The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
Hanna und michael und warum sie schalfen miteinander nach Hanna schlägt Michael mit ihre Gürtel. Warum sie sagt Michael ,lass mich ins Ruhe', aber er macht das nicht und viel andere sachen.

Man könnte es so erklären, dass Hanna Michael in solchem Ausmaß manipuliert und beeinflusst hätte, dass er ihr immer zurückkehrte, wenn sie versuchte, ihn wegzustoßen.
Original post by thegodofgod

Ich hab schon ein Kommentar auf Facebook über den Film geschrieben, ich hols gleich..

It's hard to say because I loved the book because there's so much to analyse in it. I'm studying the book in my own time because I hate the one we're doing in class, which is also our text for the exam. Hence me giving myself more options against my teacher's will xD I thought it was brave making the film in that it's like David copperfield or great expectations in that you have the erlebendes ich, ie the one living and experiencing the story and describing his feelings but at the same time you have the erzählendes ich, the older narrator looking back on it all, but dickens I think makes more of a divide between the two, giving it a moral tone suitable to the time period. They did skip some truly significant parts, like the argument in the hotel room where hanna hits him with the belt, and how she's supposed to turn up to the swimming pool and he doesn't acknowledge her, which again was skipped out, and the fight where she's in the tram and (that was done weirdly too; she's meant to be joking and laughing with the driver in a bitchy way) ignores him missed the point...the point was him capitulating and taking the whole blame upon himself, setting the pattern for the rest of the relationship...other things too! He wasn't supposed to be a lawyer! That's the point, that he's too cowardly to qualify and face the real world and take the task of pointing fingers at the guilty because he personally knew how subjective it was and that concentration camp workers were not automatically bad people, and so went into the field of the history of the law instead, symbolising his reluctance to abandon the past and yet inability to learn to deal with it. Also the omission of the relationship with his father yet the promotion of his relationship with the professor...and I suppose by stripping Michael of his narration they had to make him more human and sympathetic somehow, hence the role of his daughter. I thought they made hanna a bit too vulnerable (although I suppose we never saw her in the book) and added weird conversations like the one about "the camps are not therapy" and I think it was a shame that they didn't focus on the historical context enough... I thought the concept of collective guilt was handled quite clumsily and it's a shame they omitted the conversation with the lorry driver. Sometimes I think no one ever wants to deal with the fact that normal people helped with the holocaust too... The whole thing was a bit too one sided IMO, as the narrow minded "your whole generation was responsible" was done perfectly, just as Schlink described, but the reality that it could have happened to any nation, and the result would have been the same, and the difficulty of pointing the finger of blame at your ex-lover and love of your life as a heartless nazi criminal weren't given enough prominence. Also little things like a certain sentence being intended as a joke but in the film said seriously, or even the implausibility of young Michael turning into Ralph fiennes over ten years o.o I can't view the film objectively at all because I know the book so well, but I think it flowed nicely and portrayed the emotions well xD you?

Und ja, ich weiß, dass ich nicht über den Film schreiben sollte...ich hab das nie gemacht und werd das auch nie machen...ich bin doch Literaturstudentin (naja werd bald eine sein), vergiss das nicht :wink:

Snowflake, man kann das nicht als logisch beschrieben, was sie machen und wie sie sich benehmen. Entweder versteht man ihr Verhalten oder nicht^^
Original post by such_a_lady
Ich hab schon ein Kommentar auf Facebook über den Film geschrieben, ich hols gleich..

