The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The game provides coaches/scouts to help you, but imo its as important to trust your own judgement - even the staff with the best stats can get things wrong, and sometimes its best to go with your gut instinct.
Reply 6141
Started a new Liverpool game a couple of days ago. Brought in Asamoah, Sanogo, Vrsaljko and then Nene in on loan for the season. Got rid of Maxi, Aurelio and a bunch of other fringe players/youngsters. Nene and Vrsaljko have been excellent.

Somehow sitting top of the league, although Man Utd have a game in hand. They were my first game of the season, which I lost 2-1. Drew one or two games after that but since then I've won every game I think. Curently in November.

Got lucky in the League Cup. Was 2-0 up against Wolves, so I decided to take 3 players of and play some more youngsters. Wolves took it to extra time where Shelvey scored a right footed volley across goal to win the game. Utd and City both got knocked out in that round too, so it gives me a good chance of silverware.

Suarez has pretty much got a goal a game, but could have so many more. We've been dominating games and he gets around 3 clear cut chances a game. Carroll hit form then got injured for about a month. Defence is the best in the league, Coates/Agger partnership. Both Skrtel and Agger are currently out for a few weeks though :frown:

Sterling's out for 4 months with a broken foot. Won't help his development.
Reply 6142
I swear my clubs' reputation has gone down even though I qualified for the Champions League :lolwut:

Identified a few targets towards the back end of the season, scouts said they'd want to move, and then it gets to the window and the same scouts are saying the same players have no intention. Got a couple of offers accepted but the players were having none of it, wouldn't even let me offer anything. Bizarre.

Got top 4 with Betis though which was great, lost the Europa League final to Arsenal (dodgy pen :colonhash:), but it has proven impossible to strenghen my squad to any degree. The most important arrivals were sorted last season, James Rodriguez for £2mil and Bolat (Swiss keeper) on a free but so far i've only sorted Lucas Piazon and Pogba on loan, and then a 4th choice CB to help my homegrown criteria. Biggest achievment has been keeping hold of my players :colonhash:

I'm hoping that if I get through qualifying my rep will shoot up and i'll be able to do some business at the very end of the window, if not i'll have to hope improvement from the likes of Fer, Eriksen, Sanogo and Fierro will be able to keep me in the top 4.
Cavani broke his leg and has been out for 5 months, in the meantime hes turned into a player who youd say was 'good' as opposed to 'leading.' FML
By that I mean, hes probably good enough for a mid PL team. A few months after I paid £40m for him too...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6144
Scrap what I said above, Madrid went on a ridiculous spending spree so I was able to pick up Pepe and Lass Diarra on loan :awesome:

Been some very strange activity in the transfer market, I said earlier that Ozil and Pastore were both transfer listed and sold on the cheap, City have been even stranger. Put Silva up for sale, changed their minds and put Nasri up instead, and then changed again to Silva. Barca also sold Busquets for £16mil.

Lost the first leg of my CL qualifier to PSV 1-0, mainly thanks to a farcical red for my CB, but even with 10 men it was an even game so I knew i'd batter them at my place. 4-0 as it turned out, should have been more. Bayern, Sporting Lisbon and Paris in my group, will be tough.

Not quite sure how but my bank balance has snuck up to £26mil, gonna wait for my reputation to go up and then splash out a bit. Keeping a tight wage structure though, Pepe on loan took my highest earner to 41k, Fer on 40k behind that, Eriksen 39k, Hoillett 35k and no one else above 30k. It's all about sustainability. The Betis green revolution ffs :sexface:
Original post by Louis.
Scrap what I said above, Madrid went on a ridiculous spending spree so I was able to pick up Pepe and Lass Diarra on loan :awesome:

Been some very strange activity in the transfer market, I said earlier that Ozil and Pastore were both transfer listed and sold on the cheap, City have been even stranger. Put Silva up for sale, changed their minds and put Nasri up instead, and then changed again to Silva. Barca also sold Busquets for £16mil.

Lost the first leg of my CL qualifier to PSV 1-0, mainly thanks to a farcical red for my CB, but even with 10 men it was an even game so I knew i'd batter them at my place. 4-0 as it turned out, should have been more. Bayern, Sporting Lisbon and Paris in my group, will be tough.

Not quite sure how but my bank balance has snuck up to £26mil, gonna wait for my reputation to go up and then splash out a bit. Keeping a tight wage structure though, Pepe on loan took my highest earner to 41k, Fer on 40k behind that, Eriksen 39k, Hoillett 35k and no one else above 30k. It's all about sustainability. The Betis green revolution ffs :sexface:

What year are you in?
I'm in 2022, so I'm established top 4, I will win the league eventually. I think I'll finish the real sociedad job, I'll win a CL trophy or I'll win the league and I'll leave.

By the way, the way you've played your game is similar to mine, no player is above 70k in mine. The only reason why it went to 70k was because antoine griezmann started running riot for a few seasons and the highest earner clause messed me up.

