The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3540
Original post by Jin3011
Not at all. You should only firm a uni where you'd feel comfortable and happy spending 4 years of your life. So if you feel that way about Herts, then it's all that matters:h:.

just out of curiosity what made you choose herts. I have offers from kings and herts (and lsop) im thinking of having herts as insurance and cant decide my firm.
thought it'd be interesting to hear your reasons of choice? thanks
Reply 3541
Original post by katehelena
I think they said it would be after the easter break. So at least a two week wait :/

Ahh they're making us wait quite a bit, I just want to get it all over and done with :frown: Is it your first choice?
anyone got an offer from hertfordshire this week ?
Just firmed Bradford. Anyone else has?
Original post by Shanice.x
anyone got an offer from hertfordshire this week ?

Yea got a conditional offer from them.
Original post by RosePetal
Yea got a conditional offer from them.

what grade requirements are they asking for?
Hello everyone!!
I'm a 1st year at Reading Uni doing pharmacy.. anyone have any questions about reading or about the course, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by DilbaghGill
Hello everyone!!
I'm a 1st year at Reading Uni doing pharmacy.. anyone have any questions about reading or about the course, feel free to ask :smile:

how are you finding the course? How intensive is it? :h: thanks
Original post by Shanice.x
what grade requirements are they asking for?

ABB
Reply 3549
Original post by hollybanolly
Not to worry:smile: Yeah, I live only an hour away on the train so it's handy. Yes, I got an offer from Bath yay! But I don't know which to choose between Cardiff and Bath! I'm really stuck! What made you choose Cardiff? Because you're nearby? :smile:

Yeah, because I want to be close to home :smile: plus I really like the fact its not a campus uni, and is right in the city :smile:
Hello everyone!!

Hi there! i put reading as my insurance!

Do the teaching staff give enough support? Do you like the course - topics and modules ? Is the student life good? How intense are your timetables?

Apart from that, i must say i was genuinely impressed with Reading, the new Hopkins lab has got to be one of the best labs I have ever seen. It's so clean and spacious! The facilities are good and the campus was lovely :smile:

To be honest, I don't mind whether I get UEA or Reading. Both are equally good in my opinion (for pharmacy)
Original post by Doctor.
how are you finding the course? How intensive is it? :h: thanks

The course is really good. I really enjoy it because it brings the right amount of biology and chemistry together. First yr is basically repeating most of A level stuff, but there is some new stuff too..

It's really interesting too, mostly just science! There are a few modules which are more pharmacy specific (pharmacy practice, designing drugs, and pharmaceutics)

It is hard in terms of workload because they cover a lot of work (typically 2 weeks of school work in 1 lecture).. so you really need to be ontop of assigments/coursework..

Also first year is no different from any other science course, e.g. i have a friend at imperial doing biomedical/medicine who is doing practically the same stuff as me.. infact i have more modules! (so pharmacy is intense but it's do-able)
Original post by James A
Hi there! i put reading as my insurance!

Do the teaching staff give enough support? Do you like the course - topics and modules ? Is the student life good? How intense are your timetables?

Apart from that, i must say i was genuinely impressed with Reading, the new Hopkins lab has got to be one of the best labs I have ever seen. It's so clean and spacious! The facilities are good and the campus was lovely :smile:

To be honest, I don't mind whether I get UEA or Reading. Both are equally good in my opinion (for pharmacy)

Hello There..

The Staff really are very supportive, there are loads of tutorials/ extra workshop classes so you can keep asking for help.

We have 8 modules the first yr:
- Human physiology
- Genetics
- Biochemistry/metabolism
- Microbiology
- Cellular Biology/Living cell
- Drug Design & Synthesis: Organic chem
- Physiochemical principles of pharmacy/pharmaceutics
- Pharmacy pratice.

Only the last 2 on the list is solely for pharmacy students, the other 6 are those in which you'd share lectures with biomedical science students, biochemists, zoologists etc.

Also there are some exams which MUST be passed at a certain %.. but the uni are very good as they prepare you really well, and also give loads of chances for re-taking e.g. a pharmaceutical calculations exam which needs to be passed at 70% to get into 2nd yr - but you have like 4 attempts at it and so many workshops to go to.

