The Student Room Group

MyProtein

My protein is one of, if not, the cheapest brands for protein. I was wondering if it is significantly worse than maximuscle or relfex etc. or if it's just that myprotein have smaller profit margins.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
protein is protein.

buy the cheapest you can.
Reply 2
gayyy
It's all protein, brah. Maximuscle is more expensive because it's a well known brand name. MyProtein does all its business online, giving it smaller overheads, allowing them to sell you the product at a lower price and still make the same profit.
Protein is protien. Maximuscle is covered in athletes and fancy packaging, thats what you pay for.
Reply 5
I've been using their products for a long time and will continue to do so. Their products may not be as high quality as other brands, but for the prices they offer it is definitely worth it.
As people have said protien is protien. If it says 25g of protien per scoop no matter what brand, you'll still be getting 25g of protien per scoop.
Reply 7
Original post by thirstysailor
My protein is one of, if not, the cheapest brands for protein. I was wondering if it is significantly worse than maximuscle or relfex etc. or if it's just that myprotein have smaller profit margins.

Cheers

I was scepticle too.
However, i have purchased chocolate smooth Impact Whey Protein and it is great! A good amount of protein and it tastes fantastic with milk!
Regarding the MyProtein referrer discount codes - do they only work once? As in, you can only get your first order with 5% off and after that you have to pay full price?
Reply 9
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Regarding the MyProtein referrer discount codes - do they only work once? As in, you can only get your first order with 5% off and after that you have to pay full price?

Yeah, they're for the first order only.
Original post by rlw31
Yeah, they're for the first order only.

Thanks. Pain in the bum, since my first order is only gonna be a handful of samples :sigh: Don't suppose you can buy MyProtein samples anywhere else?
Reply 11
Thanks. Pain in the bum, since my first order is only gonna be a handful of samples :sigh: Don't suppose you can buy MyProtein samples anywhere else?

No, but if it's worth the trouble I guess you could set up another account with them using a different email address (and payment details?) and then you could use a code again.
Original post by rlw31
No, but if it's worth the trouble I guess you could set up another account with them using a different email address (and payment details?) and then you could use a code again.

I do have a credit card that expires soon, and a variety of postal addresses to choose from. Might be a plan :colone: Just bugs me to waste a discount on nothing when I know I'll be buying more stuff later once I pick a flavour. Cheers for the help.
Reply 13
I do have a credit card that expires soon, and a variety of postal addresses to choose from. Might be a plan :colone: Just bugs me to waste a discount on nothing when I know I'll be buying more stuff later once I pick a flavour. Cheers for the help.

Yeah, if you've already got different accounts to use and you know you'll save a bit on your first 'proper' order than I'd say it's worth it.
it does the job you body can only digest a certain amount of protein anyways
Original post by Alux
protein is protein.

buy the cheapest you can.

This isn't true tbh. Protein is not "protein".

You have isolate, concentrate and hydrolyzed. Isolate is the highest quality and the purest form, concentrate is good but you lose some of the quality when you use it, hydrolyzed is, iirc, poor quality and is the stuff that's in really cheap protein powders and is why it tastes horrible. You need to decide on your goal then choose one accordingly, looking at the ingrediants.

Someone more knowledgeable is welcome to come through and correct me but that's basically what I understand to be true. FTR, I use MyProtein whey concentrate.
Original post by Wilfred Little
This isn't true tbh. Protein is not "protein".

You have isolate, concentrate and hydrolyzed. Isolate is the highest quality and the purest form, concentrate is good but you lose some of the quality when you use it, hydrolyzed is, iirc, poor quality and is the stuff that's in really cheap protein powders and is why it tastes horrible. You need to decide on your goal then choose one accordingly, looking at the ingrediants.

Someone more knowledgeable is welcome to come through and correct me but that's basically what I understand to be true. FTR, I use MyProtein whey concentrate.

Congratulations, you have fallen for the typical marketing BS.

The difference between isolate and concentrate is miniscule. Isolate is slightly 'higher quality' and easier to digest however concentrate is already a high quality protein which is relatively easy to digest. Isolate may be slightly higher in protein and slightly lower in fat and lactose but we are talking about a couple of grams here and there. Unless you're lactose intolerant you aren't going to notice the difference.

