The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by AS01
thanx that helped a lot. by the way the results that I got is of first module exam for physics. So i guess if i work really hard to get very high A on physics then it might pull me to average A and then I might drop Physics next year. Do you think that if I do so then I will not be considered as student who retook a module and my overall grade will be A on physics.

What grade did you get? :smile: If you work hard and pull up your overall grade to an A by doing well in the next module then you won't be considered as retaking a module so good idea. However if you feel like you can't achieve enough to pull up the overall grade to an A, I'd recommend retaking that first module. I'm sure they'd prefer a retaken module to get an A than a final grade at a B with no retakes.
Just get as many As as possible.

Remember than Oxford have very high standards for GCSEs - an application with less than 80%A* would be ill-advised.

Original post by lsaul95
Oxford
University of Oxford, The Coordinator for Admissions, University of Oxford Medical School, Oxford, OX1 3RE, Tel: 01865 285783
admissions enquiries, general enquiries
UCAS Institution Code: O33 (OXF); UCAS Course Code: A100
Entrance Exam: BMAT
A-levels: Minimum of 3 subjects. Chemistry plus at least one of Biology, Physics or Maths required. Typical Offer AAA
Resit policy: "People who re-take their GCSEs or A-levels are qualified to apply to our course but will be in competition with a large number of candidates who passed at a high level at the first attempt. Candidates who are re-taking their A-levels will on average have a lower chance of being offered a place. Nevertheless, we recognize that students sometimes fail to achieve their potential on first attempt at school because of circumstances beyond their control."
GCSEs: Grade A minimum in Biology, Physics and Maths where not offered at A-level. A broad range of GCSEs including science and art subjects are expected. On average, applicants hold around 70% of GCSEs grades at A*.
IB: Chemistry and another science and/or math must be taken at HL. HL expectations are 766 and with a total score ranging between 38-40 points.

I think that means the whole A level though, I'm sure if you are just re-taking a module then that will be fine, however don't quote me on that because I'm not exactly sure :smile:

That statement is more for re-taking the entire a-level, i believe.
Reply 142
Original post by nexttime

Remember than Oxford have very high standards for GCSEs - an application with less than 80%A* would be ill-advised.

I thought it was, hence why I made that little comment at the bottom. Wasn't 100% sure though so thanks for clearing it up for me :biggrin:
Reply 143
Original post by lsaul95
What grade did you get? :smile: If you work hard and pull up your overall grade to an A by doing well in the next module then you won't be considered as retaking a module so good idea. However if you feel like you can't achieve enough to pull up the overall grade to an A, I'd recommend retaking that first module. I'm sure they'd prefer a retaken module to get an A than a final grade at a B with no retakes.

dats true too. I have to think about it.
Reply 144
Original post by lsaul95

I got A in chemistry(120/120), biology(81/90), Core mathematics (99/100) and B in physics (88/120);96/120 was an A will be sitting for further maths this time.
Reply 145

so Oxford takes my GCSE grades quite seriously? do you think that its easier to get into Oxford than Cambridge?
Original post by AS01
so Oxford takes my GCSE grades quite seriously? do you think that its easier to get into Oxford than Cambridge?

Depends on the applicant's profile - you need great GCSEs for Oxford, great UMS for Cambridge.

Overall, Oxford has close to twice as many applicants per place though, so if its a difficult decision, probably Cambridge. Or, of course, you can apply to neither.
Reply 147
[QUOTE="nexttime;36865952"]Depends on the applicant's profile - you need great GCSEs for Oxford, great UMS for Cambridge.

Overall, Oxford has close to twice as many applicants per place though, so if its a difficult decision, probably Cambridge. Or, of course, you can apply to neither.[/QUOTE

Guess I should better apply to Oxford and applying to neither is good idea too. I don't have to worry about these stuff but just want to give it a shot.:smile:

how about 77%, pretty please ?
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and I've been looking at the open days in June. Do people generally stay in one college open day for the whole day, or do you go to quite a few and move around?

Also, are some colleges 'easier' to get into? As I've heard that you should be weary playing the 'numbers' game, but I was just wondering whether there are some really oversubscribed colleges to watch out for, as I'd like to maximise my chances of getting an interview/offer. Do any colleges specifically put less emphasis on the BMAT?
There's plenty of time to see a bunch of colleges on the open day, but you will get a better tour at most colleges if you book in advance, I think.

The admissions are so central nowadays that it really doesn't matter where you apply.
Reply 151
Original post by StaedtlerNoris
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and I've been looking at the open days in June. Do people generally stay in one college open day for the whole day, or do you go to quite a few and move around?

Also, are some colleges 'easier' to get into? As I've heard that you should be weary playing the 'numbers' game, but I was just wondering whether there are some really oversubscribed colleges to watch out for, as I'd like to maximise my chances of getting an interview/offer. Do any colleges specifically put less emphasis on the BMAT?

It really doesn't matter which college you apply for, it won't affect your chances of getting in whatsoever, according to one of the medical admissions staff. To maximise your chances of getting an interview just focus on work experience, personal statement and AS grades :smile:
Reply 152
Original post by StaedtlerNoris

I guess its better to apply to colleges that established quite recently as compared to others. The one which started quite recently is I guess on 1963 (St. Catherine's) I know this is not quite recent but its the youngest one as compared to other colleges.:biggrin:
Hi, I guess this isn't as much about the application to Oxford medicine, but I was wondering, what is the general workload like? Do you get many essays a week? Around how much free time per week?

And what is the system of examination at Oxford? Is it an essay based exam, online exam, etc? I'm just worried that even if I do get an offer (which is unlikely anyway), I'm not sure how strenuous it would be and whether I'd be able to cope :/
Anyone else despise third year? :unimpressed:
Original post by Calumcalum

By this time of the year, i doubt there are any left that don't!
not rating neuro then?
Original post by Calumcalum

Which option?

Does anyone have any comments on MVR? That's the one I'm leaning towards now.
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Which option?

Does anyone have any comments on MVR? That's the one I'm leaning towards now.

Neuro. I thought all of them would be pretty terrible, but neuro at least tolerable. Even that has turned out to be horrible too, though... have fun!
Yea, also leaning towards Neuro, though I had considered MVR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending