The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Trust me, I will have LOADS of questions once I know where I'm allocated.. :tongue:
But first thing's first: Fresher's fortnight.
Is this one week with the medics and then another with the rest of the uni or something (I seem to remember this written somewhere but idk where)?

I thought it was only a fortnightly thing at Plymouth.
Original post by OSharp
I thought it was only a fortnightly thing at Plymouth

I'm sure I remember there being something like a medic's freshers week and then a general one in Exeter or something like that
Then again I could have just made that up so anyone feel free to correct me.. :colondollar:
Reply 1442
Trust me, I will have LOADS of questions once I know where I'm allocated.. :tongue:
Is this one week with the medics and then another with the rest of the uni or something (I seem to remember this written somewhere but idk where)?

Also how many weeks do you need accommodation-wise?

Also budget-wise.. (excluding accommodation) how much do think you need a week to be okay.. i.e. cook most of the time, the occasional takeaway, a few good nights out etc shopping..

1.) Freshers fortnight is how you want it to be. You can do everything with medics, or nothing with medics, really doesn't matter. "Fortnight" is a bit of an understatement... Start of my uni, got there on 11th of September, spent until the 19th (pre-freshers) with flat/halls etc, then the official freshers started. Medic freshers is probably the best of the uni. Over the freshers fortnight had some pretty good events, but left enough time to spend with your flat and others. We had few nights out in oceana, booze cruise, bar crawls, fish and chips down the hoe, loads of fancy dress etc. These are all brilliant as you meet all the medics and from how its panned out these will probably be your best mates for the next few years! About 50-60% of the nights in the freshers fortnights are medsoc nights.. don't have to go on them but I would advice it! (I'm on the Medsoc committee for next year and we'll have some good stuff planned) After the two weeks freshers fortnight there's basically a post freshers... by then you're probably skint/knackered but I spent about half with flat/halls and half with medics. Can spend it how you want! From the 4 weeks of freshers I went out 27 out of 28 nights... definitely worth making the most of it!

2.) 40 weeks is fine.

3.) I have 60-65 a week which works pretty good. This is fine to be fair, I know people on 30-40 a week. For this I basically spend 30 on food (mostly cooking, maybe a wetherspoons or chinese or something in the week) then 20-30 on nights out (plym nights are cheap/ not too sure about exeter) then 5-10 on random impulse buys.. happens alot more than you would think! Take extra for freshers though. Blew through 700 in the 4 weeks.

Hope that helps!
Original post by snoz64
1.) Freshers fortnight is how you want it to be. You can do everything with medics, or nothing with medics, really doesn't matter. "Fortnight" is a bit of an understatement... Start of my uni, got there on 11th of September, spent until the 19th (pre-freshers) with flat/halls etc, then the official freshers started. Medic freshers is probably the best of the uni. Over the freshers fortnight had some pretty good events, but left enough time to spend with your flat and others. We had few nights out in oceana, booze cruise, bar crawls, fish and chips down the hoe, loads of fancy dress etc. These are all brilliant as you meet all the medics and from how its panned out these will probably be your best mates for the next few years! About 50-60% of the nights in the freshers fortnights are medsoc nights.. don't have to go on them but I would advice it! (I'm on the Medsoc committee for next year and we'll have some good stuff planned) After the two weeks freshers fortnight there's basically a post freshers... by then you're probably skint/knackered but I spent about half with flat/halls and half with medics. Can spend it how you want! From the 4 weeks of freshers I went out 27 out of 28 nights... definitely worth making the most of it!

2.) 40 weeks is fine.

3.) I have 60-65 a week which works pretty good. This is fine to be fair, I know people on 30-40 a week. For this I basically spend 30 on food (mostly cooking, maybe a wetherspoons or chinese or something in the week) then 20-30 on nights out (plym nights are cheap/ not too sure about exeter) then 5-10 on random impulse buys.. happens alot more than you would think! Take extra for freshers though. Blew through 700 in the 4 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot, it really does help :smile:

Also how many weeks do you need accommodation-wise?

Also budget-wise.. (excluding accomodation) how much do think you need a week to be okay.. i.e. cook most of the time, the occasional takeaway, a few good nights out etc shopping..

Basically What Snoz64 said above. ^

The only thing I could add is that Exeter uni freshers is only one week, but I think Medics move in a week earlier to have MedSoc Freshers. MedSoc in Exeter since last year has been far better than in the past, and I would assume the next committee will be just as good.