Anyway I like the fact someone has done a similar game to me in a similar league though. I have a 60million transfer budget lol, just sell one of your best players for 20million and have a ready replacement for each position.
Original post by rainbow_kisses
Gonna quit till summer as my revision is suffering :frown:

I know :frown: every time I give myself a break, for a bit I end up playing FM longer than I wanted. So I 've had to unistall it till summer.
Been managing Manchester United alongside England for a couple of years now. Took over when Capello quit after 2014. Lost in the Euro's final to Spain 4-3, i was missing Joe Hart, Rodwell, Milner and Jones for the final and only lost it due to a robert green error in the 93rd minute =.=

Approaching the world cup in brazil and been drawn with Nigeria, Montengro and Iran. So relatively easy group. Not sure if i want to stay on as England manager for any longer or be an international manager any more. Whats your motivation to stay on as a national manager?
Reply 6148
Original post by jam277
What year are you in?
I'm in 2022, so I'm established top 4, I will win the league eventually. I think I'll finish the real sociedad job, I'll win a CL trophy or I'll win the league and I'll leave.

By the way, the way you've played your game is similar to mine, no player is above 70k in mine. The only reason why it went to 70k was because antoine griezmann started running riot for a few seasons and the highest earner clause messed me up.

Anyway I like the fact someone has done a similar game to me in a similar league though. I have a 60million transfer budget lol, just sell one of your best players for 20million and have a ready replacement for each position.

Finished two seasons, just started my 3rd. Finished 5th first season and then 4th the next. Madrid and Barca still feel absolutely miles off though.

Yeah i'm dreading the time when I have to renew the contracts of my best players, gonna send my wage bill soaring. Either then or if I reject an offer for them and they get pissed and ask for a new deal. All my best players are young atm so I can get away with a relatively cheap wage bill, that won't last for long :nopity:
Gonna quit till summer as my revision is suffering :frown:

Original post by Kruz
I know :frown: every time I give myself a break, for a bit I end up playing FM longer than I wanted. So I 've had to unistall it till summer.

In the same boat *cry forever*
Original post by jackf1337
In the same boat *cry forever*

Thing is I don't think im more productive haha
Thing is I don't think im more productive haha

Me either. But I know I'd regret playing it if I found out on results day I only got into my insurance uni...
Me either. But I know I'd regret playing it if I found out on results day I only got into my insurance uni...

Just outta interest, what are your firm and insurance?
Reply 6153
2 more weeks, then I can tuck away into a long term game on FM >_>, first year almost over! Looking at Louis and Jam, the Spanish league is looking interesting, seeing as I've played England and France, it's either Spain or Italy for me. Considering Bilbao or Villareal for Spain or Napoli for Italy.
Just outta interest, what are your firm and insurance?

Well it's not official yet (I haven't submitted decisions to UCAS), but I hold two offers. One from Goldsmiths (ABb) and one from Salford (180 pts) so Golds will be my firm and Salford will be my insurance.

What about you?
Well it's not official yet (I haven't submitted decisions to UCAS), but I hold two offers. One from Goldsmiths (ABb) and one from Salford (180 pts) so Golds will be my firm and Salford will be my insurance.

What about you?

Oh congrats on the offers! I'm taking a gap year so I have no offers to aim for!
Reply 6156
Just threw away a 3-0 lead against Sunderland, who were bottom of the league. Ended up 3-3. My team seems to have a habit of this. :unimpressed:
Oh congrats on the offers! I'm taking a gap year so I have no offers to aim for!

Well good luck on wherever you may apply!

What're you interested in doing? (Assuming you're going to Uni after your gap year)
Original post by Louis.
Finished two seasons, just started my 3rd. Finished 5th first season and then 4th the next. Madrid and Barca still feel absolutely miles off though.

Yeah i'm dreading the time when I have to renew the contracts of my best players, gonna send my wage bill soaring. Either then or if I reject an offer for them and they get pissed and ask for a new deal. All my best players are young atm so I can get away with a relatively cheap wage bill, that won't last for long :nopity:

Yeah, you need squad depth I think to beat barca and madrid regurlarly. Valencia and athletico get pretty good as well(valencia and I were in a scrap for the title a couple of seasons ago) But yeah your wage bill is gonna be stupidly high, If anybody asks for an 80k contract I'm not renewing it simple as. I find getting free transfers/players from lower leagues or reserve teams much cheaper in terms of wages and they can do a good job as a squad player.

You did better than me tbf in my first two seasons, but then I had no money whatsoever and would have made the champions league in my first season were it not for a stupid injury crisis in january where I just crashed. I dunno whether to start a new game yet. I wanna go to serie A, but I also want to start a brand new save on a random team in their prem or their version of the championship?
Reply 6159
Just reading this thread makes me want to load up the game. Damn you revision!