It's hard to say because I loved the book because there's so much to analyse in it. I'm studying the book in my own time because I hate the one we're doing in class, which is also our text for the exam. Hence me giving myself more options against my teacher's will xD I thought it was brave making the film in that it's like David copperfield or great expectations in that you have the erlebendes ich, ie the one living and experiencing the story and describing his feelings but at the same time you have the erzählendes ich, the older narrator looking back on it all, but dickens I think makes more of a divide between the two, giving it a moral tone suitable to the time period. They did skip some truly significant parts, like the argument in the hotel room where hanna hits him with the belt, and how she's supposed to turn up to the swimming pool and he doesn't acknowledge her, which again was skipped out, and the fight where she's in the tram and (that was done weirdly too; she's meant to be joking and laughing with the driver in a bitchy way) ignores him missed the point...the point was him capitulating and taking the whole blame upon himself, setting the pattern for the rest of the relationship...other things too! He wasn't supposed to be a lawyer! That's the point, that he's too cowardly to qualify and face the real world and take the task of pointing fingers at the guilty because he personally knew how subjective it was and that concentration camp workers were not automatically bad people, and so went into the field of the history of the law instead, symbolising his reluctance to abandon the past and yet inability to learn to deal with it. Also the omission of the relationship with his father yet the promotion of his relationship with the professor...and I suppose by stripping Michael of his narration they had to make him more human and sympathetic somehow, hence the role of his daughter. I thought they made hanna a bit too vulnerable (although I suppose we never saw her in the book) and added weird conversations like the one about "the camps are not therapy" and I think it was a shame that they didn't focus on the historical context enough... I thought the concept of collective guilt was handled quite clumsily and it's a shame they omitted the conversation with the lorry driver. Sometimes I think no one ever wants to deal with the fact that normal people helped with the holocaust too... The whole thing was a bit too one sided IMO, as the narrow minded "your whole generation was responsible" was done perfectly, just as Schlink described, but the reality that it could have happened to any nation, and the result would have been the same, and the difficulty of pointing the finger of blame at your ex-lover and love of your life as a heartless nazi criminal weren't given enough prominence. Also little things like a certain sentence being intended as a joke but in the film said seriously, or even the implausibility of young Michael turning into Ralph fiennes over ten years o.o I can't view the film objectively at all because I know the book so well, but I think it flowed nicely and portrayed the emotions well xD you?

Und ja, ich weiß, dass ich nicht über den Film schreiben sollte...ich hab das nie gemacht und werd das auch nie machen...ich bin doch Literaturstudentin (naja werd bald eine sein), vergiss das nicht :wink:

Snowflake, man kann das nicht als logisch beschrieben, was sie machen und wie sie sich benehmen. Entweder versteht man ihr Verhalten oder nicht^^

Ja, das ist so wahr.

Der Vergleich, den du zwischen dem Roman und dem Film angestellt hat, ist sehr gut - du bist viel im Einzelnen darauf eingegangen, was zeigt, dass du ersichtlich über dieses Werk schreiben kannst, da du den Roman gut kennst und verstehst, was am wichtigsten ist :smile:
ahhhhhh so much German ... and here's me thinking I've improved a lot :sigh:

Anywho, I have my exams in 3 weeks and for some reason my grammar is now dreadful :no:

I noted that it mainly word order, prepositions and cases. Is there much I can do to improve it? my vocabulary is improving though :biggrin:

Ohhh one more thing... how can I write more quicker? I seem to run out of things to say quite frequently and it leaves me struggling to finish

(i would've written that in German but then you'd see my bad grammar :colonhash:)
Original post by chickenonsteroids
ahhhhhh so much German ... and here's me thinking I've improved a lot :sigh:

Anywho, I have my exams in 3 weeks and for some reason my grammar is now dreadful :no:

I noted that it mainly word order, prepositions and cases. Is there much I can do to improve it? my vocabulary is improving though :biggrin:

Ohhh one more thing... how can I write more quicker? I seem to run out of things to say quite frequently and it leaves me struggling to finish

(i would've written that in German but then you'd see my bad grammar :colonhash:)

Word order - und, aber, sondern, oder, denn all take normal word order. Everytihng else changes it.
Prepositions - I had to learn them parrot fashion in year 8, so i know which ones take which case...
Original post by .snowflake.
Word order - und, aber, sondern, oder, denn all take normal word order. Everytihng else changes it.
Prepositions - I had to learn them parrot fashion in year 8, so i know which ones take which case...

I understand those but sometimes I just make odd mistakes and I want to make sure that stops happening. I can't think of an example right now. I think that's the same with prepositions.

I was looking through my work and I can't really pinpoint what's going wrong. I just know it isn't good enough. I think i'm learning a lot of words in the wrong context :sadnod:
Reply 3646
All you can do really (aside from learning prepositions/tables off by heart) is expose yourself to the language as much as possible. Read Zeit Online/Der Spiegel every day, watch movies and do the Video Thema stuff on Deutsche Welle. How bad are your mistakes though? As long as you remember the 5 words above that take normal word order, the "time, manner, place" and "verb 2nd idea" rules, you should be OK as far as word order goes.