Also most of our exams end of 1st year are MCQ, so it makes life a little easier..

The student life is really good, loads of societies to join and the uni itself is very active..so there are always people walking around campus promoting stuff..There are loads of places on campus to eat, everything very close to each other..e.g. library and lecture rooms etc.

There is always something or the other happening at reading uni interms of activites :smile:
(mind you, I hardly joined any societies because i didn't have time as pharmacy is quite intense)

The timetable was tough during first semester, because it was mostly 9am starts with finshes as late as 6pm, but its always a rotating timetable.. as in you may have a tough week with practicals, but the following week will be more relaxed as a different group will do the practicals. BUT you do get 1 day off, e.g. i had wednesdays off for the first term so it was a good mid-week break!!

Also the people are really nice.. students and staff are very helpful.

Good luck!! :smile:
The course is really good. I really enjoy it because it brings the right amount of biology and chemistry together. First yr is basically repeating most of A level stuff, but there is some new stuff too..

It's really interesting too, mostly just science! There are a few modules which are more pharmacy specific (pharmacy practice, designing drugs, and pharmaceutics)

It is hard in terms of workload because they cover a lot of work (typically 2 weeks of school work in 1 lecture).. so you really need to be ontop of assigments/coursework..

Also first year is no different from any other science course, e.g. i have a friend at imperial doing biomedical/medicine who is doing practically the same stuff as me.. infact i have more modules! (so pharmacy is intense but it's do-able)

Ah thanks for that :smile:. Really just want to know what I'm getting myself in form before I start the course lol

Sounds like a great course too! Science is nice :h:
Hello There..

The Staff really are very supportive, there are loads of tutorials/ extra workshop classes so you can keep asking for help.

We have 8 modules the first yr:
- Human physiology
- Genetics
- Biochemistry/metabolism
- Microbiology
- Cellular Biology/Living cell
- Drug Design & Synthesis: Organic chem
- Physiochemical principles of pharmacy/pharmaceutics
- Pharmacy pratice.

Only the last 2 on the list is solely for pharmacy students, the other 6 are those in which you'd share lectures with biomedical science students, biochemists, zoologists etc.

Also there are some exams which MUST be passed at a certain %.. but the uni are very good as they prepare you really well, and also give loads of chances for re-taking e.g. a pharmaceutical calculations exam which needs to be passed at 70% to get into 2nd yr - but you have like 4 attempts at it and so many workshops to go to.

Also most of our exams end of 1st year are MCQ, so it makes life a little easier..

The student life is really good, loads of societies to join and the uni itself is very active..so there are always people walking around campus promoting stuff..There are loads of places on campus to eat, everything very close to each other..e.g. library and lecture rooms etc.

There is always something or the other happening at reading uni interms of activites :smile:
(mind you, I hardly joined any societies because i didn't have time as pharmacy is quite intense)

The timetable was tough during first semester, because it was mostly 9am starts with finshes as late as 6pm, but its always a rotating timetable.. as in you may have a tough week with practicals, but the following week will be more relaxed as a different group will do the practicals. BUT you do get 1 day off, e.g. i had wednesdays off for the first term so it was a good mid-week break!!

Also the people are really nice.. students and staff are very helpful.

Ah, thats really cool! You must have met some good friends! I've always wanted to be part of some societies but as you said, i might not have the time because of the intensity of the pharmacy course......

What's the practicals like? Is it team working practicals, I'm assuming some are haha.

The practicals must be based on things like synthesising asprin, paracetamol etc?

I GREATLY appreciate the time you take to answer the questions I have!! Thanks :biggrin:
Hello There..

How difficult is the subject content from A-level to uni? How do you find the maths aspect of pharmacy?

Thanks
Reply 3556
Original post by GraemeLawd
I'm going to Queen's too!! Well as long as I get my A in Chemistry :P

We could be in the same class:biggrin: I hope u get ur A in chem:smile: Good luck!
Reply 3557
Hello everyone!!

If you could go back in time one year is there anything you would have different before starting or at the beginning of the course?
Original post by danaxx94
Who else has firmed UCL ? :biggrin: xx

mee :smile: Do you already live in London?
Reply 3559
Does anybody ever hear something from UCL??
I still haven't heard anything:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest