The Student Room Group

Right to buy scheme launched by the government

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Piko_Piko
Yes, this scheme results in the people who need help the least i.e. people who can afford a mortgage for a (albeit discounted) house getting on the property ladder. The problem I have is that fewer of the people in the greatest need will be able to get council housing.
If more council housing was being built I would have no problem with RTB.

I don't see how that follows. There'll be less council housing, but there'll be more people who were formerly in council housing in private housing, and many will move home into housing that was private all along, resulting in less empty private homes and more available council homes.
Original post by najinaji
I don't see how that follows. There'll be less council housing, but there'll be more people who were formerly in council housing in private housing, and many will move home into housing that was private all along, resulting in less empty private homes and more available council homes.

Short-ish term, yes, but this scheme will result in former council homes being owned by people who would have bought private housing anyway. The demand for council housing will increase, assuming an increasing population and a constant rate of need for social housing, while more council houses will not be built.
Reply 82
Original post by DynamicSyngery
No one ever disagreed with that. What you don't seem to understand is we're interested in relative, not absolute, quantities. It's possible for the quantity of houses to decrease and yet the number available to increase, if the demand is decreasing even faster. That's not what happens with right to buy, but there's no prima facie reason to expect any shortage to increase.

I look forward to them posting their comments.

Shelter is a lobby group, not an academic research institution.

lol :biggrin: You're not "an academic research institution" either. You're a fool.

The basic error in your assumptions has already been pointed out on this thread. You seem to think you're a bright lad - go find it.
and the demand is decreased by exactly the same amount!

But the demand DOES NOT decrease.
Original post by Piko_Piko
I thought your argument was that demand would decrease by 1, with the number of houses decreasing by 1. The demand couldn't decrease faster unless your lovely equation earlier missed an important variable (along with all it's other failings).

Did you even read the final sentence?

And what other failings?

Kibalchich
lol :biggrin: You're not "an academic research institution" either. You're a fool.

The basic error in your assumptions has already been pointed out on this thread. You seem to think you're a bright lad - go find it.

Is this the Deal Or Not Deal school of debate? "I have an argument somewhere, but I'm not going to tell you what it is!"

WelshBluebird
But the demand DOES NOT decrease.

???

Number of people demanding council houses isn't some sort of fixed constant of the universe that's totally unrelated to the number of people who already own their own house.

Number of people demanding council houses isn't some sort of fixed constant of the universe that's totally unrelated to the number of people who already own their own house.

Partly correct.
It isn't fixed. It increases.
Did you even read the final sentence??

I read the sentence, understood the sentence and disagreed with the sentence.

And what other failings?

LOL!

I'm done with you. You intentionally miss others' points, and your personality leaves a lot to be desired. I no longer care if you see my point or not.
Reply 87

Is this the Deal Or Not Deal school of debate? "I have an argument somewhere, but I'm not going to tell you what it is!"

Its me pointing out what a cock you are. You're so desperate to show off how clever you think you are and prove a particular idealogical point, that you made an idiotic assumption. One that someone else on this thread had already made and been corrected on.

Now, you obviously have an overinflated sense of your own cleverness, so I thought I'd pander to this and let you find the answer. However, you actually are as thick as I originally thought, so I'll tell you. You're assuming that no one ever dies or leaves council housing. By selling off council houses, the stock is being reduced. Stock that would eventually otherwise have been re-allocated when the original tenants die or move out.
Reply 88
I feel awful, guilty and selfish saying this...but I shouldn't feel that way, because everyone out there against this scheme would be holding out both hands if they'd had the opportunity to get a council house.

I'm in a council flat, about to swap for a house, and I'm GLAD for this scheme, as it means, in essence, I'm already on the property ladder. I did end up in council housing after going through a severely bad patch, and feel bad that I could deny that same opportunity to someone else, but the fact is that you have to do what you can to look after yourself and your own...end of. I've been slogging away at saving up for a deposit to buy my own place, and this will take years, but I already have the right to buy, and so in reality, from my own point of view, and perhaps rather selfishly, it makes more sense to just continue saving and then just buy the house outright. It will be nice to be mortgage/rent free before age 30, not many people have that opportunity and that is why there is such a huge outcry from people who have 'bought' (mortgagees are really renting from the bank!) their homes on the private market.

To be fair though, I do live in a fairly nice area so I would be seeing it as a long term home not just to sell up and make a profit. I want a permanent home and there's nothing wrong with that. I ended up where I am through circumstance though, and genuinely don't understand why people 'aspire' to a council house and make a fuss over it. Yes, the rent is a bit cheaper, etc, but seriously, who would want a council house over a house in a 'nice neighbourhood'? :/

Quick Reply

Latest