The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vaughn_
The Bled are amazing =]

Anyone like death metal/metal core bands?

ME!
New single from Soundgarden supposedly debuting on Radio 1 this evening. Although that does mean having to stomach Zane Lowe for a potential 2 hours.
Original post by thecrimsonidol
Recently got tickets for 2 Guns N' Roses shows next month :biggrin: (Nottingham and Birmingham). Gonna be a damn good end-of-uni present for myself. (Alas, Download is proving unaffordable for me right now)

Nice one mate, who's in the band these days? I really should know but I didn't pay as much attention to Chinese Democracy as I should.

Original post by Mushi_master
Also, Meshuggah next week in Bristol, cannot wait.

I'm guessing they'll be playing a lot of stuff from Koloss, enjoy man :headbang:
Original post by Converse Rocker
Nice one mate, who's in the band these days? I really should know but I didn't pay as much attention to Chinese Democracy as I should.

Same lineup as they've had for a while now - Axl, Dizzy Reed (Keyboards), Tommy Stinson (Bass), DJ Ashba, Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal and Richard Fortus (Guitars), Frank Ferrer (Drums) and Chris Pittman (Keyboards)

Chinese Democracy is a solid record, sounds a lot like an Axl solo album really, but if you like songs like November Rain, Estranged e.t.c. you'll like it. Very much a continuation of the Use Your Illusion albums

Kvlt as fvck :headbang:
RIP Jim Marshall, I feel we can all get behind that regardless of what specifics we enjoy.
Reply 6386
Original post by ManBeast
New single from Soundgarden supposedly debuting on Radio 1 this evening. Although that does mean having to stomach Zane Lowe for a potential 2 hours.

Thought it was pretty good. Chris has said the album will be a lot heavier/weirder more traditional sg, as he had to write live to rise specifically for the film as a song from the album didn't fit. Kim's solo is sick but overall its more like a euphoria morning song.
Original post by fnm
Thought it was pretty good. Chris has said the album will be a lot heavier/weirder more traditional sg, as he had to write live to rise specifically for the film as a song from the album didn't fit. Kim's solo is sick but overall its more like a euphoria morning song.

Yeah I wasn't too fussed on the first listen but after a while I got into it. The vocals didn't really sound too much like Soundgarden, especially when you go and listen to Down on the Upside imo. A lot of people said they solo was typical Soundgarden but I disagree. The song doesn't sound like anything the band have done before but its still good.

Glad it won't be on the album though. Amazing Soundgarden could give everyone what they wanted (to hear new music) without giving any content away from the new album!
Reply 6388
Original post by ManBeast
Yeah I wasn't too fussed on the first listen but after a while I got into it. The vocals didn't really sound too much like Soundgarden, especially when you go and listen to Down on the Upside imo. A lot of people said they solo was typical Soundgarden but I disagree. The song doesn't sound like anything the band have done before but its still good.

Glad it won't be on the album though. Amazing Soundgarden could give everyone what they wanted (to hear new music) without giving any content away from the new album!

Exactly. I think the album will be a lot more typically weird/dark/with odd time sigs as Chris said a song on the album wouldn't fit the film. Plus he said it'd please hardcore fans. Good to see another SG fan btw!!
Well Live to Rise sounds exactly like what I'd expect a superhero movie soundtrack song to sound like, nothing else that Soundgarden has written would be able to fit such a movie.
Original post by Serentonin
Anyone going bloodstock?

I'm tempted. Dunno if there's enough bands I really would love to see to warrant me going, though. I'll probably decide when they announce the Saturday headliner. If it's Meshuggah or someone like that I might be tempted if I have the money.
Who else is going to Boltfest tomorrow? I can't wait, after all my assignments, and putting up with my housemates, I'm looking forward to it so much. Also going home for easter as well, so getting the train back, dropping my stuff off, then back into London.

Benediction, Bolt Thrower, and AUTOPSY!
I should probably start listening to more of the "classic death metal" bands like that. Bolt Thrower are decent but what I've heard of them is extremely limited.

In other news, new Burzum sucks, according to RYM.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/burzum/umskiptar/
Original post by Obfuscator
I dunno, He seems to use the same few chord progressions in every song. I know it's not his intention to make varied music, but really to me this sounds pretty much the same as Fallen...

Yeah. Instead of releasing the past 3 albums (not including From the Depths of Darkness, which was just pointless) he shoulda just released one album's worth of good material, because, at a push, that's what they have between them.

The new pictures are pretty funny though, so I guess he wins points there.

WW2 CROSSBOWCOMBAT VIKING VARG TO CHILDern

behind a tree 6___6

I heard a track and didn't like it one bit.

And yeah, BT are a band I don't know too well, but Benediction and Autopsy I really like. Discharge are on the bill too, but I don't know them very well.
Just got the new God Forbid, Orange Goblin and Corrosion of Conformity albums yesterday. Good stuff all 3 :biggrin:
Original post by concubine
Yeah. Instead of releasing the past 3 albums (not including From the Depths of Darkness, which was just pointless) he shoulda just released one album's worth of good material, because, at a push, that's what they have between them.

The new pictures are pretty funny though, so I guess he wins points there.

WW2 CROSSBOWCOMBAT VIKING VARG TO CHILDern

behind a tree 6___6

Pahahahaha brilliant
lost my tickets for boltfest, spent 2 hours solid looking
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
lost my tickets for boltfest, spent 2 hours solid looking

DID YOU FIND THEM? :frown: That must be horrible.

Also, I think there's about 70 minutes of good music across Belus and Fallen (although I haven't heard Umpitskar, if that's how you spell it, yet), so I'd say two albums, but not two slightly overlong albums like those two.

I've got a few gigs coming up over the next few months; Paradise Lost, Insomnium and Vreid in a couple of weeks (none of them are personal favourites, but it's nice to not have to spend £20 on trains in addition to ticket prices), Diamond ****ING Head (although I've heard they're a little washed up now) in July and Bloodstock.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
DID YOU FIND THEM? :frown: That must be horrible.

Also, I think there's about 70 minutes of good music across Belus and Fallen (although I haven't heard Umpitskar, if that's how you spell it, yet), so I'd say two albums, but not two slightly overlong albums like those two.

I've got a few gigs coming up over the next few months; Paradise Lost, Insomnium and Vreid in a couple of weeks (none of them are personal favourites, but it's nice to not have to spend £20 on trains in addition to ticket prices), Diamond ****ING Head (although I've heard they're a little washed up now) in July and Bloodstock.

No I didn't. Sitting in ****ty Slough knowing Autopsy are playing. So much bad luck lately, not fair. Autopsy are probably my favourite DM band, and there won't be a lineup as good as that for a long time. :frown:

Latest