As for essay writing (which I'm not great at myself), make notes for all the relevant topics, including advantages/disadvantages of stuff (e.g integration, nuclear power, tourism, sport, etc), and at A2, quotes (your marks will shoot right up if you include relevant quotes from Angela Merkel and other important people), key dates and events, and things the government are (not) doing to fix things in Germany. It's a good idea to collect some synonyms too so you're not just repeating "Kernkraftwerk" or whatever over and over again in your essay.
Ich bewerbe mich zurzeit um Praktikantenstellen in Deutschland und habe gerade eben ein Bewerbungsschreiben geschrieben. Könnte ein/eine Muttersprachler/in es sich anschauen und mir sagen, ob einige sprachlichen Mängel und grammatikalischen Ungereimtheiten augebügelt werden müssen?
Und hier, das Anschreiben selbst:

Bewerbung um eine Praktikantenstelle

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

auf der Suche nach einem lehrreichen und niveauvollen Arbeitsumfeld im Bereich Übersetzung bin ich auf Ihr Unternehmen aufmerksam geworden. Für die von Ihnen ausgeschriebene Stelle als Praktikant Übersetzungen erfülle ich alle Voraussetzungen. Darum bewerbe ich mich hiermit um ein dreimonatiges Praktikum bei Ihrer Firma. Wegen meines Studiums könnte ich Ihnen vom 25. Mai 2012 bis zum 31. September 2012 zur Verfügung stehen.

Besonders bin ich an einer Tätigkeit im Bereich Übersetzung interessiert, da dieser ein Studienschwerpunkt in meinem Germanistikstudium an der Universität Exeter darstellt. Letztes Semester machte ich ein Modul in Advanced Translation Skills und schnitt in der Einstufung gut ab. Zudem besuchte ich während meines Studiums einen Kurs in Wirtschaftsdeutsch und möchte mich auf diesem Gebiet spezialisieren. Ich bin zu einem Master in Übersetzung an der Universität Exeter, den ich im Oktober anfangen werde, zugelassen worden. Nach Abschluss des Studiums strebe ich eine Tätigkeit in diesem Bereich an.

Englisch ist meine Muttersprache. Ich verfüge über sehr gute Deutschkenntnisse in Wort und Schrift. Außerdem besitze ich gute Kenntnisse des Französischen. Durch die reguläre Nutzung von Microsoft Office bin ich mit den Programmen Word, PowerPoint und Excel gut vertraut. Während ich gerne in einem Team arbeite, bin ich auch selbstständiges Arbeiten gewöhnt. Als ich an einem deutschen Gymnasium als Englischassistent arbeitete, unterichtete ich sowohl allein als auch mit anderen Lehrern. Auf Verlangen kann ich Ihnen jederzeit Zeugnisse meiner früheren Arbeitgeber vorlegen.

Es würde mich sehr freuen, wenn ich meine persönlichen Fähigkeiten in Ihr Unternehmen mit einbringen und mich aktiv am Übersetzungsprozess beteiligen könnte. Auf diese Weise erhoffe ich mir umfangreiche Erfahrungen in diesem Bereich machen zu können, die mich in meiner Studien- und Berufswahl noch bestärken.

Ich würde mich freuen, in Ihrem Unternehmen meine Fähigkeiten beweisen zu können.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Original post by Modestmouse
Und hier, das Anschreiben selbst:

Bewerbung um eine Praktikantenstelle

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

auf der Suche nach einem lehrreichen und niveauvollen Arbeitsumfeld im Bereich Übersetzung bin ich auf Ihr Unternehmen aufmerksam geworden. Für die von Ihnen ausgeschriebene Stelle als Praktikant Übersetzungen erfülle ich alle Voraussetzungen. Darum bewerbe ich mich hiermit um ein dreimonatiges Praktikum bei Ihrer Firma. Wegen meines Studiums könnte ich Ihnen vom 25. Mai 2012 bis zum 31. September 2012 zur Verfügung stehen.

Besonders bin ich an einer Tätigkeit im Bereich Übersetzung interessiert, da diese ein Studienschwerpunkt in meinem Germanistikstudium an der Universität Exeter darstellt. Letztes Semester machte ich ein Modul in Advanced Translation Skills und schnitt in der Einstufung gut ab. Zudem besuchte ich während meines Studiums einen Kurs in Wirtschaftsdeutsch und möchte mich auf diesem Gebiet spezialisieren. Ich bin zu einem Master in Übersetzung an der Universität Exeter, den ich im Oktober anfangen werde, zugelassen worden. Nach Abschluss des Studiums strebe ich eine Tätigkeit in diesem Bereich an.