As for hydrosylate it is hydrolysed to aid digestion and absorption but again whey is already rapidly digested and absorbed.

The only noticeable difference is that isolate and hydrosylate will cost you significantly more than concentrate. Anybody claiming that they get significantly better results with isolate or hydrosylate is either deluded or connected to the supplement companies in some way.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Congratulations, you have fallen for the typical marketing BS.

The difference between isolate and concentrate is miniscule. Isolate is slightly 'higher quality' and easier to digest however concentrate is already a high quality protein which is relatively easy to digest. Isolate may be slightly higher in protein and slightly lower in fat and lactose but we are talking about a couple of grams here and there. Unless you're lactose intolerant you aren't going to notice the difference.

As for hydrosylate it is hydrolysed to aid digestion and absorption but again whey is already rapidly digested and absorbed.

The only noticeable difference is that isolate and hydrosylate will cost you significantly more than concentrate. Anybody claiming that they get significantly better results with isolate or hydrosylate is either deluded or connected to the supplement companies in some way.

So there's a difference then :rolleyes: which means "protein is protein" is not correct and you shouldn't just buy the cheapest, and yes if you can change your protein powder and notice results then your diet isn't good enough. You telling me you should go to Holland & Barrett's and buy a £10 tub of protein loaded with sugar though? Stop trying to assert your masculinity on every gym related thread. You come across as the guy in the gym who watches someone do a squat with 100kg, then goes up, puts 100kg on the barbell plus another 10kg just to show that your manhood is that bit gurthier than the previous squatter. This is why I avoid the gym section on here and post on BB instead, too many guys trying to prove they know more than everyone else.

The crux of my post was:

- There is a difference
- You shouldn't just buy the cheapest protein powder

Seriously chill out. I said someone more knowledgable is more than welcome to come through and correct me if I'm wrong, your post just had aggressive undertones typical of an over-eager "look at me" gymgoer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
There is potentially an issue with the milk used to make the whey. I doubt many whey producers are using the highest quality.

I reckon at some point there will be a panarama style programme which uncovers the protein industry and it will turn out that we have all been consuming whey made from the milk of unhealthy cows, full of growth hormone, raised on chemical soaked fields or whatever.

But there is nothing to say that cheaper whey producers like MP will be any more or less involved in that kind of thing than the expensive brands.
Original post by Wilfred Little
So there's a difference then :rolleyes: which means "protein is protein" is not correct and you shouldn't just buy the cheapest, and yes if you can change your protein powder and notice results then your diet isn't good enough.

If you want to be pedantic yes there is a difference but it is too small to be consequential or significantly benefit your progress. Please go and look at the evidence (or lack thereof) if you don't believe me.

The supplement manufacturers make far more money by exploiting the ignorant and selling them ineffectual and overpriced products with pseudoscience than they ever do selling cheap, tried and tested whey concentrate.

You telling me you should go to Holland & Barrett's and buy a £10 tub of protein loaded with sugar though?

Completely different argument.

This isn't an issue of protein quality but rather protein supplements diluted/bulked up with sugars. The core ingredient of the vast majority of protein supplements is the same - whey concentrate.

Stop trying to assert your masculinity on every gym related thread. You come across as the guy in the gym who watches someone do a squat with 100kg, then goes up, puts 100kg on the barbell plus another 10kg just to show that your manhood is that bit gurthier than the previous squatter. This is why I avoid the gym section on here and post on BB instead, too many guys trying to prove they know more than everyone else.

The crux of my post was:

- There is a difference
- You shouldn't just buy the cheapest protein powder

Seriously chill out. I said someone more knowledgable is more than welcome to come through and correct me if I'm wrong, your post just had aggressive undertones typical of an over-eager "look at me" gymgoer.

If you cannot take criticism think long and hard before you post and drop the stereotypes, aggression and waffle about masculinity. Take a long hard look at yourself, you are the one who needs to chill out.

Quick Reply

Latest