The Student Room Group

Effective revision method?

Hi, I'm currently revising for 12 exams, I usually revise by reading revision guides repeatedly but I think it isn't an effective way as I feel I can be doing something more productive. I also make revision notes but this seems to take to long.
Does anyone have any alternative revision methods?
I've found trying to explain it to someone who doesn't know the subject tends to help.

So for example when I'm revising chemistry, I'll try and explain the concepts to my mum (who knows absolutely nothing about chemistry, her trying to pronounce chemical names is one of the funniest things ever) from the ground up. You have to understand how it works in order to explain it and it helps with describe and explain questions in exams.
Reply 2
Top revision technique is probably to press the 'X' on TSR, and then get your head in a book!
Reply 3
Original post by simon-123
Hi, I'm currently revising for 12 exams, I usually revise by reading revision guides repeatedly but I think it isn't an effective way as I feel I can be doing something more productive. I also make revision notes but this seems to take to long.
Does anyone have any alternative revision methods?

Revision notes aren't effective for everyone since it takes time and sometimes people start copying the whole of the text book which is not very useful.

Some methods are reading out loud, constantly reading in your mind, writing on scrap paper over and over again, making questions and answering them, flash cards (time consuming - not effective for everyone), etc.

Find the method which suits best and concentrate on the work
Reply 4
I think notes are good but don't see them as the end result. The whole time you are writing notes your brain is organizing material so you remember it better, but a good technique is to write really really simple notes. That way when you look at them again you will really have to think about it which again will help you learn, and if you forget it look in the textbook. I don't think there are many revision methods for things like exams but the only effective way to remember things in life is to do stuff like a sport or a language but exams are just so different to real life, so I think anyway.
Reply 5
Depends on the subjects I think (essay/short answer) but my favourite is Anki http://ankisrs.net/ (flashcard software for your PC) it's much quicker than making manual flashcards and there's all sorts of things you can do with them! ^^
Reply 6
I find saying/writing it over until you know it off by heart, also making up rhymes etc to help you remember things

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
I found this which may help if you're a more visual learner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maps/maploader.swf

It also helps to prioritise your exams - sitting ones at different times of year (Jan and June), legnth of exam (a 1 hour exam compared to a 2 and a half hour exam) and knowing how many marks each exam has helps to see which ones are a higher priority than others.

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply