The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junaid96
I want the highest grade with minimum marks for my Maths. e.g. if I get my A* in C4, then I only need to submit my lower 2 applied modules, leaving the other two higher scores to give me a higher chance of getting an A in FM, which I will complete next year in upper sixth.

If, hypothetically, I had 100 in C1-4, and then 60, 70, 80, 90 in applied modules and 100 in FP1, I'd want 100, 100, 100, 100, 60, 70 for my Maths A-level (the lowest combination that will still get me an A*), and 80, 90, 100 in FM (highest number of marks towards FM without reducing the Maths grade.

Didn't you suggest they would try to max out my Maths score beyond my grade as normally you might need high UMS marks to argue your case should you miss the grade. In my case, however, there will be no negotiations with uni's as I don't apply until next year.

If you cash in your FM AS this year, the exam board will sort your modules to get you the highest possible pair of grades this year, but with the highest possible score on your Maths A level. With your example that would mean just putting the 60 and 80 with the 100 for FP1 in FM AS to get 240 for your A.

Next year, you must make sure that your school recash in your A level Maths and FM AS as well as cashing in the FM A level as this "unlocks" the modules so that they can again get the best possible grades for you.
Next year
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tiny hobbit
If you cash in your FM AS this year, the exam board will sort your modules to get you the highest possible pair of grades this year, but with the highest possible score on your Maths A level. With your example that would mean just putting the 60 and 80 with the 100 for FP1 in FM AS to get 240 for your A.

Next year, you must make sure that your school recash in your A level Maths and FM AS as well as cashing in the FM A level as this "unlocks" the modules so that they can again get the best possible grades for you.
Next year

I see. Still not what I'm after though, because universities will look at my UMS average for FM so I want it as high as possible now. I think I'll talk to my exams officer - maybe they can contact the exam board to specify exactly which modules will be cashed. Or could I just not cash anything and say on my UCAS "uncashed Maths A-level"?
Does anybody have/know where I can get the January 2012 edexcel markschemes for D1 and C3?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Does anybody have/know where I can get the January 2012 edexcel markschemes for D1 and C3?

They are attached with this post.
Original post by raheem94
They are attached with this post.

Thank you vv much :smile:

Where did you find them?
Thank you vv much :smile:

Where did you find them?

I found them on student forumz.
Original post by raheem94
I found them on student forumz.

Ahh cool :smile:
Reply 547

Can you upload the D1 2012 paper please?
Reply 548
Original post by Sharyn
Can you upload the D1 2012 paper please?

You can find the Jan 2012 official edexcel papers & markschemes at MathsPapers.co.uk
Reply 549
Original post by mikeleeds
You can find the Jan 2012 official edexcel papers & markschemes at MathsPapers.co.uk

Thankyouuuuu :smile: Need all the practice I can get when it comes to maths :s-smilie:
Would someone care to explain the criteria to get an A* please?!
Do you need 90+ for C3 and C4 separately, or is it as an average of over 90 between the two?
I do statistics, so what grade would i need in the S2 or does this not matter?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by hopefulmedic
Would someone care to explain the criteria to get an A* please?!
Do you need 90+ for C3 and C4 separately, or is it as an average of over 90 between the two?
I do statistics, so what grade would i need in the S2 or does this not matter?
Thanks in advance!

Average 90% over C3/C4 and average 80% over the whole A-Level (AS+A2)
Original post by confused dot com
Average 90% over C3/C4 and average 80% over the whole A-Level (AS+A2)

thankyou!! :smile:
Reply 553
bump
Original post by Arsey
bump

so arsey what do you think about the paper next week any proving ?
Just scored 66/75 doing this test again. I can't believe I got a U originally.....
Original post by Chris P Chicken.
Just scored 66/75 doing this test again. I can't believe I got a U originally.....

Wow thats great! :smile:
Are ou resitting tomorrow?
Original post by Arsey
Reasonable paper I thought

How do you do 6d) I am soo confused
Original post by ...mo...
How do you do 6d) I am soo confused

f(x) = e^x + 2
so y = e^x + 2

For f^-1(x) you change the x to y resulting in

x = e^y + 2

Then you rearrange this for y = ln(x-2)