The Student Room Group

Dental Students: Tooth Morphology?

Hi all, I am really struggling learning certain aspects of tooth morphology (i.e. telling the difference between upper and lower, and left and right).
Does anyone know of any good online resources? Or a decent textbook?
I've had a look at a fair few things on the net but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Reply 1
Original post by Alex_and_er
Hi :smile: Just to point out I'm not a dental student (yet!) but I came across this ages ago - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/dental/Oroface/TEETH/choice.html# , no idea how I came across it but it is supposed to be for public use (see disclaimer at the bottom).

Worth a shot, it may help you, sorry if it doesn't!

Hey, thanks but I've already seen that resource and I might be being totally dumb but it's not helping me differentiate between uppers and lowers and left and right lol.

Ah you have all of this to look forward to when you start :biggrin:
Reply 2
Erm yes you are being dumb, sorry. the leeds site is excellent. You should have no issue in uppers or lowers, do the tests and make sure you know one feature for each tooth to know upper from lower. Then know one feature to tell left from right and then one more to know if its a 1st second, lat or central.

Left from right is easy for posteriors you should know which cusp is taller. Knowing first from seconds is a little more challenging. Using the leeds site I was so much stronger when I practiced with real teeth. Don't panic I was crap at morphology early on but you only learn it by testing yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by denture1
Erm yes you are being dumb, sorry. the leeds site is excellent. You should have no issue in uppers or lowers, do the tests and make sure you know one feature for each tooth to know upper from lower. Then know one feature to tell left from right and then one more to know if its a 1st second, lat or central.

The thing is, it all seems fine when I'm reading through the site. But the moment I look at the teeth (we've been given a set of real teeth to identify) I have no idea!

Left from right is easy for posteriors you should know which cusp is taller. Knowing first from seconds is a little more challenging. Using the leeds site I was so much stronger when I practiced with real teeth. Don't panic I was crap at morphology early on but you only learn it by testing yourself.

Yeah I can tell left from right for molars and central incisors but that's about it :s-smilie:
I suppose I've not been working at it for that long and am feeling rather hopeless, I'll just carry on :smile:
Does it get into your head fairly easily? I've been feeling rather frustrated with this, as it's the only thing I'm really struggling with and I feel stupid because I'm going to be a dentist and can't even identify teeth atm. And I'm scared I won't learn it all quickly enough for my exam next month :frown:
Reply 4
I was hopeless at real teeth, then I worked on the leeds site each tooth reading their notes, then doing the test sections. The next time I had real teeth in the lab I was 10x faster then previous attempts. You must create some formula for you for each type of tooth, get all the tests on the leeds site correct then you'll be better with real teeth. You will always strugle with lower centrals and lats, at glasgow they don't test you on those as they are difficult for anyone to decide espcially with some attrition.

Quick Reply

Latest