The Student Room Group

Anyone else feeling bored & fed up of GCSEs?

I'm in year 11, and just feeling fed up of school :frown: I can't get the motivation to revise, and am just sick of doing subjects I don't care about :/

Can't wait until sixth form, where I won't have to do so many subjects and none that I hate :biggrin:

Anyone else feeling this way?

Scroll to see replies

No, GCSE's are nothing compared to A-Level (from what I have heard)

Your workload increases dramatically in Sixth Form and your future may rely on how well you do at Sixth Form.
And anyway, who says revision is fun; I mean, who gets up one day and says that they can't wait to revise?
Reply 2
Yea, i agree with you to some extent. I'm going to be glad to "quit" the subjects that i don't like.

It's not even because they're hard, just that some of the subjects i really have no intrest in.
Okay, workload will increase in Sixth form, but if you are doing subjects you have a real intrest in revision, hopefully it will seem less of a chore. That's how i feel anyway....
Yeah, I can't wait to drop subjects I hate. The subjects I'm taking next year I have an interest in therefore I'm not really worried about a bigger workload, as I enjoy them
Reply 4
A good way to motivate might be to give yourself goals and rewards (short and long-term). e.g. I have to get A*-C to get into this college... Think about the end result!!

Good Luck!! :smile:
Reply 5
You're gonna be missing GCSEs in a few months...
Reply 6
I'm in year 11, however I took all my GCSES in year 10. I remember feeling exactly how you describe back then. I took extra sciences (I am a more of a humanities person rather than sciences yet took them for University credit ect) and I remember how tedious I found these, especially when it came to revising for them when I had little interest in these subjects (especially in Chemistry and Biology) and was relieved when I could finally take the exam and finish with it all.

Although I loved taking history GCSE (Nazi Germany), the simplicity of the level allowed me to read beyond the GCSE level (into A-Level + standard) and I enjoyed this and learnt absolutely loads enabling me to get 100% in the actual exam. Hopefully when I start AS history (as well as my other subjects) this will continue and I will not feel the same lack of motivation that I did when studying maths and sciences at GCSE.
YES.

I won't miss the easiness of GCSEs as some seem to think because I ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK AND GET ON WITH LIFE.

Roll on Y12!
Reply 8
Original post by Happy-Turtle
No, GCSE's are nothing compared to A-Level (from what I have heard)

Your workload increases dramatically in Sixth Form and your future may rely on how well you do at Sixth Form.
And anyway, who says revision is fun; I mean, who gets up one day and says that they can't wait to revise?

A level was a breeze up until revision. I did much more revision for my A levels than GCSE but less work in between... at least I think... the more you like your subjects, the easier it is to revise and retain the information!
Good riddance to GCSE, I'm in 6th Form and I'm bloody ecstatic I'll never have to do Maths or Chemistry again.
I feel the same as the OP.

For me, work isn't important if I like the subject. Like English Lit, I don't care about the work because it interests me, the same for science but put me in Dance or Business and I can't be bothered. Even though I did the GCSE for business in year 10 and got A*A.
Reply 11
I had mock in December which I did well in but now im sick of revision ill start next week Monday
Original post by brightbulb
I'm in year 11, and just feeling fed up of school :frown: I can't get the motivation to revise, and am just sick of doing subjects I don't care about :/

Can't wait until sixth form, where I won't have to do so many subjects and none that I hate :biggrin:

Anyone else feeling this way?

lol, trust me, come this time next year, you'll hate college too!
I said this this time last year.

YOU WILL ALL MISS GCSES IGNORANT YEAR 11s.

IB and A Levels are DIFFICULT.
You are spoonfed the work you need and need to regurgitate information to do well. Sixth form level is MUCH MUCH MUCH more independent. More time consuming and more difficult.
Reply 14
Lol at the people saying that we're going to miss GCSEs because A levels are difficult. GCSEs are that boring that a significant number of us have already began to self-teach past our curriculum.

Original post by Blob2491
You're gonna be missing GCSEs in a few months...

I highly doubt that I'll miss the subjects that I dislike, when I can go into more detail about the subjects that I enjoy.

Original post by Calllu-m

YOU WILL ALL MISS GCSES IGNORANT YEAR 11s.

Strong.

You are spoonfed the work you need and need to regurgitate information to do well.

You say that like it's a good thing.

Sixth form level is MUCH MUCH MUCH more independent. More time consuming and more difficult.

You say the underlined like it's a bad thing.
Reply 15
I wish some of these pompous year 12s would bug off the GCSE forum. I wonder whether all this about how Alevels are 1000000 X harder is to put us off or compensate for their own fault in their Alevels.
I also cannot wait to be done with GCSE's. For one, I cannot wait to get rid of the subjects which I do not enjoy. Two, I find the subjects that I enjoy too easy at GCSE, and cannot wait to study them in further detail (which I have already started doing on my own).

I would much rather do 5 subjects which I enjoy which are very difficult, rather than 10 subjects where I hate half of them, and the ones I do enjoy begin to become boring through how easy they are.

Roll on College. I can't wait. I also don't mind hard work. I've always worked hard in everything that I do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by burgerrr
I wish some of these pompous year 12s would bug off the GCSE forum. I wonder whether all this about how Alevels are 1000000 X harder is to put us off or compensate for their own fault in their Alevels.

It's a public forum.
Don't know anybody that said they are 1000000x harder. That would be practically impossible.
I laugh at the ignorance of the young.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Besakt
It's a public forum.
Don't know anybody that said they are 1000000x harder. That would be practically impossible.
I laugh at the ignorance of the young.

Interpreting exaggeration literally...

Who's ignorant now?
I agree with the OP. I know work will get harder at A-level, more time has to be put in for revision etc. etc. but at the end of the day doing tedious GCSEs that I don't have any interest in is a de-motivator in itself.
I'm actually looking forward to work getting harder for the A-levels that I'm interested in!

Quick Reply

Latest