The Student Room Group

Tobacco displays to be banned in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chloe xxx
The anti-booze brigade is out in force I see.

The two are not comparable at all. Alcohol is nowhere near as addictive as tobacco and doesnt cause as many deaths, either. Many enjoy a drink sensibly. Much much less people enjoy the odd fag on a night out. Most are addicted to smoking astonishingly.

You seem to think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic? You must do to put it on the same level as tobacco.

Just misguided religious propaganda, very typical.

And you seem to think that everyone who smokes is an addict. I enjoy the occasional cigar, but I've never once said, "God, I need a smoke"; the day I say that is the day I need to stop. I appreciate that the majority of drinkers aren't alcoholics, but I also appreciate that many smokers aren't addicted to it.
What about alcohol? Or fast food? Both are more likely to be impulse buys and both are likely to cause health problems when consumed in large amounts.
This is ridiculous.

It's obviously meant to stop kids from taking up smoking. But kids don't decide to smoke because they see cigarettes in shops, they do it because older friends/siblings give them one and it goes from there.

All in all I doubt this will do anything.
Reply 23
Original post by TheSownRose
And you seem to think that everyone who smokes is an addict. I enjoy the occasional cigar, but I've never once said, "God, I need a smoke"; the day I say that is the day I need to stop. I appreciate that the majority of drinkers aren't alcoholics, but I also appreciate that many smokers aren't addicted to it.

My mum is one of them, I know. She has the odd fag and will go for months without smoking at all.

Cigars arn't comparable to cigarettes either, to be honest. I understand though that they also will be hidden away.
Reply 24
Original post by SubAtomic
Not behind the counter at the Co-op near me. But there is a full aisle of it lol

Imagine if there was a full aisle of tobacco products.
Original post by Drunk Punx
This actually has really annoyed me. On the odd occasion that I'll think to myself "I fancy some Chesterfield Blues" (I prefer them to Reds) instead of buying baccy, I now can't see if they actually have any Chesterfields there. So then the clerk has to take the time to open the screen, look for said cigarette carton, close the screen, and get back to me all whilst there's a cue forming behind me. Which doesn't do much for my social anxiety.
If there was no screen, all of that would become irrelevant if they don't have any in.

It also means I have to queue up just to ask them if they have the brand I'm after, which turns out to be a waste of my time if they don't.

As I said. Annoying.

This is precisely my problem. My favourite brands are the ones that aren't always stocked, so I like to have a little browse before I queue up.

Also, what happens to tobacconists? Surely there must be an exemption for them?

EDIT: Just seen that the ban only applies to large shops and supermarkets, small retailers are exempt until 2015.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
The anti-booze brigade is out in force I see.

The two are not comparable at all. Alcohol is nowhere near as addictive as tobacco and doesnt cause as many deaths, either. Many enjoy a drink sensibly. Much much less people enjoy the odd fag every now and again. The huge majority are addicted to smoking astonishingly.

They seem to think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. They must do to put it on the same level as tobacco.

Just misguided religious propaganda, very typical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov/01/alcohol-more-harmful-than-heroin-crack
Wait when is this happening? the article says nothing of an exact date other than later this year... well done BBC, your reporting sucks.
My mum is one of them, I know. She has the odd fag and will go for months without smoking at all.

Cigars arn't comparable to cigarettes either, to be honest. I understand though that they also will be hidden away.

It just pisses me off that I enjoy purchasing and consuming the occasional legal cigar, and now I have to buy them from the secret cupboard like I'm some sort of deviant whose activities have to be hidden away from the world. Meanwhile, every night I hear drunken idiots going past my house, waking everyone up at 2am, throwing their rubbish into our hedges, generally acting like dickheads ... and their activities are perfectly fine to display to the world!

Alcohol may cause less deaths, but IMO it's certainly more antisocial than smoking. I've never known someone have a few cigarettes and then start flashing everyone as they walk back home.
Reply 29
It hasn't stopped my local newsagent from selling single cigarettes to school kids.
It just pisses me off that I enjoy purchasing and consuming the occasional legal cigar.

Don't tell me you buy the crap that is sold in supermarkets/non-tobacconist? please go to a tobacconist to buy cigars, you will find a nicer cigar than the crap Tesco (for example) sell!!!
Reply 31

'Led by the sacked government drugs adviser David Nutt with colleagues from the breakaway Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, the study says that if drugs were classified on the basis of the harm they do, alcohol would be class A, alongside heroin and crack cocaine.'

David Nutt, I acknowledge knows what he is talking about.

This is in excess, obviously.

I've actually taken heroin once before and crack twice, and no harm came to me from that either. Or any addiction.

So, in a way I can agree with this.

The issue is tobacco though, it is quite different.
Reply 32
This is stupid!!.I dont think hiding the ciggies will stop anyone smoking!!.It's certainly not because of the pretty colours on the box that makes someone start smoking.
Original post by tehFrance
Don't tell me you buy the crap that is sold in supermarkets/non-tobacconist? please go to a tobacconist to buy cigars, you will find a nicer cigar than the crap Tesco (for example) sell!!!

Alas, I don't live particularly close to a tobacconist - if I've got a cigar planned, I'll go to the nearest one and get the cigar. However, sometimes an appropriate occasion just comes up, and then I'm limited to Waitrose. :frown:
Reply 34
And how exactly will this prevent kids from taking up the habit (which afaik is the main aim of this)?
Reply 35
It just pisses me off that I enjoy purchasing and consuming the occasional legal cigar, and now I have to buy them from the secret cupboard like I'm some sort of deviant whose activities have to be hidden away from the world. Meanwhile, every night I hear drunken idiots going past my house, waking everyone up at 2am, throwing their rubbish into our hedges, generally acting like dickheads ... and their activities are perfectly fine to display to the world!

Alcohol may cause less deaths, but IMO it's certainly more antisocial than smoking. I've never known someone have a few cigarettes and then start flashing everyone as they walk back home.

BIB- This only happens if you live right in a town centre or a number of pubs. I had the same problem before living in this predictment. It isnt the only noise and annoyance a person comes across living in busy town areas.

Second BIB-
Hardly anyone does that. I know, I live in Rochdale its full of alcoholics. Infact, the only time I've seen anyone doing that is on TV, on those programs like Booze Britain that make the country look like a bunch of pissed up clones.

Personally, I prefer drunk people to someones foul smoke blowing in my face and clogging my lungs. Cigarette smoke smells awful. Cigars do aswell.

Drink alcohol you arn't harming anyone elses body by the mere drinking of it. For many smokers they are damaging others with their foul second hand smoke. I don't let my boyfriend smoke in the house its horrible.
I remember being told in school that tobacco is the only legally available substance that when used correctly, harms the user. You shouldn't be comparing it to alcohol or fatty/sugary/fast foods.
However, I don't think covering up cigarettes are going to make a difference tbh...
BIB- This only happens if you live right in a town centre or a number of pubs. I had the same problem before living in this predictment. It isnt the only noise and annoyance a person comes across living in busy town areas.

Second BIB-
Hardly anyone does that. I know, I live in Rochdale its full of alcoholics. Infact, the only time I've seen anyone doing that is on TV, on those programs like Booze Britain that make the country look like a bunch of pissed up clones.

Personally, I prefer drunk people to someones foul smoke blowing in my face and clogging my lungs. Cigarette smoke smells awful. Cigars do aswell.

Drink alcohol you arn't harming anyone elses body by the mere drinking of it. For many smokers they are damaging others with their foul second hand smoke. I don't let my boyfriend smoke in the house its horrible.

I live on the only road into a town centre, it's a nightmare on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Apparently we're worse than Rochdale, because I've seen it and a lot of other things as well.

I can't stand drunk people. I don't dislike people who drink, I've gone out with my friends and been the only one who hasn't had an alcoholic drink. But I hate being around drunk people.

I don't smoke in my own house, I don't want all of my stuff to smell of it. But I'd far rather be standing next to someone smoking than someone who is drunk.
Reply 38
I live on the only road into a town centre, it's a nightmare on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Apparently we're worse than Rochdale, because I've seen it and a lot of other things as well.

I can't stand drunk people. I don't dislike people who drink, I've gone out with my friends and been the only one who hasn't had an alcoholic drink. But I hate being around drunk people.

I don't smoke in my own house, I don't want all of my stuff to smell of it. But I'd far rather be standing next to someone smoking than someone who is drunk.

If you smoke yourself, obviously you would rather be next to a smoker, if you despise drunk people. You atleast wouldnt mind, not going to be further damaging your health really is it?

I also dislike being in close proximity to drunk people if I am not myself drunk, which is the vast majority of the time. No one forces you to be around these people. A person behaving inappropriately in a public place whilst drunk can and likely will be arrested.

The person puffing their fag in the street or in a house and infecting others, including childrens lungs with their foulness isnt going to be arrested, or even told to stop.
(edited 11 years ago)
People still know the name of the cigarettes, so it's not exactly desirable is it... especially where I live there's a sign by the door of the closed cabinet saying ' Tobacco sold here!' takes away the message really?

Quick Reply

Latest