Plymouth MedSoc is far better because as a University and Student City - Plymouth has far more to offer, although either way you will have a fantastic first year.
Original post by Kanonoji

The town center...

It's a city... albeit a small one!
Reply 1446
Hey i found this on the internet whilst searching for the curriculum on peninsula and am totally freaked out!!!
Could someone who is at Peninsula at the moment please clear it up!!

http://truthaboutpeninsula.wordpress.com/

:smile: thankssssss!
Reply 1447
Original post by eesha_25
Hey i found this on the internet whilst searching for the curriculum on peninsula and am totally freaked out!!!

:eek:

what on earth.
Original post by eesha_25

Absolutely spectacular drivel.

Only 5% of each cohort tend to actually fail the year, not the dramatic 15% that article makes out. But there is no set fail rate for the entire year.

I will explain our assessment methods slightly better with less of a dramatic twist:

Year 1

Medical Knowledge

4x Applied Medical Knowledge Progress Tests

Spoiler

It is your aggregate on these tests that counts and not your individual performance. For example you can Unsatisfactory the first test, unsatisfactory the second test, borderline the third and pass the final AMK and still Pass the Medical Knowledge Module.

1 x End of Year 1 Knowledge Test

Candidates who have failed on aggregate on medical knowledge progress tests can pass the End of Year and still progress to year 2.

Clinical and Communication Skills
There are 4 Clinical Exams in year one all which must be passed within 3 attempts.

Personal and Professional Development

Through the course of Year 1 there are various Professionalism Judgements (from PBL, Clinical Skills, Jigsaw ect) totaling 9 judgements.

You must obtain no more than 2 judgements of unsatisfactory.

Student Selected Comopnent

There are 3 SSU projects to complete in year 1 the first of which is formative. You must pass the summative ones, and can remediate (retake) one if you receive unsatisfactory.

(edited 12 years ago)
Peninsula Curriculum FAQ

How many students have to resit a year or leave the programme at PMS?​

In the 2010/11 academic year, for those students who completed the assessment programme, 940 / 1014 (93%) students progressed to the next year of study or graduated. 56 (5.5%) failed the year and were given the opportunity to repeat. 12 (1.2%) failed and had to withdraw from the programme.

Why do we use the progress test at PMS?​

Spoiler

Why is the progress test norm-referenced - and norm-referencing fair on students?

Spoiler

Apparently campus allocations and confirmation packs are in the post and on the way guys!
Reply 1452
Apparently campus allocations and confirmation packs are in the post and on the way guys!

omg omg omg says whooo?
Reply 1453

Got the e-mail about the omitted form aye? :holmes:
Reply 1454
Original post by hopes
:eek:

what on earth.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

How did you come across this comedy gold ?

Carcinoma explained it pretty damn well.
Original post by Tobia_s
Got the e-mail about the omitted form aye? :holmes:

Sure did :ninjagirl:
Reply 1456

What! When! Who says?

EDIT: Scratch that, i Just read my emails.

SOOO EXCITED NOW!

EDIT 2:

Can someone help me. i seem to have received the letter attachment regarding Insurance and stuff but no actual student agreement.
Is that all I'm supposed to have?

EDIT 3:

Ok I didn't read the email properly. crisis averted.

So does anyone know when we will actually receive the campus allocations and things? must be soon if they're already in the post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1457
Original post by theatrical
It's a city... albeit a small one!

C'mon you telling me that when you go clubbing you've never said that you're going "town" ?

Spoiler

Original post by OSharp
What! When! Who says?

EDIT: Scratch that, i Just read my emails.

SOOO EXCITED NOW!

EDIT 2:

Can someone help me. i seem to have received the letter attachment regarding Insurance and stuff but no actual student agreement.
Is that all I'm supposed to have?

EDIT 3:

Ok I didn't read the email properly. crisis averted.

So does anyone know when we will actually receive the campus allocations and things? must be soon if they're already in the post.

I'm thinking a week at most..
I got my interview letter 5days after it was actually dated for example :ninjagirl:

...wow that sounded really sad
Reply 1459
I'm thinking a week at most..
I got my interview letter 5days after it was actually dated for example :ninjagirl:

...wow that sounded really sad

Hmm now you mention it i think mine was 2 or 3 days after it was dated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending