The Student Room Group

Should I keep my part time job over the summer?

OK, so I'm faced with a dilemma..... I want to work over the summer when I'm not at uni. I have a part time job in my uni town (15 hours Sat/Sun)

I have 3 options

1. Get rid of job and try to find summer work and find another part time job when I go back in September.

2. Stay in my uni town over the summer and live in the uni halls and try to get work midweek too (COST: £100 plus living expenses)

3. Take a bus from my home town to my uni town (2 Hours on bus each way) on Saturday and Sunday and try to get work midweek too. (COST: £30)

I earn £100 per weekend plus commission (so it is a really good paying job) and I love the job, I don't really wan't to give it up.

However, most jobs will wan't me to be flexible and work the weekend - which I won't be able to if I keep my current job.

I.E: I may be able to get a full time post over the holidays - which is alot better than just working 15 hours.

I'm not sure what to do!!!!!!
Original post by youshallnotpass
OK, so I'm faced with a dilemma..... I want to work over the summer when I'm not at uni. I have a part time job in my uni town (15 hours Sat/Sun)

I have 3 options

1. Get rid of job and try to find summer work and find another part time job when I go back in September.

2. Stay in my uni town over the summer and live in the uni halls and try to get work midweek too (COST: £100 plus living expenses)

3. Take a bus from my home town to my uni town (2 Hours on bus each way) on Saturday and Sunday and try to get work midweek too. (COST: £30)

I earn £100 per weekend plus commission (so it is a really good paying job) and I love the job, I don't really wan't to give it up.

However, most jobs will wan't me to be flexible and work the weekend - which I won't be able to if I keep my current job.

I.E: I may be able to get a full time post over the holidays - which is alot better than just working 15 hours.

I'm not sure what to do!!!!!!

Who do you work for? Is there a branch / store in your home town and could you ask about potentially transferring for summer?
Reply 2
I would choose option 3.

Firstly, the reason for keeping the job is that you enjoy it and it gives you money to help support yourself at uni. If you quit now there is no guarantee you'll find a summer job or a replacement part-time job next year, and even if you do it may be something you hate. This seems like a big risk to take and imo not worth it.

Secondly, the reason for taking the bus is that it is the cheaper option. It would leave you with £70 + commission per week after taking off the £30 in bus fares, whereas if you got accommodation in your uni town then all the money you were making from working would be going on living. Of course this would only be the case if you couldn't get work in the week but as there's no guarantee of this I think it's best to assume you won't for now. Yes it will make the weekends long but it's only 2 days a week.

It's up to you if you try to get work in the week too, but if you do I would suggest looking for that in your hometown to make things easier for yourself. Of course it will be harder if you're not available at weekends but it's not impossible and even if you don't get anything you've still got £70 + commission coming in, and you've still got your job next year (and if you add up all the £100s from weekends at uni it will outweight the potential full time hours you could have had over the summer).
If the company you work for has a branch closer to home, you could see about transferring to the one closer to home for the holidays.
If they know you are at university, could you not ask them if it was okay for you to stop for summer and then come back to work when you are back at university next term?

Quick Reply

Latest