The Student Room Group

Is it normal to be this hairy (as a girl)?

Scroll to see replies

I have exactly the same hair you describe, the hair on the nipples and belly button to bikini line. Not on my chin, but everything else. I just wax tbh and it's fine. I spoke to my GP thinking I had PCOS or something and she said it was nothing to be worried about and some people just naturally have hair there. I'm white as well btw. I imagine more people have it than you think, but they get rid of it and don't like to talk about it for some reason.
Original post by Anonymous
Warning: This is a bit gross.

I have hair where I shouldn't. I have about 4/5 thick hairs on my chin that I have to pluck weekly, on the sides of my face I get long white hairs that I also pluck when I see them.
I have hair between by belly button and bikini line (not fine downy hair, but about 10 thick black hairs that again I either shave or wax, but there's always some sort of stubble :frown:). Not wanting to gross anyone out (if I haven't already) but I also have hair around my chest/boob area, and around my nipples. It's not dense like a man's but it's still visible and very upsetting.

I'm naturally fair and the rest of the hair on my body is translucent, I don't have any other problems with hormones/diet/weight/periods...i'm on the pill etc.

I'm thinking it might be genetic as my father and brother are both harier than average and even though I'm a girl maybe it has been passed down to me? lol

This is normal- it's possible you have some form of PCOS as excess hair can be a symptom and the pill could be masking symptoms but honestly, I've seen loads of women with similar ammounts of hair in the places you've mentioned and some even more. It's up to you if you want to remove it, some guys may ew at some of the hair and some might not :smile:
Reply 42
I was on the pill Dianette before going back to the regualar Microgynon because of the side effects it had on me. It gave me a constant sore stomach, like really bad. It says it can cause stomach cramps but I guess I was just unlucky it happened to me. Its worth a shot though!
Wow. Reading through these comments, some people need to grow up.

OP, I guess some girls are hairier than others. It could be as simple as that.

I know it must not be very nice, especially with this huge emphasis upon female hair removal nowadays. If it really bothers you badly, you could think about laser hair removal? Or maybe it is worth a trip to the doctors, just to rule anything hormonal out. I know you say you don't have a problem but you never know.
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
Warning: This is a bit gross.

I have hair where I shouldn't. I have about 4/5 thick hairs on my chin that I have to pluck weekly, on the sides of my face I get long white hairs that I also pluck when I see them.
I have hair between by belly button and bikini line (not fine downy hair, but about 10 thick black hairs that again I either shave or wax, but there's always some sort of stubble :frown:). Not wanting to gross anyone out (if I haven't already) but I also have hair around my chest/boob area, and around my nipples. It's not dense like a man's but it's still visible and very upsetting.

I'm naturally fair and the rest of the hair on my body is translucent, I don't have any other problems with hormones/diet/weight/periods...i'm on the pill etc.

I'm thinking it might be genetic as my father and brother are both harier than average and even though I'm a girl maybe it has been passed down to me? lol

This is usually hormones. If it's always been that way, I'd check with the doctor. Ask for a hormone test.
If your testosterone turns out too high for average female, there are pharmaceutic remedies.
If your testosterone comes back normal, have it laser-removed. It's a one-off solution
Reply 45
It sounds like the sort of hair growth you get if you have Polycystic ovary syndrome - do you have any other symptoms such as irregular periods/weight gain?
Maybe get a blood test to check yourself out
Hate to say the same as everyone else but that sounds like polycystic ovaries with an advanced case of hirsutism (the hairyness). I was in a similar situation although it sounds as if yours is a bit worse than mine was, and I was put on the oral contraceptive co-cyprindiol. I cannot reccomend it enough. I've gone from having to pluck my chin weekly to 3 times in 7 months, and waxing my top lip fortnightly to twice in 7 months. Should also help if you have any problems with irregular periods, which often come hand in hand with the condition.

Co-cyprindiol works by suppressing your androgens (male hormones) and boosting your estrogen. The only downside I can think of is the slight increase of susceptibility to breast/cervical cancer after use of 10+ years, as you'll get with any contraceptive pill- but you can stop whenever you want.
Censorship right here!! Deleting all my posts TSR; I thought thid was a democratic forum, not a Stalinist dictatorship (learning Hisory :love:)
Get a referral to a gynaecologist for blood tests/a scan to rule out polycystic ovarian syndrome (very common and thats one of the symptoms) and also blood tests to rule out thyroid problems. Shaving will make it worse - wax if you have too as the hairs grow back finer or tweeze if you're patient enough.

Quick Reply

Latest