Englisch ist meine Muttersprache. Ich verfüge über sehr gute Deutschkenntnisse in Wort und Schrift. Außerdem besitze ich gute Kenntnisse in der französischen Sprache. Durch die reguläre Nutzung von Microsoft Office bin ich mit den Programmen Word, PowerPoint und Excel gut vertraut. Weil ich gerne in einem Team arbeite, bin ich auch selbstständiges Arbeiten gewöhnt. Als ich an einem deutschen Gymnasium als Englischassistent arbeitete, unterichtete ich sowohl allein als auch mit anderen Lehrern. Auf Verlangen kann ich Ihnen jederzeit Zeugnisse meiner früheren Arbeitgeber vorlegen.

Es würde mich sehr freuen, wenn ich meine persönlichen Fähigkeiten in Ihr Unternehmen mit einbringen und mich aktiv am Übersetzungsprozess beteiligen könnte. Auf diese Weise erhoffe ich mir umfangreiche Erfahrungen in diesem Bereich machen zu können, die mich in meiner Studien- und Berufswahl noch bestärken.

Ich würde mich freuen, in Ihrem Unternehmen meine Fähigkeiten beweisen zu können.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ich habe all das was mir verbesserungswürdig erschien in Fettdruck gesetzt. Ansonsten sieht es nach einer ordentlichen Bewerung aus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hallo :smile:

I'm doing German AS, and have my exam in 4-5 weeks; I was wondering if anyone who has done it could help me out, because I'm finding the reading hard, and often the writing.
Any tips? :smile:
thanks in advance.
I'm on Ed excel board
Original post by Kallisto
Ich habe all das, was mir verbesserungswürdig erschien, in Fettdruck gesetzt. Ansonsten sieht es nach einer ordentlichen Bewerung aus.

Nichts zu danken! Im Gegegnzug kannst du mir ja helfen. Wann verwenden englischsprachige Menschen das Wort "Nevertheless" und wann "However" am Satzanfang? Und wann verwenden sie "Furthermore" um auf etwas anderweitiges zu deuten und wann nicht?
Nichts zu danken! Im Gegegnzug kannst du mir ja helfen. Wann verwenden englischsprachige Menschen das Wort "Nevertheless" und wann "However" am Satzanfang? Und wann verwenden sie "Furthermore" um auf etwas anderweitiges zu deuten und wann nicht?

Na klar:

"Nevertheless" und "however" sind gleichbedeutend. Wenn überhaupt, dann ist "nevertheless" eher formell. Beide können auch inmitten oder am Ende des Satzes verwendet werden:

"It has been a bad year for us financially. We have, however, tried our best."

"He stopped learning German when he left school. He still knows the basics, however."

"Furthermore" = außerdem, zudem usw. "Moreover" ist formeller als "furthermore" und "in addition".
(...) "Moreover" ist formeller als "furthermore" und "in addition".

Das wollte ich nur hören. Danke!
Ich habe all das was mir verbesserungswürdig erschien in Fettdruck gesetzt. Ansonsten sieht es nach einer ordentlichen Bewerung aus.

Hallo Kallisto,

ich würde 'während' nicht durch 'weil' ersetzen, eher durch 'obschon'.
Ich habe modestmouse so verstanden, dass er zwar gerne oder sogar lieber im Team arbeitet, aber auch ganz gut eigenverantwortlich und selbständig arbeiten kann.
Originally Posted by Kallisto
Ich habe all das, was mir verbesserungswürdig erschien, in Fettdruck gesetzt. Ansonsten sieht es nach einer ordentlichen Bewerung aus.

Hallo modestmouse,

tolle Bewerbung, wenn ich ein Übersetzungsbüro hätte, würde ich dich glatt nehmen. Ich habe gegen einen von Kallistos Verbesserungsvorschlägen Einwände angemeldet. Mit 'während' bin ich zwar auch nicht ganz glücklich, aber es trifft es eher als 'weil'. Ich habe 'obschon' vorgeschlagen.
Original post by AishaTara

I'm doing German AS, and have my exam in 4-5 weeks; I was wondering if anyone who has done it could help me out, because I'm finding the reading hard, and often the writing.
thanks in advance.
I'm on Ed excel board

I sat this exam last year, so feel free to ask me stuff :smile:
Original post by AishaTara

thanks in advance.
I'm on Ed excel board

I'm resitting AS with AQA this year. Do you find the writing difficult because you don't know what to say, or because your marks arent great? Admittedly I was producing work getting between 22-26/35 as homework, then apparently got 19 in the exam...
Original post by thegodofgod
I sat this exam last year, so feel free to ask me stuff :smile:

I'm intending to apply for Medicine, so need to get atleast a B in this exam, and was wondering do you have any tips for the Reading and Writing. :biggrin:
thanks

Quick Reply