The Student Room Group

Insurance have higher entry requirements than firm?

To receive a reduced offer of BBB (normally AAB) from Leeds I have to firm them. I was wondering whether it's possible to insure Nottingham which has offered ABB (higher entry requirements than my firm).

Is it possible to turn down my firm and accept my insurance university on results day if I meet the higher requirements of ABB?
Reply 1
No, if you accept a firm and satisfy the conditions of that firm, you have to take it according to UCAS rules; your insurance choice becomes declined. Bit weird of Leeds to do that thing with their offer though...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Its basically down to where you want to be, my firm has a lower grades requirement than my insurance; However if you end up going to nottingham as your insurance you wouldnt be guaranteed accommodation or some of the bursaries available (im not sure how it works at leeds), so you should consider whats available to you if you firm each one as opposed to insuring them
Reply 3
Original post by DarrenDM
To receive a reduced offer of BBB (normally AAB) from Leeds I have to firm them. I was wondering whether it's possible to insure Nottingham which has offered ABB (higher entry requirements than my firm).

Is it possible to turn down my firm and accept my insurance university on results day if I meet the higher requirements of ABB?

Just out of interest, how do you receive a reduced offer of BBB???
Reply 4
Original post by CraigKirk
No, if you accept a firm and satisfy the conditions of that firm, you have to take it according to UCAS rules. Bit weird of Leeds to do that thing with their offer though...

Thanks, this is what my friend said. The reduced offer is through their Access To Leeds scheme.

Original post by exam2k10
Just out of interest, how do you receive a reduced offer of BBB???

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/A2L.html

Original post by 05sykesd
Its basically down to where you want to be, my firm has a lower grades requirement than my insurance; However if you end up going to nottingham as your insurance you wouldnt be guaranteed accommodation or some of the bursaries available (im not sure how it works at leeds), so you should consider whats available to you if you firm each one as opposed to insuring them

This information contradicts that of the first (above). If I get ABB or higher, then must I go to my firm no matter what, or am I still able to choose the insurance choice?
Reply 5

This information contradicts that of the first (above). If I get ABB or higher, then must I go to my firm no matter what, or am I still able to choose the insurance choice?

I know that you cant choose to turn down your firm, but i was on about which one to choose as firm in the first place
Reply 6
Thanks, this is what my friend said. The reduced offer is through their Access To Leeds scheme.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/A2L.html

Relevant link here.
Reply 7
Original post by 05sykesd
I know that you cant choose to turn down your firm, but i was on about which one to choose as firm in the first place

Thank you, I get ya.

I did prefer Leeds on my visit but in terms of rank (Civil Engineering), Nottingham is a lot higher and was thinking that it may be a better uni choice in terms of job prospects and stuff.
Reply 8
If this helps, i know that if leeds is your insurance you can still apply for accomodation (i did this and got my first choice :smile:)

If you meet your firm offer grades then you are obligated to go there. However what you can do after results day is ask UCAS to SWITCH your firm and insurance choices around so that Leeds becomes your insurance and Nottingham your firm. If you do this then make sure they understand that you want to SWITCH/SWAP your choices (UCAS use both terms) rather than being released from your firm choice or rejecting your firm choice. If you are released from your firm choice then you will go into clearing, you will not go directly to your insurance choice.

Quick Reply

Latest