob
This is rather confusing. The Guild are pretty good in general in terms of their efforts in improving social life at uni. What do you feel is lacking?

Sorry I find your comment rather amusing.

The most unwelcoming, unjustifiably wannabe conceited ( emphasis on WANNABE) union I have ever encountered.

Too many things to list as I am v. busy now.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
whats the economics department like?
Reply 62
Original post by Txi
Sorry I find your comment rather amusing.

The most unwelcoming, unjustifiably wannabe conceited ( emphasis on WANNABE) union I have ever encountered.

Too many things to list as I am v. busy now.

Equally amusing. You've provided no coherent explanation so I'll have to disregard this.

Original post by internet tough guy
whats the economics department like?

I'm currently studying Economics at the uni. What were you interested in knowing about it?
Original post by uob

I'm currently studying Economics at the uni. What were you interested in knowing about it?

just general really

- lecturers/tutors good?
- how are the lecture theatres/rooms/facilities
- how many students are there studying economics or a joint honours involving it?
- what is the work like?

and also, isn't the economics dept situated a bit away from the main campus? is this a hassle?
Reply 64
just general really

- lecturers/tutors good?
- how many students are there studying economics or a joint honours involving it?
- what is the work like?

and also, isn't the economics dept situated a bit away from the main campus? is this a hassle?

Apparently there's just about 400 students in a compulsory module, so a first year module for example, Principles of Economics, that'll be students from straight Economics, as well as the other related ones in the department (Mathematical Economics and Statistics, Money Banking and Finance) as well as joint honours (Geography and Economics etc). The website says that there's 198 places available for all economics modules for September 2013 start, which makes sense that they're reducing the numbers given funding cuts. Despite that amount, there never seems to be that many students in lectures.
Seminars have at most 20 students, but at least in the ones I go to there is much less, as they have to make a fair few available due to the possibility of clashes with other modules and classes.

While academically, the economics department is in the business school, it's not physically, although I heard it was due to move in there in a couple of years. It's not situated away from campus at all, so is never a hassle, although we don't have to go there that often, as lectures aren't in the department and get spread out across campus. Most of our lectures are in the same lecture hall due to the size, with a couple of the smaller optional modules elsewhere. We've had a few seminars in the economics department, but again, they're generally elsewhere on campus.
You'd go to the department to submit assessed work, as well as speak to your tutor, or lecturers, in their office hours if you have any problems.
As a building, the department isn't nice at all, so I guess it's good that we don't have to go there that often, as well as the fact that it should eventually be moving!

The lecturers are overall quite good, although some have different teaching styles that not everyone takes to. I know a few people who dislike a particular lecturer, so made sure they chose modules that they weren't teaching.
They're certainly all passionate about their subjects, but for example, I didn't take to the economic history module's lecturer in the first year, as it wasn't something that interested me.
It's also hit or miss whether the lecturer will also be your class teacher, or whether it will someone assisting on the module - for the larger modules it's obviously unlikely.
They make themselves available every week during specific office hours for you to come and discuss anything you're not understanding, and the class teachers can help with that also.

As for general work, for the 6 modules we have for each semester, there are 2 hours for lectures a week, and then at least 1 hour of seminar every 2 weeks, if not every week in a couple of cases. So on average, about 15 contact hours a week, which I feel is about right for the course. As well as doing work for the classes beforehand, you're expected to generally be working on notes and background reading for each module.
In the first year you're more constrained when it comes to choosing modules, as you only get to choose 1 optional module for each semester. This increases in both 2nd and 3rd year so if you don't like the mathematical analysis so much, you can choose modules that rely on that less. There's a list of all the different modules here.

If you want me to clarify anything, or you have any other questions, do ask!
Reply 65
Hi, is anyone studying or know of people studying physiotherapy?
Also I've applied for Tennis Courts with meal plan and wondered if anyone could tell me what this is like?! Thaaaanks :-)
Original post by ADA93
Hi, is anyone studying or know of people studying physiotherapy?
Also I've applied for Tennis Courts with meal plan and wondered if anyone could tell me what this is like?! Thaaaanks :-)

Can't answer your question on physiotherapy or how good it is to live in Tennis Courts, but just to warn you - Tennis Courts is as far away as you can get from The Hub (where Fusion & Rio's, the places where most people eat on an evening/lunchtime if they're not in uni) whilst still living on The Vale so you might end up finding that it's an effort to get up there every night! Although having said that there are plenty of places on campus that take meal plan so you could easily spend it there. If you're not bothered about being a 10-15 minute walk away from The Hub then you're set for living there, really.
Reply 67
Original post by uob
Equally amusing. You've provided no coherent explanation so I'll have to disregard this.

You can do what you like.

Couldn't care less.

You are clearly some sort rep - so your job to go figure what is wrong.

I owe you no explanation whatsoever.
Reply 68
just general really

- lecturers/tutors good?
- what is the work like?

I too am on the Econs course right now.

I am not connected to the Bham admin in anyway.

- More bad than good - mostly hampered by numbers and bad course structure. i don't feel their knowledge is up to date, too far from London to be of any consequence finance wise

- the building are the best nit about the uni, but then again lots of unis have nice buildings - pretty places don't make good teaching. Place is badly designed and too big for a small city like Bham. Result you have to wlak much more than is justified.

- Too many, core modules have around 130 students - no matter how good the lecturer is, he cannot overcome the handicap of the basic problem of TOO MANY students.

- They tend to overload you to camouflage fact that course is going downhill. Disorganised, classes are taken by Phd students - some who can't speak fluent English.

Can't see why Bham econs is " rated ", totally over rated.

- Yes, it is a small hut like structure on the side.

Def'ly not worth 40+k in my view
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by uob
Apparently there's just about 400 students in a compulsory module, so a first year module for example, Principles of Economics, that'll be students from straight Economics, as well as the other related ones in the department (Mathematical Economics and Statistics, Money Banking and Finance) as well as joint honours (Geography and Economics etc). The website says that there's 198 places available for all economics modules for September 2013 start, which makes sense that they're reducing the numbers given funding cuts. Despite that amount, there never seems to be that many students in lectures.
Seminars have at most 20 students, but at least in the ones I go to there is much less, as they have to make a fair few available due to the possibility of clashes with other modules and classes.

While academically, the economics department is in the business school, it's not physically, although I heard it was due to move in there in a couple of years. It's not situated away from campus at all, so is never a hassle, although we don't have to go there that often, as lectures aren't in the department and get spread out across campus. Most of our lectures are in the same lecture hall due to the size, with a couple of the smaller optional modules elsewhere. We've had a few seminars in the economics department, but again, they're generally elsewhere on campus.
You'd go to the department to submit assessed work, as well as speak to your tutor, or lecturers, in their office hours if you have any problems.
As a building, the department isn't nice at all, so I guess it's good that we don't have to go there that often, as well as the fact that it should eventually be moving!

The lecturers are overall quite good, although some have different teaching styles that not everyone takes to. I know a few people who dislike a particular lecturer, so made sure they chose modules that they weren't teaching.
They're certainly all passionate about their subjects, but for example, I didn't take to the economic history module's lecturer in the first year, as it wasn't something that interested me.
It's also hit or miss whether the lecturer will also be your class teacher, or whether it will someone assisting on the module - for the larger modules it's obviously unlikely.
They make themselves available every week during specific office hours for you to come and discuss anything you're not understanding, and the class teachers can help with that also.

As for general work, for the 6 modules we have for each semester, there are 2 hours for lectures a week, and then at least 1 hour of seminar every 2 weeks, if not every week in a couple of cases. So on average, about 15 contact hours a week, which I feel is about right for the course. As well as doing work for the classes beforehand, you're expected to generally be working on notes and background reading for each module.
In the first year you're more constrained when it comes to choosing modules, as you only get to choose 1 optional module for each semester. This increases in both 2nd and 3rd year so if you don't like the mathematical analysis so much, you can choose modules that rely on that less. There's a list of all the different modules here.

If you want me to clarify anything, or you have any other questions, do ask!

Thanks alot for this :smile:

Just want to clarify a few things. You said the economics department is not physically in the business school, then where is it? (espicially when say here, ''We've had a few seminars in the economics department'')

also, when you say the building (referring to economics building?) isn't very nice, in what way do you mean?

and finally, roughly whats the work like? is it mostly mathematical problems with a few essays occasionally?
Reply 70
Original post by Txi
You can do what you like.

Couldn't care less.

You are clearly some sort rep - so your job to go figure what is wrong.

I owe you no explanation whatsoever.

Not at all. Just a student at the university who has had a fantastic experience, and somewhat at a loss how it's possible for someone to feel so disillusioned. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, but you've not explained why, so I can't possibly begin to understand.
Reply 71
Thanks alot for this :smile:

Just want to clarify a few things. You said the economics department is not physically in the business school, then where is it? (espicially when say here, ''We've had a few seminars in the economics department'')

also, when you say the building (referring to economics building?) isn't very nice, in what way do you mean?

and finally, roughly whats the work like? is it mostly mathematical problems with a few essays occasionally?

The J G Smith building - R20 on this map. As far as not being very nice, I'm referring to the aesthetics rather than any other purpose, which certainly contrasts to the older redbrick buildings! It certainly works as a department; just not a very inspiring building. Here is a picture.

As for the difference between mathematical problems and essays, it differs between modules. In 2nd year for example, both the Microeconomics and Macroeconomics modules are rather mathematical, partially assessed by assigned problem sets. They will still have exams in the summer that require some essay style work. On the other hand, there are modules such as Economic Development and Contemporary Issues in the UK Economy which are partially assessed by submitted essays, and rely less on mathematical models. Still, they have exams in the summer period.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Txi
I too am on the Econs course right now.

I am not connected to the Bham admin in anyway.

- More bad than good - mostly hampered by numbers and bad course structure. i don't feel their knowledge is up to date, too far from London to be of any consequence finance wise

:lolwut: really?

Original post by Txi

- the building are the best nit about the uni, but then again lots of unis have nice buildings - pretty places don't make good teaching. Place is badly designed and too big for a small city like Bham. Result you have to wlak much more than is justified.

- Too many, core modules have around 130 students - no matter how good the lecturer is, he cannot overcome the handicap of the basic problem of TOO MANY students.

when you say the ''the building are the best nit about the uni'', are you referring to the economics building? (if there is such a thing)

And also, isn't it standard to have lecture theatres which hold 100+ people? :s-smilie: I've thought this was normal, as in I've seen this on films/tv shows :tongue: but also I've sat in lecture halls in open days from various unis which look like theyre designed for that many people. I don't really understand, specifically, what problem do you speak of when you say lecturers, ''cannot overcome the handicap of the basic problem of TOO MANY students.''

Original post by Txi

- They tend to overload you to camouflage fact that course is going downhill. Disorganised, classes are taken by Phd students - some who can't speak fluent English.

Can't see why Bham econs is " rated ", totally over rated.

- Yes, it is a small hut like structure on the side.

Def'ly not worth 40+k in my view

you mean, as in taught by Phd students?

Thanks.
Reply 73
Original post by uob
Not at all. Just a student at the university who has had a fantastic experience, and somewhat at a loss how it's possible for someone to feel so disillusioned. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, but you've not explained why, so I can't possibly begin to understand.

No, sorry no falling for that.

Having an individual opinion is NOT disillusionment not matter how much you'd like it to be.
Original post by uob
The J G Smith building - R20 on this map. As far as not being very nice, I'm referring to the aesthetics rather than any other purpose, which certainly contrasts to the older redbrick buildings! It certainly works as a department; just not a very inspiring building. Here is a picture.

Oh I see, looks alright, but I've been to the university and main redbrick buildings do look better though :tongue:.

So I assume that whole building is for economics, right? and is it just for seminars, as in it doesn't have any lecture halls/theatre?

You said they're moving to the business building, is that a much better place? :s-smilie:, because it just seems a bit pointless to move out just to share a space with another department.
Reply 75
Original post by Txi

What?

Are you attempting to describe the undergraduate Economics course by saying that it has no consequence because the uni is not near London? I suppose given the concentration of financial services in London that there may be benefits of going to university there over anywhere else, but there is certainly not a problem for students studying Economics related degrees outside of London to get a job. Maybe you had your own problems in this, but I don't believe employers consider a finance related degree "not taught in London" as a factor.
Reply 76
:lolwut: really?

when you say the ''the building are the best nit about the un
i'', are you referring to the economics building? (if there is such a thing)

And also, isn't it standard to have lecture theatres which hold 100+ people? :s-smilie: I've thought this was normal, as in I've seen this on films/tv shows :tongue: but also I've sat in lecture halls in open days from various unis which look like theyre designed for that many people. I don't really understand, specifically, what problem do you speak of when you say lecturers, ''cannot overcome the handicap of the basic problem of TOO MANY students.''

you mean, as in taught by Phd students?

Thanks.

Yes of course.

The IB target school in these parts is Warwick.

I thought all you IB types knew that ?

No, Econs building is like a long WW2 bunker.

I find it hard to believe someone does not understand why too many students to an LT is a problem.

If you made up your mind already for Bham then why ask ? hell not my funeral or money for that matter.

Yes Phd students.
Reply 77
Original post by Txi
No, sorry no falling for that.

Having an individual opinion is NOT disillusionment not matter how much you'd like it to be.

Falling for that?! :rolleyes: There's no trick. I'm not some secret university manager intent on identifying and resolving problems by skulking around student forums. I'm also certainly not wishing your opinion to be disillusionment, but given the general consensus on social life I find it somewhat incomprehensibly.
Reply 78
Original post by uob
What?

Are you attempting to describe the undergraduate Economics course by saying that it has no consequence because the uni is not near London? I suppose given the concentration of financial services in London that there may be benefits of going to university there over anywhere else, but there is certainly not a problem for students studying Economics related degrees outside of London to get a job. Maybe you had your own problems in this, but I don't believe employers consider a finance related degree "not taught in London" as a factor.

Stop the fake surprised reaction, it looks so contrite

and it's wrong and you know it.

Bham is not a target school
Original post by Txi
Yes of course.

The IB target school in these parts is Warwick.

I thought all you IB types knew that ?

No, Econs building is like a long WW2 bunker.

I find it hard to believe someone does not understand why too many students to an LT is a problem.

If you made up your mind already for Bham then why ask ? hell not my funeral or money for that matter.

Yes Phd students.

I assumed that in lectures, people just sit and listen :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest