The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
Original post by MiriamG
Hello!
these are some cool statistics... where did you get them from? I would like to look at my course in that respect.

Also, the conversatio you and oxymoronic just had here is very interesting!
I expected that my offer would strongely correlate with the high applicant numbers for Edinburgh and was surprised at my 35, 555 offer! (but I was too happy to see it as a bad sign or something:cool:)

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by saachi
UCAS did send everyone some sort of survey where they suggested that people apply to university after they've already gotten their results- I think that's far, far better.

Did you see all of the TSR stuff on that? That's the consultation I've been working on with UCAS, so we submitted a response on behalf of TSR members and I went to a few meeting about it too. They've just released the findings of this consultation - I had the pleasure of reading the 70 page report to give you guys a summary:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1887746

There's also a UCAS consultation on qualifications/entry requirements at the moment which we're also part of and again, I've been to consultations on it to represent TSR members. You can respond to that survey here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1950764 and then once the findings are out I'll let you all know what's happening there too.

I was actually in the same position with Edinburgh and Durham. Edinburgh's offer was 34 and Durham's was 38 (IB), and EVERYONE was telling me to firm Durham because they thought it was bound to be better just because they asked for higher grades. My mom actually got angry at me for firming Edinburgh. According to my family and friends, firm= Durham, insurance= Edinburgh, and then I have two fantastic universities to go to. Even while I was considering firming Durham, I was secretly planning on missing the grades and aiming for 37, because I really wanted to go to Edinburgh. That's when I realized how stupid I was being by not firming my favorite.

I'm glad you went with what was best for you - the difference between Edinburgh and Durham is very marginal at the very best.
Original post by annabelisme
Has anyone who got that email about hearing back by the 10th April heard back yet?

I haven't heard back either. :frown:
I have an unconditional and at the moment it's in first place for me. Actuarial Science at HWU has the final chance to impress me next Friday.

Were y'all at the open day yesterday?
Reply 2924
Has anyone who got that email about hearing back by the 10th April heard back yet?

nothing heard back but my status went blank today so hopefully something soon
Change of heart.

Swaying towards UFing Edinburgh :smile:
"Your Application is Pending Our Decision."

:banghead: :argh: :banghead: :hmpf:

It'd be nice to hear back soon seeing as I plan to visit next week... :/

:adore: :please: :adore:
Reply 2927
Original post by deek
nothing heard back but my status went blank today so hopefully something soon

Bloody lucker!... No offence :biggrin:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I have an unconditional and at the moment it's in first place for me. Actuarial Science at HWU has the final chance to impress me next Friday.

Were y'all at the open day yesterday?

I didn't know they were doing Open days for humanities as well yesterday. We got a bus tour around Edinburgh, on the usual tourist trail. Very useful for those of us who live just up the road! I think the day made up my mind though - I'm going for Edinburgh.

What was Economics like? I have not even inquired about outside subjects yet, or seen anything of the Level 1 course etc... Please try to sum up 8 months of research into less than 50 words. :smile:
ooh congrats! What for? What conditions?

Germanic and Scandinavian Studies! They have requested at least 4's on two AP exams, and a 650 for the German SAT-II, so it's not so difficult. Queen Mary wanted 5's and at least a 700, so I'm not complaining :wink:
Reply 2930
Firmed my unconditional for Geology. Any other Geologists UF'd?
So how worried should I be that it's April and my application to Linguistics Q100 is still Pending?
Original post by elebuughoti
So how worried should I be that it's April and my application to Linguistics Q100 is still Pending?

So's mine -.-
Reply 2933
Anxious mum here. It seems that TSR is the only place we can see what's going on with applications. My daughter applied for MA Psychology and got that 10 April email. Stil no news though. Is there anyone else who applied for that course and got that email and is still waiting or have some offers come through yet? This is a nerve racking time:frown:
Original post by imamum
Anxious mum here. It seems that TSR is the only place we can see what's going on with applications. My daughter applied for MA Psychology and got that 10 April email. Stil no news though. Is there anyone else who applied for that course and got that email and is still waiting or have some offers come through yet? This is a nerve racking time:frown:

There's still time before the 10th (the university doesn't take Easter as a holiday) for a response, but I think Edinburgh have been leading on a number of waiting applicants. The reality at this point, is that some people will probably be waiting until May 9th. It'll be interesting to see how Edinburgh get out of the April 10th deadline that they self-imposed.
Reply 2935
I certainly hope they haven't been leading people on. An email like that is bound to get students' hopes up.. As for the Easter break, it useful to know that the admissions team are working hard at it (unfortunately for them) over the break in an attempt (hopefully) to meet that deadline. BTW - I think you and your fellow forum assistants, oxymoronic and co, are doing a fabulous job on this site. Congratulations and THANKS to you all!
Reply 2936
Economics L100!
Original post by imamum
I certainly hope they haven't been leading people on. An email like that is bound to get students' hopes up.. As for the Easter break, it useful to know that the admissions team are working hard at it (unfortunately for them) over the break in an attempt (hopefully) to meet that deadline. BTW - I think you and your fellow forum assistants, oxymoronic and co, are doing a fabulous job on this site. Congratulations and THANKS to you all!

I'm guessing they've been emailed more than usual this year as a response to complaints from applicants in previous years that there no was communication at all. That said, it would be better if they were pessimistic in their communications - people prefer to pleasantly surprised by an early decision rather than annoyed and upset by a late one. Apart from Christmas the university no longer takes any holidays - all the staff just got extra allowances instead. So I'm sure the admissions team will get their week on the beach at some point!

As for your last comment, I'm sure I speak for oxymoronic too when I say you're too kind. :colondollar:
It does seem stupid to impose a unambiguous date when you're one of the most oversubscribed universities in Scotland. It appears like they're attempting to following the lead of Glasgow who sent out a similar e-mail in February telling applicants to expect a response by mid-March. Even they expressed caution by giving a vague deadline. Personally, I think its a risky move because if they do it, applicants will respect them for giving them a specific date and working towards it. If not, many may feel slightly annoyed, upset and even slightly bitter towards the admissions team for giving a date they can't fulfil.
Original post by CurtainrailMan
I didn't know they were doing Open days for humanities as well yesterday. We got a bus tour around Edinburgh, on the usual tourist trail. Very useful for those of us who live just up the road! I think the day made up my mind though - I'm going for Edinburgh.

What was Economics like? I have not even inquired about outside subjects yet, or seen anything of the Level 1 course etc... Please try to sum up 8 months of research into less than 50 words. :smile:

Right time to relay what I was told at applicant day.

There are to separate courses:
E1 and EPA

E1 is more of a theoretical course for people intending to go on and study economics in 2nd year.

EPA is more of an applied economics course that is more standalone for people doing economics in first year only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending