The Student Room Group

Masters: Bristol or Bath?

Evening all,

I'm graduating this summer with a degree in Politics and am planning to do a Masters in International Security at either Bristol or Bath. I've got offers from both, I know that Bath is supposed to be the better Uni, but Bristol has got the music scene which I don't think I can go without.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this?

Muchos gracias.
Original post by Ses9nw
Evening all,

I'm graduating this summer with a degree in Politics and am planning to do a Masters in International Security at either Bristol or Bath. I've got offers from both, I know that Bath is supposed to be the better Uni, but Bristol has got the music scene which I don't think I can go without.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this?

Muchos gracias.

Bristol is 15 minutes away by train, about £3.50 with a student railcard? Bath has a thriving arts scene, I can't imagine that it lacks opportunities to engage and participate in the music scene of your choice.

It's not as if you can't engage with your music via headphones, email, blogging, pub chats, small gigs, uni practice rooms, recording studios etc. About the only thing Bath hasn't got that Bristol has is a biggish space like Colston Hall.

I'd base spending that much money on more fundamental academic reasons, rather than an interest that could easily be satisfied by travelling to somewhere very close by.

Having said that, Bristol is excellent for IR. Which uni has the academics you are more interested in working with?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply!

Regarding the music, we're talking St Pauls, so although I can logically justify getting too and from Bath for a rave, it's going to be an entirely different story when I'm freezing to death at 5 in the morning in winter waiting for the train/busses to start so I can get back to Bath.

Bristol is also a lot easier to get to from my home.

The gym at Bath does tempt me, but it's not really something I should take into account.

The courses are identical, so I should have a look at the academics that are teaching but I've been running under the assumption that give or take, they're going to be approximately the same standard. To be honest, if the Masters is similar to the degree then I'm not going to see particularly much of them anyway! :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending